Fridges & Cold Beer -- How I Done It --

Loved reading this thread... planning to buy a compressor fridge before the summer rush starts... This has been such a helpful place to start. Currently looking at the following:
'TravelBox' 40L @ £329 - I think @Dellmassive has one of these...
'Explore More X40' - 40L with 2 separate sections (can be set as fridge and freezer I think) @ £369 - Nice looking bit of kit... on wheels too
'PolarBox' 32L - @ £327 (or the 40L version at £350). This one has been written up earlier in the thread, and seems to have the benefit of having a bag for additional insulation. Bit smaller too, so will take up less room in the van (unless I decide I need the 40L after all).

Anyone want to steer me in a particular direction? Particularly interest if anyone has tried the Explore More X40?

Also interested in what size is right for family camping (including beers of course!)

We are a family of 5 and find the Polarbox 42L size is just about right. The footprint is the same as the 32L it’s just about 10cm taller but gives a load of extra usable space.

Having used it quite a lot last summer I was very happy that we got the 42L size and never thought it was too big after using it. I think we would have ended up finding the 32L version too small.

We are a family of 5 and find the Polarbox 42L size is just about right. The footprint is the same as the 32L it’s just about 10cm taller but gives a load of extra usable space.

Having used it quite a lot last summer I was very happy that we got the 42L size and never thought it was too big after using it. I think we would have ended up finding the 32L version too small.
This is GREAT knowledge! I hadn't thought to check dimensions, but it's often footprint space that is difficult, so this definitely swings me towards a 40l (ish) size! Now just need to decide which one...

Loved reading this thread... planning to buy a compressor fridge before the summer rush starts... This has been such a helpful place to start. Currently looking at the following:
'TravelBox' 40L @ £329 - I think @Dellmassive has one of these...
'Explore More X40' - 40L with 2 separate sections (can be set as fridge and freezer I think) @ £369 - Nice looking bit of kit... on wheels too
'PolarBox' 32L - @ £327 (or the 40L version at £350). This one has been written up earlier in the thread, and seems to have the benefit of having a bag for additional insulation. Bit smaller too, so will take up less room in the van (unless I decide I need the 40L after all).

Anyone want to steer me in a particular direction? Particularly interest if anyone has tried the Explore More X40?

Also interested in what size is right for family camping (including beers of course!)
Do any of those also fit between the front seats?

Very interested in any real world experience of these. I've used Engels before but the cost is eyewatering.
That Explore More fridge was available the other year.

i looked at it here: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/fridges-cold-beer-how-i-done-it.20628/post-282099

i chose the non - wheeled version . .

but looking at the specs they are the same internal . . . as they was then.

they all come with the Fridge/freezer bit . . . but basically its just 2x compartments with one control.

you set the main area temp . . . say 1degC, then provided trhe fridge is not over filled the cold will rise up and overflow into the "fridge" section . . .

the internal basket makes this possible as it leaves a path for the air to flow . .

me personally, i take out the basket and just cram it as full as possible..

i had both mine running for 12weeks flat out at -22 over the Xmas period - which im sure they are not desinged for.

but they both still working fine.

The only difference is that the Explorer range come with a 240v mains PSU and a 12v lead that plug into the one port.

The other ones have an internal PSU and come with two different leads and sockets.

40L - £369 - (£9.22 per L)

1615462104174.png

Last edited:
2021 refresh, for Fridges and Freezers.

45L - £349 - ( £7.7 per L )

1615462624704.png1615462636861.png1615462645327.png

Last edited:

as a comparison . . . here is the Daddy.

60L - £901 - ( £15.0 per L )

1615463145766.png

Last edited:

Conclusion Spring 2021 :

it looks like the 55L KITGARN is the best value for money per L volume.

55L - £370 - ( £6.7 per L ) - https://amzn.to/3bz3bLc

1615463784784.png

+++

second up is the 35L KITGARN

35L - £255 - ( £7.2 per L ) - https://amzn.to/3l48qpn

1615463902798.png

+++

3rd up is the Just Kampers 45L unit

45L - £349 - ( £7.7 per L )

1615464187533.png

+++

Wowsa! Even more choice now @Dellmassive. Intrigued to know, if you had a budget of approx £400 at the moment, and didn't have any of your current fridges - what would you plump for? One of the ones you already have (i.e the TravelBox or the PolarBox - I think you have both of these?) or one of the 2021 designs you've posted just here? Feels like there is almost too much choice....

Wowsa! Even more choice now @Dellmassive. Intrigued to know, if you had a budget of approx £400 at the moment, and didn't have any of your current fridges - what would you plump for? One of the ones you already have (i.e the TravelBox or the PolarBox - I think you have both of these?) or one of the 2021 designs you've posted just here? Feels like there is almost too much choice....
To be honest they are all basically the same . . id choose any of them. ( i have a Dometic 35L, Explora 40L and a 40L 3-way)

im sure its the same china factory pumping them out . .

but it depends on what you plan to do with them . .

we have two, a 35L and a 40L . . . the are both great. (drinks in one and food in the other) (and leave the 3way at home)

so work out where you plan to transport it and where you plan to store it . . . have a measure up and test for size. (if its to live in the van)

if its just transported in the van and will live in the tent or awning . . . then any size will do - so how much stuff do you want to carry?

Back