Freezing ice packs in compressor camping fridge

roadtripper

2021 Caravelle Executive
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So to get to the point I'm trying to find a compressor camping fridge that will also freeze ice packs that's not a massive wheeled chest thing.

Why? Well we do road trips rather than camping so drive to an area and set up base somewhere and then do days out.

The van kitchen pod has a well insulted coolbox that's good for a day or so on ice packs.

When we road trip to an apartment or Air BnB everything is fine as there is generally somewhere to refreeze the ice packs, the problem is if we are using a motel for a several nights we can't refreeze.

We do have a Dometic three way fridge that runs off gas for serious camping, but no use for this. We also have a Camping Gaz 12v/240v electric coolbox that we use in the van for the trip to the area and then to keep milk fresh in the motel room, but it's a power hungry thing.

Ideally I'd like to find something not much bigger then the electric coolbox that we can run in the van but also take into the motel room and run off mains to keep the milk cold but also freeze the ice pack for the next days day out. I know there are some twin chamber units but are they good enough to actively freeze without the fridge bit getting too warm and are they massive?

Any thoughts?

So to get to the point I'm trying to find a compressor camping fridge that will also freeze ice packs that's not a massive wheeled chest thing.

Why? Well we do road trips rather than camping so drive to an area and set up base somewhere and then do days out.

The van kitchen pod has a well insulted coolbox that's good for a day or so on ice packs.

When we road trip to an apartment or Air BnB everything is fine as there is generally somewhere to refreeze the ice packs, the problem is if we are using a motel for a several nights we can't refreeze.

We do have a Dometic three way fridge that runs off gas for serious camping, but no use for this. We also have a Camping Gaz 12v/240v electric coolbox that we use in the van for the trip to the area and then to keep milk fresh in the motel room, but it's a power hungry thing.

Ideally I'd like to find something not much bigger then the electric coolbox that we can run in the van but also take into the motel room and run off mains to keep the milk cold but also freeze the ice pack for the next days day out. I know there are some twin chamber units but are they good enough to actively freeze without the fridge bit getting too warm and are they massive?

Any thoughts?
Got deep pockets?

That compressor fridge I'm selling goes down to -20c and will freeze ice blocks no problems...... As will most of the compressor fridges. (I'm selling that one as I have another two Dometic units - don't need three.... But need two Beer+Food)

If you wanted milk in the same unit. I'd just put the milk in a small cooler bag to insulate it from the extreme cold..... That will stop the milk freezeing while keeping your Ice blocks frozen.

I think you can get compressor fridges from about 25L upwards. 40L is the average size.

More info....

@roadtripper we have the Just Kampers 45lt compressor fridge/freezer dual compartment even at -20 the food in the fridge bit has never frozen and it is exactly the same as the Alpicool 45lt just different branding and we use it for freezing ice blocks as well as keeping frozen food in there so I would say any Alpicool dual compartment compressor fridge/freezer would do what your asking just what ever size suits you
our one just so you can compare it against others the fridge part you can get in 6x1 pinters of milk standing up 4x 2 pinters laying on their sides and 4 pinters don't fit and the freezer bit loads of ice packs

[QUOTE="Dellmassive, post: 594957, member: 4226"

If you wanted milk in the same unit. I'd just put the milk in a small cooler bag to insulate it from the extreme cold..... That will stop the milk freezeing while keeping your Ice blocks frozen.

[/QUOTE]
That should be in the camping tips thread. Great idea.

[QUOTE="Dellmassive, post: 594957, member: 4226"

That should be in the camping tips thread. Great idea.
[/QUOTE]
Very true, didn't think of that.....I'll add it in.

I'd be very surprised if that worked unless it was for a short length of time or you set a temperature that wasn't very low

I tried something vaguely similar (milk in a Thermos box placed outside in very freezing temps) and it still froze solid

Thanks @Bargy62 and @Dellmassive it's that direct experience that's hugely useful here :thumbsup:

It's a bit more than milk as we tend to have stuff to make a picnic for the day as well, so a two compartment fridge probably matches the best.

Anyone had any experience of the ArctiCave branded ones, some seemingly good prices on them from South Devon Campers and they are based near family.

I'm mildly wary of buying another fridge as I have a similar collection in the garage just mine is mostly coolbox and huge numbers of ice packs as we often do BBQ at local events and need to keep the meat cool in the day. Given I already have 2 things that can run in the van and off mains I can see some eyerolling and comments of "another one?!?" from the family...

Back