Front mud flaps (not OEM) rusting door

Mud guards removed and trimmed. Mine seemed to sit up slightly at the front so only the corner of the door was rubbing. I ground a little off the front edge until there was an even clear gap as opposed to cutting the whole edge off.
I’d still recommend these guards over the standard ones (I’ve had a set and they were forever hanging off). Just make sure you trim them down to get that clear gap to the door.

E0A95CBE-FAD8-4CCF-885D-1407E7578A0B.jpeg95D2A542-96B6-40B8-B4CD-1CACA7178C21.jpegD4C973CE-360D-4C39-8C37-8F504A711BEC.jpeg

Credit to @Shaun Witts for bringing this to everyone’s attention.

I bought a set of the travelin-lite mud flaps off @Rattlehead. Having seen the warnings here I trimmed mine as I fit them. They trimmed easily with a Stanley knife. They did rub the door before trimming, they don’t now. I also added a second screw on the outboard side through the mud flap into the plastic wheel arch trim to hold the mud flap in place (hopefully) and stop it from moving and possibly rubbing on the door.

156F88AA-F4FA-499B-B62C-DE39F987F382.jpeg

5C07F8BF-86EF-46BF-AFE3-6445F7F0A37E.jpeg

F4C75144-DBA0-4AF3-9B53-3880EFD9BD9A.jpeg

6790E8C0-842E-4FF9-9BE1-F65C8C728DC5.jpeg

I bought a set of three travelin-lite mud guards of @Rattlehead Having seen the warnings here I trimmed mine as I fit them. They trimmed easily with a Stanley knife. They did rub the door before trimming, they don’t now. I also added a second screw on the outboard side through the mud flap into the plastic wheel arch trim to hold the mud flap in place (hopefully) and stop it from moving and possibly rubbing on the door.

C22AE211-4C2C-43C4-9111-EC74615B247B.jpeg

C15C4785-C382-4699-AC37-77C9134B087D.jpeg
These are the mud flaps when the doors are closed.

Just noticed rust on both my doors at the weekend when washing the van. booked van in to get the paint touched up before rust sets in properly (hopefully not too late) and will look to modify mine improve clearance.

That reminds me - I should check my doors to see whether my touch-up did the job or has started rusting through. If I remember correctly, I used some rust treatment (the type that turns rust black) then some zinc primer and a standard VW touch-up kit. I may have first rubbed it down slightly with a glass-fibre pencil?

Anyway, I moved on to OEM style front mudflaps (keeping the moulded ones on the rear), initially pattern ones, but they rusted quickly and were quite stiff, so with occasional bumping off kerbs (done carefully - but the mudflap would still catch) they didn’t flex enough and eventually the metal support/mount strip fatigued and broke. Genuine VW ones are a fair bit more flexible.

Reactions: CAB
Strange this came up as I removed my moulded front ones at the weekend and pulled the arch back to clean inside. Id urge anyone to do this as the amount of debris was a huge. Id forgotten that the arch liner covers the front part of the sill, Im not sure these moulded ones do much if anything in terms of preventing mud on the door.

I was considering the rally style ones that attach to arch liner and cut to fit what is required. Would be interesting to see if anyone has done that.

Back