Fridge Vs Coolbox

See here...

Turned up today (bought via ebay 11/08), fist impressions; it feels pretty solid and well made. I read somewhere to leave it for a few hours before turning on so will test later

IMG-8318.JPGIMG-8319.JPGIMG-8317.JPG

Mine arrived today , it took 5 minutes to work out how to set the battery protection mode .. as the manual is pretty useless . The cigarette lighter fitting is typically bizarre .. For me the socket that was fitted by my leisure battery installers is horrible and hardly anything fits it correctly so I may just create a permanent fused circuit for this and hard wire it . I hate plugs and sockets that are unreliable and bulky. Would have also been nice to have known the 240 v side ( an adapter was included ) is European as this introduces yet more unreliable bulky fittings .. I may cut off plug and fit a UK plug or fit a euro socket in the van which actually may be useful at some point. When the compressor kicks in it’s a little noisy but it’s pretty silent otherwise .. gets cold quick ! so happy with that .
I expected a cage inside it for some reason ... must have been looking at a Dometic ..

it says dual door opening direction ... that’s totally baffling, as it only opens one way .. also remove able handles ?? Hmmm the read out screen is built into one of them .. so I cannot see how it can be removed .. so a fair bit of mis information ... but other than that for a generic no brand kind of basic unit it seems it may be ok .. and has saved me at least £200 .. here’s hoping nothing goes wrong with it ...

Last edited:
if it works then £200 saving isn't to be sniffed at. I took the cig plug off mine and did a fused anderson connection to the battery, I dont trust cig sockets for anything requiring more than a few amps.

if it works then £200 saving isn't to be sniffed at. I took the cig plug off mine and did a fused anderson connection to the battery, I dont trust cig sockets for anything requiring more than a few amps.
Yep I notice that there is also a voltage drop of .2v difference between what my built in led volt meter shows and what the fridge is showing .. im
Wondering if that’s the result of a very long cable to the fridge and the stupid cigarette lighter connections .. I’ve had to use an adapter from one cig lighter to a double cig socket in order to get anything like a reliable connection . They are horrible things .. there seems to be no standard in design of either the sockets themselves or the plugs which are almost always ridiculously long and bulky and an accident waiting to happen. In a small space small solid connections are surely a better solution.

Even more things are using them now too that used to be hard wired. Easy sell technique I guess. Shame the industry havnt got together and produced another better 12v socket. Imagine charging your electric car with one :whistle:

Even more things are using them now too that used to be hard wired. Easy sell technique I guess. Shame the industry havnt got together and produced another better 12v socket. Imagine charging your electric car with one :whistle:
There is a better one. My motorbike has one. Google hella din socket.

I’ve changed the euro lead for a UK one I had knocking about, on 240 volts it took about 15 minutes to go from 22 to 5, nice and cold. Need to do some 12 volt tests. Haven’t set the battery protection yet, as you say the instructions aren’t great

I’ve changed the euro lead for a UK one I had knocking about, on 240 volts it took about 15 minutes to go from 22 to 5, nice and cold. Need to do some 12 volt tests. Haven’t set the battery protection yet, as you say the instructions aren’t great
Yep I had similar results using 12 v dc it got nice and cold quickly .. so far I’m pleased . And yes I noticed the 240 v adapter cable is just a standard and I’ve got one somewhere as well .. saves chopping up the euro version ..

Mi
Mine arrived today , it took 5 minutes to work out how to set the battery protection mode .. as the manual is pretty useless . The cigarette lighter fitting is typically bizarre .. For me the socket that was fitted by my leisure battery installers is horrible and hardly anything fits it correctly so I may just create a permanent fused circuit for this and hard wire it . I hate plugs and sockets that are unreliable and bulky. Would have also been nice to have known the 240 v side ( an adapter was included ) is European as this introduces yet more unreliable bulky fittings .. I may cut off plug and fit a UK plug or fit a euro socket in the van which actually may be useful at some point. When the compressor kicks in it’s a little noisy but it’s pretty silent otherwise .. gets cold quick ! so happy with that .
I expected a cage inside it for some reason ... must have been looking at a Dometic ..

it says dual door opening direction ... that’s totally baffling, as it only opens one way .. also remove able handles ?? Hmmm the read out screen is built into one of them .. so I cannot see how it can be removed .. so a fair bit of mis information ... but other than that for a generic no brand kind of basic unit it seems it may be ok .. and has saved me at least £200 .. here’s hoping nothing goes wrong with it ...
mine has a cage in it

82044395-6553-44F6-A9AE-7C4D94CD1D4C.jpeg

Damn ! Ok I will write to the seller !
I want my cage !
Although it seems odd that you then cannot use those circular indents to support bottles ?

That's very very similar to mine. These things are using the same parts with a different name on the side in crayon :thumbsup:

Back