Tips for sliding door channels/runners maintenance?

Fin5150

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Having previously had 2 T4s, both of which eventually suffered from the inevitable lower sliding door channel rot, that got so bad the door would actually drop and dislodge from the door aperture while sliding it shut, requiring a deft, 2 handed, one knee, lift slide and push, all at the same time technique, just to get the damn thing to close…..I am keen to keep my T6 slider in as good condition as I can. Does anyone have any recommendations for regular cleaning/lubrication/grease/water repelling products to help maintain silky smooth door action for years to come? It’s such a luxury having a door that you can actually push and let go off and it slides shut itself, rather than manhandling and the nasty graunching, scraping sound I was used to before.
Should I pressure wash the channels regular or use some kind of rust inhibitor, it looks like a much smaller gap along the bottom channel on the T6 than was on the 4 and not sure if there is grease in there that I should avoid blasting with a washer or not?
Cheers

This is something that I was thinking about today after washing my van, I noticed that the surface that the side door roller moves back and forward over is looking a bit rusty. I was wondering if it might help to put a strip of something over that line that the roller travels over....will await the wisdom of the forum with interest..

This is something that I was thinking about today after washing my van, I noticed that the surface that the side door roller moves back and forward over is looking a bit rusty. I was wondering if it might help to put a strip of something over that line that the roller travels over....will await the wisdom of the forum with interest..
Rusty already? Jesus!! That doesn’t fill me with confidence :uh run:

Rusty already? Jesus!! That doesn’t fill me with confidence :uh run:
Maybe rusty is the wrong word to use... But I do feel like it needs something to keep it in good condition. Perhaps it's accumulated dust/crap but it did have a slightly brown hue to it. I couldn't tell if it runs along a sacrificial layer or not.

Maybe rusty is the wrong word to use... But I do feel like it needs something to keep it in good condition. Perhaps it's accumulated dust/crap but it did have a slightly brown hue to it. I couldn't tell if it runs along a sacrificial layer or not.
What did you end up doing ? I notice the paint has worn where the roller runs - and wouldn’t want it to get rusty

I haven't done anything yet as I'm still waiting on a response from VW about a possible corrosion warranty claim in that area. Once I know what they will or won't do then I'll take some steps to rectify it

(Not sure if this is ok to ask here, or should I start a new thread...?) I recently replaced the lower roller on the sliding door on my T6 with a non-genuine part. Looks identical to the original, managed to get it fitted, all seems ok, except for 1 issue. When the door is opened fully, the spring mechanism at the bottom which catches the bottom roller and keeps the door open seems to lock up. I cannot easily slide the door and shut it. It needs a fair amount of force and jolting to get the door released before I can slide it closed. That mechanism in the bottom corner doesn't seem to have any adjustment... Just wondering if anyone's had this problem, and what they've done to fix it.

I've tried searching for a replacement of that catch, but can't find it - I don't actually know what it's called. I've checked the online catalogue at Auto Doc but all they have are the 3 different rollers (lower, middle, top) for LHD or RHD vehicles. Any ideas?

In the meantime, to assist other members who posted here, what I did while the roller was out was... wipe away all the muck from the channel with a wet rag, lightly sand it to remove any light surface rust, apply a primer and lightly sprayed it black. As it's usually going to be hidden as long as the door is closed, I wasn't too bothered trying to match the paint colour to the original, and just went with black instead. I did not apply any form of grease, because of the comments that this will just attract dirt, so I left it painted. The rollers slide perfectly over that with no issues, apart from getting stuck in the fully open position. PS. The part I replaced the door roller with was this one: https://www.auto-doc.ie/jp-group/12904551

(Not sure if this is ok to ask here, or should I start a new thread...?) I recently replaced the lower roller on the sliding door on my T6 with a non-genuine part. Looks identical to the original, managed to get it fitted, all seems ok, except for 1 issue. When the door is opened fully, the spring mechanism at the bottom which catches the bottom roller and keeps the door open seems to lock up. I cannot easily slide the door and shut it. It needs a fair amount of force and jolting to get the door released before I can slide it closed. That mechanism in the bottom corner doesn't seem to have any adjustment... Just wondering if anyone's had this problem, and what they've done to fix it.

I've tried searching for a replacement of that catch, but can't find it - I don't actually know what it's called. I've checked the online catalogue at Auto Doc but all they have are the 3 different rollers (lower, middle, top) for LHD or RHD vehicles. Any ideas?

In the meantime, to assist other members who posted here, what I did while the roller was out was... wipe away all the muck from the channel with a wet rag, lightly sand it to remove any light surface rust, apply a primer and lightly sprayed it black. As it's usually going to be hidden as long as the door is closed, I wasn't too bothered trying to match the paint colour to the original, and just went with black instead. I did not apply any form of grease, because of the comments that this will just attract dirt, so I left it painted. The rollers slide perfectly over that with no issues, apart from getting stuck in the fully open position. PS. The part I replaced the door roller with was this one: https://www.auto-doc.ie/jp-group/12904551
Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I've got the same thing after replacing the bottom roller on my van.

Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I've got the same thing after replacing the bottom roller on my van.
Nope, I could not find that part online. I've actually just been thinking the last few days that I need to ring VW and just order that bottom spring catch and refit it. It did get stuck quite badly there a few weeks ago, and I had to undo the roller arm to free it. I think the problem is that the catch itself doesn't seem to be sitting straight anymore, and when you try to release the door, the rollers on the arm are getting caught against the frame of that catch, and not really rolling off the spring part. I'd say that you could possibly fix it by bending the bracket a little bit, to angle the bottom part a bit more downwards towards the ground. Don't know if that makes sense. I might try it over the weekend and take pictures of what I mean, and let you know if it works.

Nope, I could not find that part online. I've actually just been thinking the last few days that I need to ring VW and just order that bottom spring catch and refit it. It did get stuck quite badly there a few weeks ago, and I had to undo the roller arm to free it. I think the problem is that the catch itself doesn't seem to be sitting straight anymore, and when you try to release the door, the rollers on the arm are getting caught against the frame of that catch, and not really rolling off the spring part. I'd say that you could possibly fix it by bending the bracket a little bit, to angle the bottom part a bit more downwards towards the ground. Don't know if that makes sense. I might try it over the weekend and take pictures of what I mean, and let you know if it works.
Yeah, that's exactly what is happening to mine, it is getting stuck as it leaves the stopper and tries to enter the guide rail of the van. I have to remove the roller mechanism every single time I have tried it so far. I'm thinking of just buying the genuine roller and see how that goes.

Mine started doing the same after I replaced the bottom roller with the aftermarket one. You'll find if you push the door and pull it straight away it releases. Or at least mine does.

Just to provide an update here to hopefully save someone else a load of hassle. I replaced the bottom roller with another one (a better made one as it turns out) and my problem is now solved. Rollers fall back in to the stopper and easily release when I close the door. Looking at the part I replace, the newer one looks like it has more of a chamfer (if that's the correct word) on the smaller rollers, so they clear the start of the rail easier.

Keeping those sliding door channels on your T6 smooth is all about keeping them clean and lightly lubed. I make a habit of giving mine a quick wipe and spray with a silicone-based lubricant every few months. It's like magic - keeps everything sliding smooth without attracting all that grime. Just a little bit of care avoids a whole lot of hassle down the road. Keep an eye out for any signs of rust or weird resistance when you slide the door; tackling that early can save you big time.
Do you mean you spray the rubber all the way around the sliding door?

Just to provide an update here to hopefully save someone else a load of hassle. I replaced the bottom roller with another one (a better made one as it turns out) and my problem is now solved. Rollers fall back in to the stopper and easily release when I close the door. Looking at the part I replace, the newer one looks like it has more of a chamfer (if that's the correct word) on the smaller rollers, so they clear the start of the rail easier.
Thanks. I did order a new lower catch, genuine part from VW. Have it there, just need to fit it this weekend, but I was wondering the same thing - because the new roller I fitted is non-genuine, it may still get stuck... VW wanted €173+VAT for a genuine roller, while the non-genuine parts online are available from like €25. Do you have a link to the better one you got?

Thanks. I did order a new lower catch, genuine part from VW. Have it there, just need to fit it this weekend, but I was wondering the same thing - because the new roller I fitted is non-genuine, it may still get stuck... VW wanted €173+VAT for a genuine roller, while the non-genuine parts online are available from like €25. Do you have a link to the better one you got?
This is the one I bought - https://www.autodoc.co.uk/topran/8210585, I see it is now out of stock but I'm sure they'll have it back in stock soon, I've actually bought another one to keep as a spare as it is so much better quality than the first one I bought. Two weeks in now and all is good, I also changed the bolts from those stupid spline bolts to hex bolts.

tempImage3ca9EK.jpgtempImageFkfjCO.png
Prior to being converted to a camper my T28 appears to have been used by a builder whom at one point had cement in the cargo area. I say this as the lower sliding door connector was very dirty and with a small amount of persuasion I was able to clean it off. Having read about rust in the runner area I took these two photos.
The original vehicle colour is white, and that paint has gone from the 'runner' track. It is replaced by the copper looking rust colour, but I can't feel any loose or flaky bits of steel. The photo of the runner wheels also shows the same colour.
The door works well, so is there any need to do anything about the exposed metal?
I was considering cleaning it out and then applying some form of lubricant?

Best just to keep it clean, lubricant tends to trap debris and turn into grinding paste.

If you really want to lubricate then look at some dry lubricant like graphite.

If you haven't it's worth checking the condition of the rollers, if they are worn or sticking that will abrade that surface.

Certainly consider treating the exposed metal with one of the rust treatments, I think the jury's out on doing anything further as adding paint in that area without impacting the door roller is going to be tricky. Just keep an eye on it when you wash.

Hi all - I need some help or advice FAST! - been having issues with left side electric sliding door on my T6 Caravelle. Ordered parts which were wrong and wasn’t able to finish the fix. Managed to close the door. New part arrived but the top runner has popped out whilst trying to open the door and now I can’t shut it or open it - any ideas how to get the runner back in? Is it possible the cable has snapped now or will it be the fuse? If I can get it open or closed would very helpful. It’s Friday night and the last thing I need is this - sorry but thanks in advance

Back