Fridge Vs Coolbox

Is there any reason why you can't use a small household domestic fridge ?
On EHU, no reason apart from it might be a bit noisier than the purpose RV fridges.

but when mobile they are mostly 240vac so you will need a 240v inverter running off your 12v system..... (large enough to handle the compressors inrush current, normally 3x times the running current)

at this point is where you will run into problems as the Mains compressor is not low-power as-such and will suck power out of your leisure battery. . . . . so you need a large battery bank & Inverter.

The Dometic and other purposed 12/240 RV fridges have low power compressors that are designed to run quiet, off 12v or 240v and efficient.

3way fridges are great too . . . but if on gas it has to be outside, its fine on 240 EHU but not very efficient running off a 12v battery bank as the can draw around 6ah . . . .

so . . .

EHU = no problem with anything.

12v = 3way fridge about 6ah draw

12v = thermo electric cooler box about 3ah draw

12v = compressor fridge about 1.5ah draw cycling on/off as reqd

+1 for dometic compressor fridge.

we have a mobile CFX35 that has proved awesome over this weeks summer camp out.

(& a 3way & 12/240 cooler boxes & ice boxes)

Dometic CoolFreeze CFX 35W - Portable compressor cooler and freezer

View attachment 47861

see the range - United Kingdom | Dometic

Thank you for explaining that @Dellmassive
My Halford electric cool box worked well last weekend but I did need to run the engine twice a day to charge the leisure battery.
I just don't want to pay £800 for a fridge when I can get a very similar piece of equipment for £80.00. I appreciate your comments about the current draw but I'm thinking I might get a household to use when on EHU (run to temp at home beforehand) and use the Halfords when wild camping.
My current set up has a 300w inverter so do I need to ensure its less than 100w's ?

as an example, there is this one . . . . .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Ho...Z4P6493KD54&psc=1&refRID=1FEYHS02B1RR0BMFHP7C

A+ rated

and the rear plate seem to show

d00a93dd4f2ab37cc8094131b1b3.jpg

so w=V * A . . . . . 120W = 240v * 0.5A

then that one you use 120W when the compressor was running..... so the guide lines would be 360w up(if not larger). . . . . but i would try the 300w inverter and see how much current it draws.

must admit I've not tried doing this before . . . . . though i have got a small compressor beer fridge at home. . . . . But its not very powerfull.

Last edited:
LOL . . . . YT to the rescue.

Last edited:
LOL . . . . YT to the rescue.

So, after watching all of them it would appear you need to calculate 10 x the current draw for when the compressor kicks in. In other words, it won't work off a 300w inverter.
Now as I'm trying to not spend money (crashing the van absorbs the toys fund) I'm thinking, Halford when wild camping and a cheap domestic fridge when on EHU.

Thanks for your advice @Dellmassive :thumbsup:

lol . . . . .yeh 10x may be a bit excessive . . . . but i does depend on the fridge itself . . .

anyway saying all that, the £80 cheap domestic fridge idea will start to get expensive off EHU when you factor in the battery bank, inverter & charging solution.

it starts to make the Dometic style compressor fridges more appealing.

i got mine almost half price off ebay.. (yes it was BNIB = result)

keep looking, they popup cheap now and again.

have you seen these gas canister 3way fridges? . . . . runs for 24hrs off one can.

Dometic ACX 40 G Combicool 3 Way Fridge | CampingWorld.co.uk

Annotation 2019-07-25 111417.jpg

or the standard 3way fridge?

Dometic RC1200 3 Way Fridge 2019 | CampingWorld.co.uk

Annotation 2019-07-25 111612.jpg

much cheaper than a compressor fridge, but very effective. (if on gas must be used outside of van)

I take mine away when we go to stay in a static caravan. . . . . very good on EHU and gas but a bit juicy on the 12v side of things (unless you have a good battery bank and solar to keep charged) - but fine when engine running etc.

Last edited:
lol . . . . .yeh 10x may be a bit excessive . . . . but i does depend on the fridge itself . . .

anyway saying all that, the £80 cheap domestic fridge idea will start to get expensive off EHU when you factor in the battery bank, inverter & charging solution.

it starts to make the Dometic style compressor fridges more appealing.

i got mine almost half price off ebay.. (yes it was BNIB = result)

keep looking, they popup cheap now and again.
I'm thinking of just using it on EHU and sticking with the Halford electric cool box when off grid.
I'll keep looking and see what comes up but you can get household fridges dirt cheap on eBay so may just get one and see how it works out.

The Dometic fridges are very economical in terms of battery use, for example, the standard AH usage is shown below.

CRX 50 - most common conversion fridge - 1.1 Ah/h at +25°C ambient temperature

CFx50 cool box type - 0.38 AH/h at +20C ambient temperature, 0.68 AH/h at +32C ambient temperature

CF26 - 0.44 Ah/h at +20 °C ambient temperature, 0.67 Ah/h at +32 °C ambient temperature, both at +5 °C interior temperature

So you can see the cool box types are far more efficient.

That said, if you are having a conversion the CRX 50 is most popular.

Rgds

Ian

see, they do come up cheaper if you keep looking . . . . .

Dometic coolfreeze CFX 35WPortable fridge freezerBrand new in box

Annotation 2019-08-07 134151.jpg

So someone bought me a Halfords 40 ltr cool box .. great BUT it’s eating my leisure battery for breakfast .
i guess it’s to be expected ..can anyone tell me if I would get better performance from a compressor type fridge .. I can go to maybe £300 if I have to .. or should I just stay with this Halfords cool box .. I’m happy with the space inside it it’s just right for storage it’s not getting very cold though .. and it’s ripping through electricity so quickly my security cameras are switching off after just a n hour or si in parking mode as the cool box is just gobbling up power .. there is no way of adjusting the settings when it is using dc current .. it has a low power mode when connected to mains ... but no adjustment when running off dc voltage ...

Compressor fridges are more economical but I can't say I've seen a 40l for £300, usually more like £500

That is a good price. I'm not sure what Human-Based design means though? Ergonomic or something?

The Dometic CRX50 is 45 l and as above about £500 - 565. I have one in my van and its been OK but I have only been on 240v hookup so don't know how long a leisure battery would last on its own. Check this out.

I think you also need to consider how you will use it. I prefer open top fridges but some people prefer a more conventional fridge that opens at the front.

Our Vitrifrifo 50 litre front loading fridge pulls the 100Ah leisure battery down to something like 80% overnight. Actual overnight draw of course depends on the ambient temperature. Generally the solar capture during the day makes up the loss.

Back