Front mud flaps (not OEM) rusting door

Shaun Witts

Ski Bus
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have some of the moulded mud flaps that seem to fit well and are attached by just the one screw (if I remember correctly).
However I was quite disappointed to spot a small area of rust on the bottom of my door and can see how that has been caused by the tight clearance between the plastic mud flaps and the bottom of the door.
My van is only 2 years old with 25k miles and has been regularly washed and polished, so I am quite p*ssed off!
The issue can just be seen in this photo.
A warning to others who may have these mud flaps fitted.
C7BF75BE-CA03-4A3A-A3E9-2C1CED0931B7.jpeg

Yes, exactly the reason I only trial fitted mine and got rid straight away, they rubbed the bottom of the door.
There's a thread on here where a chap has made them fit well by adding extra screws i believe, I'll have a look.

Thanks for the heads up gents......I haven't had time to fit mine but I'll be paying special attention when I do! :thumbsup:

I have had mine on for 2 months, they touch the bottom door so going to swap them for a more OEM style. Mine (travelinlite) ones are not the best anyway and they are pretty small.
Thanks @Shaun Witts for the heads up, hope you get it sorted!

got mine from travelinlite.
As a heads up I had to trim the front ones as it clashed with my front jacking point. my van is 2017 Kombi Highline. easy enough to do but as with most van jobs, took longer than I thought!

May be worth offering them up to your van in the plastic before you commit to fitting to check your happy with them. Back fiited really nicely

Can someone be kind enough to post pictures of the front ones once they have been modified not to rub on the door?
Just dodged the showers to 'dry' fit mine (ha-ha!) and the door rubs.... So now I'm wondering whether to modify them or send them back.....Modification would require about a 5mm strip being removed along the top edge which fits over the cill, or sanding/trimming in the horizontal plane to increase the clearance beneath the door, but this could be unsightly.....

Anyone else who has modified them got any tips??

Just dodged the showers to 'dry' fit mine (ha-ha!) and the door rubs.... So now I'm wondering whether to modify them or send them back.....Modification would require about a 5mm strip being removed along the top edge which fits over the cill, or sanding/trimming in the horizontal plane to increase the clearance beneath the door, but this could be unsightly.....

Exactly my thoughts, I ordered some yesterday, nothing is simple...

Hi yes what you describe is exactly what I have done. Although I just cut the material away with a sharp knife. Left a nice smooth edge.

I tested to make sure there was clearance using masking tape stuck to the mud flap whilst opening and closing door.

Also drilled a drain hole in the bottom of the moulding that attached to the sill, as I noticed it created a little well the hold a small about of water.

thanks to this thread I spotted it before they did any damage. Shame cause once trimmed they work so much better than the oem mud flap

Not sure why the designers didn’t drill a drain hole. Just a couple of modifications and these would be pretty decent for not a lot of money.

I will cut mine tomorrow, fitted them today and they do not rub now but they are super super tight. So with time if they move only the slightest they will rub for sure.

I have already modified the front ones to get a better fit. When finishen they will probably not look as good, but I will not leave them as is.

Added drainholes to the front ones as they would trap alot of water.

20210501_224044.jpg

20210501_224056.jpg

20210501_222755.jpg

Last edited:
Will check mine later today too.
I wonder if a bit of PPF around the bottom of the door edge would do the trick???

I think it will be a to tight fit to add ppf (paint protection film?). That area get alot of dirt and I think it will wear through quick and you must check on it all the time. I think the way to go is to cut of the part that go up under the door.

Just checked.
Mine have rubbed too and a little bit of the paint on both sides has come away.
Will be cutting them down tomorrow and touching up the paint.
No rust though luckily.
I’m going to cut them down as opposed to removing them as they do catch a reasonable amount of crud that would otherwise be fired under and along the side of the van.

Back