Rear kitchen setup - I.e. bed at the front.

DaveCrampton

2017 Shuttle SE.
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have been thinking about rear setup kitchens, like the (don’t shout at me) Ford Nugget and Jerba’s Sanna camper. These use the middle seat setup with the front seats rotated as the foot of the double bed. Like some on here, I have not converted my shuttle/van, but use it as a semi camper with a bench in the back, folding the rear triple bench forward and pulling out the mattress to form the bed. This is fine but the middle of the van does not allow easy kitchen setup, or does but only one side, or you block both sliding doors.

I was wondering about a front bed, using the middle seats and front seats rotated, like the rear kitchen setup on the Sanna and Nugget. This might suit Kombi and Shuttles where you can have a large boot, and just move pod like boxes in to make the kitchen. I wondered about the leg room using only the middle seats folded forward and the front seats rotated.

Currently my rear boot in my Shuttle has a semi permanent carpeted box/ bench where I leave an Ikea futon folded, which leaves the middle (middle seats removed - and left in the garage) empty as a day van space. But I do like the option of putting in two pod like kitchen boxes with fridge and sink, into the boot and then having the ‘front’ as a semi permanent bed.

Has anyone done this? Do you have photos or experience of the pros and cons?

Dave C

If you ever want a nights sleep somewhere you maybe shouldn’t be it‘s much harder if you are sleeping in the front seats

The single beds you see on most of the rear kitchen layouts, as @oldiebut goodie shows above, are RIB / Scopema (I think 60cm Neptune ??).

One version is fixed, one version slides together to make a double.

It seems some have had issues getting them fitted on their own, but have a look here:

Also:

Back