Fuel Gauge Not Working And Component Protection.

@Loz can we help him out also with the schematic for the temp sensor....?

I'm at a family dooo atm.

Br/ws is the chassis ground via the main loom...

You should have less than 5ohms to ground.

The pump should show voltage across the two terminals when engine running.... 12v-14vdc.

View attachment 44051

So is that 0.35 what my multimeter was showing?

Do you think I could try earthing to the van body from the fuel connector to see it that makes any difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I’ll have another look in the morning..
I can do most things mechanically but I’m a novice with wiring etc..

This is what the 3 sender unit wires are reading.. all the same.
Could you change the measuring range to AC (instead of just DC) to see if you get "proper" readings also then. Just thinking that most modern sensors are transmitting data instead of steady DC voltage levels. If you had a multimeter with frequency metering that would definitely reveal data transmissions.

@Loz can we help him out also with the schematic for the temp sensor....?

I'm at a family dooo atm.
It’s on the fuel2 drawing you posted earlier, brown/yellow G17

I wonder if it one of the earths on the earth point behind the instruments or the instruments control unit itself?

It’s on the fuel2 drawing you posted earlier, brown/yellow G17

I wonder if it one of the earths on the earth point behind the instruments or the instruments control unit itself?
Oh yeah...... didn't even realise...

Seems strange that both issues use a common ground....!

But the 410 ground could be easily tested anywhere on his exposed loom for a good 0ohms or <3ohms.

The other sensor feeds for both go direct to the dash pod....so I'd take the pod out and bell-out the cores end to end.

I'd also check.. EVERY SINGLE FUSE in the lower dash fusebox (with engine running so most are live), for a random fuse that may be feeding the dash pod. (Just incase we've missed a blown fuse).

Have a look here...

Same style sensor.....

And an average fuel level sensor..

So, I couldn’t find an earth point near the instrument cluster.. the cluster is still out the dash but connected up.
So I ran 2 wires from the joint in the fuel sender loom to my spare sender unit and then ran an earth from that loom to the van body (where the double passenger seat bolt is).. and hey presto the fuel gauge works!
Would it be ok now to reconnect the loom back together and just link into the earth wire and fix it to the van body as a permanent earth point? Will that affect anything? I was also going to do the same with the outside temp sensor too..
The fault must be the earth but I can’t trace it back to its earth point?

Its sounding like the 410 earth point is bad then....

Should be fine doing what you suggested.... you would in effect just be adding a second body ground (0v earth) to the 410 loom wire....

Did you look at @Loz link above for the earth point locations?....but you can re-earth anywhere on the 410 line.

Its sounding like the 410 earth point is bad then....

Should be fine doing what you suggested.... you would in effect just be adding a second body ground (0v earth) to the 410 loom wire....

Did you look at @Loz link above for the earth point locations?....but you can re-earth anywhere on the 410 line.
Yeah I did but couldn’t work it out?

Yeh I looked too and couldn't see any reference to the 410 final ground connection either.

Right, I’ve re done the earth for the sender unit and all working! Thank god!
Now if I was to do the outside temp sensor, will one of the wires going into it be an earth too?

Yes. One wire to the dash pod, and to the missing 410 ground..

So give the temp sensor a new ground and see if it starts working like the fuel gauge did.

That's good... the schematic shows that they both share the 410 common ground...

So now you have fixed that ground ..... that makes perfect sense..

Out of interest where/how did you make the new ground connection?

Back