Front Bumper Will Not Come Off

There is a trim clip that pushes up through a hole to join the wing to the bumper
If remove the 3 torx screws around the edge of the liner and trim clip from centre you will be able to pull the liner away and see the clip
It may be missing or broken
Ok ace, these clips available to buy?

They are, but it doesn't have to be genuine vw, as long as it fits the hole
I always keep a few universal trim clips in various sizes so I used one of those as I snapped the original one
If you have any of the internal trim clips from the lining panels, they are similar size
Even a cable tie would do the same job, it's out of sight anyway

They are, but it doesn't have to be genuine vw, as long as it fits the hole
I always keep a few universal trim clips in various sizes so I used one of those as I snapped the original one
If you have any of the internal trim clips from the lining panels, they are similar size
Even a cable tie would do the same job, it's out of sight anyway
Ok ace, will pull it apart once the bloody rain stops lol

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the clip I mean, if you blow it up you can see it fastens the wing to the bumper and the liner is pulled back to get at it
Only a 10 min job tho

20210120_085811.jpg

This is the clip that was bent over on my bumper, I didn't need to remove the liner, I just prized the top of the bumper out and straightened the clip and pushed it back in so it sat flush again.

Edit - actually it was the bigger clip at the other end with the little hole in it, but same process to clip it back in.

s-l1600-3-c14ca926-f4d6-438f-ae87-83eb30355162.jpgs-l1600-3-c14ca926-f4d6-438f-ae87-83eb30355162.jpg

Last edited:
This is why this forum is epic and 100% worth the subscription fee!!! Thanks chaps will have a play with it shortly when the rain stops lol

EB733A15-C771-453A-898F-711B2B2187B4.jpeg
you’ve removed the trim clip from behind the arch liner? If so then the bumper should just need to be held tight against the edge of the wing then pushed in to clip it in. The clip just locks it in place. Maybe if you can see in behind by pulling the liner back and see if anything is fouling it? I remember there being quite a positive clip into place when pushing the bumper in which is really what holds it

View attachment 99595
you’ve removed the trim clip from behind the arch liner? If so then the bumper should just need to be held tight against the edge of the wing then pushed in to clip it in. The clip just locks it in place. Maybe if you can see in behind by pulling the liner back and see if anything is fouling it? I remember there being quite a positive clip into place when pushing the bumper in which is really what holds it
Ah ok, I will pull the arch liner off tomorrow and take a butchers. I think the clip isn’t there, can they be bought new or I will cable tie it

Clip looks fine or am I missing something?

View attachment 99590

View attachment 99591
That corner of the bumper and the clip you can see locates into part of a large black plastic block attached the the wing. If it isn't positively clipping into place then either the receiving part of that block is broken, or as @cgtmiles has said, there's something in the way. I'll have the bumper off a customer van on Saturday morning, so I can take a photo to show you what it is that I'm talking about if it's of any help. There isn't a separate, removable trim clip for that part of the bumper.

It might ultimately be easier, although longer winded, to get the arch liner out, unclip the small retaining trim clip from the end of the bumper in the arch and then pull it away to have a really good look at what's going on.

That corner of the bumper and the clip you can see locates into part of a large black plastic block attached the the wing. If it isn't positively clipping into place then either the receiving part of that block is broken, or as @cgtmiles has said, there's something in the way. I'll have the bumper off a customer van on Saturday morning, so I can take a photo to show you what it is that I'm talking about if it's of any help. There isn't a separate, removable trim clip for that part of the bumper.

It might ultimately be easier, although longer winded, to get the arch liner out, unclip the small retaining trim clip from the end of the bumper in the arch and then pull it away to have a really good look at what's going on.
Ok ace any pics hep for certain if you could :)

Ok ace any pics hep for certain if you could :)

The red circle below is the part of the block that the bumper should clip straight into. If it doesn't, the little black clip in the block might be broken. You might need to get he bumper out of the way to check it properly. It might not be broken, there might just be something in the way preventing the clip engaging fully. If it is broken, you can replace the block, it's held on by two t25 torx screws circled in blue on the second image. The part number of the passenger side block is 7E0807183B.

InkedFile_001_LI.jpg

InkedFile_002_LI.jpg

Back