Gas Lockers.... always required or dependant on setup?

when you fill, you are filling liquid and not gas vapour.. This liquid expands to 400% of its volume! so you will have a nice gas supply! you might also want to consider an external gas bbq point....

Note, in the previous posted pics of the red tank, I spy, with my little eye...... White tape on gas joints!

Also on the pressure gauge joint!!!!

DO NOT DO THIS! It's ruddy dangerousness! Test on first fill with a water soap spray, and look for bubbles in the liquid sprayed.. Also use your nose.. DO NOT use a match! :rofl:

1st fill.... Put a small amount 1ltr in the tank with it isolated, and check for leaks.. Then open up gas manifold etc, and check for leaks.. Then when happy, fill up..

The gas joints use a sealing washer thingy, called an olive, does not need or want white tape!

Last edited:
Also if your van is a 4 motion you cannot fit a tank underneath because of the Dif

In that case, mount spare on rear hatch (looks tough :eek::rofl:), then fit twin cylinders underneath in its place,, as twins mean reserve and main (Other than fun.. Ahem :rofl: ), but also they hold more than a wheel shaped tank, as they are like a polo with a hole for regulator etc in the middle...

Last edited:
Mines Isn't 4wd so no issue there. I just need to cost it all up and see what the damage is. The gas tank setup will be more than budgeted but the propex heater is cheaper than the eberspacher. I just need to work out where I can put there heater as I was getting an underbody eberspacher.

In the short term I'm going to put a bottle in the units under the cooker with a flexible hose and no locker but long term may be the underslung lpg

Good call, it's worth a good ponder, gives good internal space, reliability, cost is offset by easier and cheaper fills, run cooker, heater and bbq, heater wise is cheaper as LPG is cheaper than derv but in the meantime enjoy the van m8 :thumbsup:

External gas BBQ point - mind blown. This could get expensive !
It's just a t piece under the van, with another bit of pipe and a fitting on the end.. Expense is in the bbq, and the food & beer consumed afterwards... :rofl::rofl:

It's just a t piece under the van, with another bit of pipe and a fitting on the end.. Expense is in the bbq, and the food & beer consumed afterwards... :rofl::rofl:
That's what I mean. Going to need a trailer to tow the BBQ and beers which means I need a tow bar fitted too :D. In all seriousness though I didn't even think of an external gas BBQ. That could be fun. Something for down the line potentially

:D:D You might like this idea then...........

Where you have the grommet for the adblue filler is where you mount your LPG fill point.. Here's some pics, if needs you put an extension screw on adapter when you want to fill, which with an under slung won't be much...

image.jpeg This is what you are looking to mount

image.jpeg

This is an adapter extension.. But think you will have room to fill without it...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Just had a browse, you have plenty of room to fill as std...

Another idea for the petrol engined '6 there then.. LPG gas injection conversion...

Looks like a great place to put the filler. Saves reaching about under the van or cutting a hole in a panel

Looks like a great place to put the filler. Saves reaching about under the van or cutting a hole in a panel

Looks like a more sensible solution to your quandaries every time you look into it.. Just hope it all stacks up for you mate..

sorry to hop onto your thread XP, but quick question: do i need a gas locker if we use a portable gas bottle for a bbq/external cooker? the bottle wouldnt be connected to anything permenantly... but would be strapped down obvs for when travelling..

sorry to hop onto your thread XP, but quick question: do i need a gas locker if we use a portable gas bottle for a bbq/external cooker? the bottle wouldnt be connected to anything permenantly... but would be strapped down obvs for when travelling..

No, not if it's essentially being transported like in a car boot, and not used or connected inside van..

Not a problem, I would rather people were jumping in and asking gas questions so that all the info is here for people in the same boat later

Back