French Tolls

So we're off to France for a couple of weeks in the van for the first time soon but having never taken the van (or a car for that matter) over there we're trying to work out what the toll cost is likely to be

At the moment our plan is very lose in terms of where we are going but a rough plan would be arrive Calais and then end down near Morzine stopping along the way and the same in return

Anyone been down that way recently and can give us a steer on how much we're looking at?

Thanks

I spent 6 weeks traveling about Europe last autumn and only used a toll road once as was in a hurry that day.
If you’re not in a rush you’ll see much more of the places you drive through and probably enjoy the time more if you avoid the toll roads.

We ski in morzine. Travelling autoroute Calais > Reims > Troyes > Dijon > Geneva > Morzine. Motorway all the way to Geneva. Not the prettiest way but definetely the quickest.

From memory its about €70-80 each way. Like others we have a toll tag from Sanef. No toll stopping, easy and saves loads of time. Have a great trip!

Get a toll tag!!! If you are under 2m (remember any bikes on a rack) and have a tag you can miss any queues and wizz through the auto barriers at 30kph.
Was sanef now... Emovis Tag UK

Just had an email from Eurotunnel with an offer for Emovis. The offer excludes commercial vehicles. Does anyone know if the French classify a Kombi as commercial even though it meets the height and weight criteria?

I used to drive from the uk to Spain throw France and using the vehicle sat nav would have a bill of £230-£240 however I downloaded co-pilot on my iPhone and doing the same amount of miles and around about the same time driving I got my toll fees down to £23-£24 , Co-Pilot has a use tolls only when needed feature so would strongly recommend using it if traveling throw France After having BMW VW VOLVO and Mercedes car all with sat nav fitted none of then have a feature where you can only use tolls when needed
Could you give me a bit more info about the co-pilot app? There are a few available and wanted to check which you have used....the descriptions in the app store don't make it that clear.

Could you give me a bit more info about the co-pilot app? There are a few available and wanted to check which you have used....the descriptions in the app store don't make it that clear.
Bit confused about the post unless there is something I don't know about Co-Pilot?

Both Google Maps and Waze have the route options of selecting 'no toll roads' and both the Android and Apple versions of those Apps are mirrored via App Connect onto your main dash screen for big screen viewing and use

Ok so a little confused? Got a bip & go toll tag for our French trip next month. Set up an subscription when ordering. Tag has arrived today and our kid says it need to be activated but I can't see anyway to do that, only for prepayment? Anyone used bip and go tags can confirm what the set up process is?

Thanks.

Should be similar I would have thought. I had Sanef and it was renamed Emovis.....their English branch

Should be similar I would have thought. I had Sanef and it was renamed Emovis.....their English branch
Can't see anywhere under my account that says activation? Have sent them a message so see what they come back with. Thanks.

The tags always used to be from Sanef until a few years ago, they re named Emovis (presumably the British side as mentioned above). If I log onto my account from my laptop on the left hand pane is "Activate new tag" I think IIRC it looked like this when it was Sanef too. Account, then account summary. It also shows the battery level of your tags so you know when to exchange them.

52272409293_00d032fc5a_c.jpgScreenshot 2022-08-08 at 19.16.42 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Last edited:
I found it just as easy to swipe a credit card. We didn't have to queue once at the tolls, so cost us a handful of seconds.

We bought and subscribed to a Tag after getting shortchanged by a booth operator by about 50 euros at the Vienne toll on the Route de Soleil about 10 years ago. It's been really easy to use and we love it...!

I found it just as easy to swipe a credit card. We didn't have to queue once at the tolls, so cost us a handful of seconds.
Except when they get your height wrong, and you then have to press the call button to argue you are a class 1, you can sort out the refunds later when you get the bill. And you get to whizz through the lorry lane when they are all busy in the summer.

And you get to whizz through the lorry lane when they are all busy in the summer.

Like I've been doing the past week. I love it when your usual suspects coming hacking past you on the toll roads (normally have a big UK sticker slapped wonkily on their boots) only to cruise past them stuck in busy toll lanes, for the same vehicles to go flying past you 10 minutes later, and so it goes on....

I have had mine for years. My first thoughts was the French shrugging their shoulders at me (insert French noise here) thinking daft Brit in the telepeage only lane, for me to go straight through whilst they queued to pay, lol.

Just to update apparently my tag is all set up ready to use? Will find out shortly how true that is.

Screenshot_20220809-165801_Gmail.jpg

Just don't go through a tag only lane in case it doesn't work! I did that in Spain this year. The bloody tag wouldn't work, tag only lane and no where to pay so had to reverse out. turns out I had my French one on the screen and not my Spanish one. Doh.

Back