From Kombi to Campervan

benndy1

VIP Member
I have a T6 Kombi, since owning it for 18 months it now has had upgrades to include, insulation, captain chairs, Van-King Bed and Skylow pop top. Works really well as a day / weekend van as I don’t use this for business and is in essence my daily driver (but use our second car for local trips) My question is if I change the layout and remove the seats and bed and get it converted further with a full size rib bed etc am I just risking devaluing the “Kombi” aspect? I feel that with my son bring 4 in Dec and not needing to be within arms reach behind the driver and with the pop top and our love of trips away it makes sense to get the extra space etc from a full camper set up downstairs (excluding kitchen as I rather cook etc outside)
I gather I can get about £700 for the parts that will be removed and probably get half back for what I paid for the Van-King so it should cost about 2k to make good. Looking forward to any thoughts, ideas in general. Thanks.

I have as similar setup in my Kombi (twin slider) using the Van-king bed but without the pop top. Also my daily driver (bike carrier etc) and used with a Galli III awning for trips away, long weekends / main holiday etc. Looking forward I would like to do a bit more touring ( 1night stops) so been looking at the Slidepod Seat Pod as an option. Effectively replaces the rear seats / bed and giving the extra space of a camper, bench seat, bed, storage and pull out cooker in one unit. Means that you don't need to modify and simply fit when required, therefore keeping the Kombi flexibility. Only downside is that the bench seat isn't rated for carrying passengers, so to carry three you would need to change the passengers chair to a double.

Could be an option ....

If you've already got the pop top and a bed solution in place, what would you be gaining by having a different seat/bed fitted if you're not planning on cooking in the van?

If you've already got the pop top and a bed solution in place, what would you be gaining by having a different seat/bed fitted if you're not planning on cooking in the van? I like the idea of an open plan “lounge” area which makes it more of a campervan..

If you have the 3 seat second row Kombi then I believe you can add another set of brackets further back and so can put the seat in either position. Would this not give the room you need?

If you have the 3 seat second row Kombi then I believe you can add another set of brackets further back and so can put the seat in either position. Would this not give the room you need?
Doesn’t allow for camping trips as I have a bed etc in the back

I can’t help with your conundrum but if the bed is for a lwb I would be interested buddy

Kind regards,

Drew

I did this - really opens up the space in the middle

A7CEE943-BB4E-4A56-966B-3AE705A2EE57.jpeg

I've just had a full width Reimo 3000 fitted and have found it makes a massive difference to the usability of our van.

I bought a Kombi as I needed the ability to carry 5 people and have done the conversion in 2 stages - pop top, electrics etc in combination with an Exploria bed last year, then the Reimo this year.

Having the Reimo has made it much more flexible when we're camping as we can move the seat back and have more space in the van, then drop it to make a bed etc, whilst still being able to carry 5 comfortably and bikes etc as and when

I've just had a full width Reimo 3000 fitted and have found it makes a massive difference to the usability of our van.

I bought a Kombi as I needed the ability to carry 5 people and have done the conversion in 2 stages - pop top, electrics etc in combination with an Exploria bed last year, then the Reimo this year.

Having the Reimo has made it much more flexible when we're camping as we can move the seat back and have more space in the van, then drop it to make a bed etc, whilst still being able to carry 5 comfortably and bikes etc as and when
Where did you get the Reimo 2000 fitted?

Back