Radar Sensor on Startline front bumper

gvicker1

VIP Member
Does anyone know if this sensor does anything? I don’t have ACC on my start line model…or at least I don’t think I do. I’ve bought a colour coded bumper set but the grill doesn’t have a cut out for the radar sensor. Can I just install the new grill age in front of it or do I need the cut out? Thanks guys.

51696704-5200-409F-9BFE-E90C293C65FF.png

Even without ACC you will still have auto braking/city assist to stop you rear ending anyone

Ahh okay thanks Pauly. So I need to find a grill with the hole for the radar sensor then. Thanks

Yes, if you disconnect or cover it the van will have a fit !

@Pauly are you sure Paul as my van is a 21 Startline and I had a bump just after 1 month of buying it, I pulled out and hit a car I didn’t see on opposite side of road, my van didn’t automaticly brake.

John.

It will only read cars in front of you and assess the closing gap, it won’t have any effect on cross traffic

Your startline front bumper is one piece. You can’t change the grill in it. Highline and trendline bumpers are different and the lower grill is 3 pieces and can be removed or swapped for gloss black.
I’ve got a startline and was hoping to swap the grill also.
Unfortunately it’s a no go.
See here

Mine does too but I wouldn't trust auto braking operating, like I said how do you know that it's working.

John

Mine does too but I wouldn't trust auto braking operating, like I said how do you know that it's working.

John
The auto braking is not designed to stop an accident, it’s designed to limit the impact (although you may be lucky sometimes). Like most safety systems you have to rely on the self test to report any issues. The ‘driving too close’ warning shows the radar and electronic elements of the system are working. You could hang up a blanket (or something soft that the radar sees) and drive at it to see if it works. Just make sure there is nothing to hit behind it!!

Sorry to thread hijack but I noticed recently when pulling onto my sloped drive it seemed to be applying the brakes automatically (to stop me smashing into the bay window no doubt) - is this likely the same functionality?

Sorry to thread hijack but I noticed recently when pulling onto my sloped drive it seemed to be applying the brakes automatically (to stop me smashing into the bay window no doubt) - is this likely the same functionality?
Yep. I don’t think the T6 has auto braking linked to the parking sensors (unlike my Passat) so it won’t be those.

Back