Front Bumper Will Not Come Off

Richmondo

I’ve been trying to get my front bumper off to fit replacement grilles this morning, but no matter what I do I cannot get the thing to budge.

I can get all the clips to release from above the lower grille but it seems stuck fast just below the upper grille. I know it needs some force to release the last bit but I’ve had all my weight on it but I just cannot get it to move. Any tips?

There are no fixings at all in the middle other than the plastic clips. All the torx fixings are in the wheel arches/front underside corners of the bumper and underside tray. There were a couple of fixings only accessible with the arch liner pulled back a bit which are tucked up on the line between the bumper and wing.

These are the clips;
See if you can get some silicone spray onto them.
IMG_3784.jpg IMG_3786.jpg

There are no fixings at all in the middle other than the plastic clips. All the torx fixings are in the wheel arches/front underside corners of the bumper and underside tray. There were a couple of fixings only accessible with the arch liner pulled back a bit which are tucked up on the line between the bumper and wing.

I got all of those undone, plus the ones for the sport line spoiler, it just seemed to be hanging on by something at the just under the upper grille.

These are the clips;
See if you can get some silicone spray onto them.
View attachment 43351 View attachment 43352
Looking at your picture I think I’ve got the clips on the underside of the beam to release, but I think it’s the ones on the top that I understand should just pop out when you give it a good pull.

I’ll give the silicone spray a try but I’ve stuck it all back together now as I’ve wrenched my shoulder trying to pull it off and can’t do anymore today

When removing for the first time they can be quite tight, I normally lean the top grille forwards and put my hand down the back and you can feel the plastic prongs coming through and you can pressure them with your finger to aid release

When removing for the first time they can be quite tight, I normally lean the top grille forwards and put my hand down the back and you can feel the plastic prongs coming through and you can pressure them with your finger to aid release

Thanks @Pauly I’ll give that a shot

I have been looking at replacing the headlights on my T6 but am sh**ing it about just 'popping' the front bumper etc off.
Watched all the videos, still not convinced me and my assistant will not end up flat on our backs with the bumper in a thousand pieces all around us!

Looking for some comforting words that it is a 'doable' DIY!?

I have been looking at replacing the headlights on my T6 but am sh**ing it about just 'popping' the front bumper etc off.
Watched all the videos, still not convinced me and my assistant will not end up flat on our backs with the bumper in a thousand pieces all around us!

I managed it and I’m a moron so you’ll be fine:thumbsup:

It’s a simple job, if you are concerned about missing something write the stages down, take a few photos, keep the fasteners separated and labelled and make sure you have the tools to complete the job before you start.
An assistant to lift it off and back on is useful, it’s a very flexible lump of plastic which can be scratched so make sure you have a piece of grass, padded sheet etc to put it down.

Reactions: CAB

I've done it twice and I'm totally cack-handed.

Just give it a wiggle and a bit of welly at the last bit as you and your mate pull it off.

Only thing the video misses is unplugging the fog lights. You do it just before you take the whole thing off.

Worst part is the wheel arch clips, they just won't shift.

Definitely.... you’ll be fine. The video I watched was the Transporter HQ video.... how to fit their T6 DRL LED headlights. Watch it a few times and follow each stage.... you don’t really even need an assistant.... I’ve done it twice on my own. Once you’re sure you’ve removed all the fixings and unclipped everything, just stand directly in front and put your hands through the upper grill, next to the bottom of each headlight and lift up and out and the whole front should release.... just make sure you’ve got somewhere big enough to put the front end so it doesn’t get damaged. :thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB
Thanks all
As a certified cack-handed moron this has given me a great deal of hope
Worth buying a set of replacement wheel arch clips first by the sound of it though

I’d just recommend a good trim removal kit and some torx bits. Probably best to watch the video, then run through it ‘dry’ to see what tools and bits you’re going to need.... and be confident! :thumbsup:

I’m holding off for slightly warmer temperatures. Having snapped several barbs off the rear side bumper retainer I think a few degrees warmer makes the plastics easier to work with!

Can I ask, is their a fixing on the passenger side corner where it meets the wing?

My bumper sticks out and it bugs the hell out of me

Can I ask, is their a fixing on the passenger side corner where it meets the wing?

Should align same as drivers side, do you have a pic?

I had similar, I pulled out the bumper at the top slightly and could see a clip that had been entirely bent over and was making it stick out proud.

Back