Fixing my van's lack of security

Well, as on this thread https://www.t6forum.com/threads/if-youve-got-your-doorcard-off.4839/#post-76228 I've established that at least my (front) door modules are the same as everyone else's, and I'd found coding from a van that did have Safelock so I was getting quite excited that I might be close to an answer. Although my battery was flat, I yanked the one from my car and connected it up then plugged in VCDS and re-coded the front door control modules. The coding was accepted and I went onto the output tests and tested the "Central locking with Safe (driver's door only)" function, as that's the only door I've changed the lock on so far. No change, just a normal locking that I was able to open from inside.

I'll carry on with doing the rest of the locks when I can but it seems that even with the correct lock, correct door module, and coding that works in other vans, I'm no closer to solving this :(

Well here's a turn up for the books, I've only gone and cracked it (sort of)
I have deadlocking (sort of)

After the disapoointment of the failure with the door control module recoding I decided to trawl through google to see if there was any mention, and eventually came across this page Coding & Adaptations | OBDeleven on the OBDeleven forum, and particularly the post by oberon who had identified some previously undocumented bit settings - including Safelock!
I'd put the battery back in the car but immediately ran out in the pouring rain and grabbed it back out again and headed to the van.

This was the important section

Byte 00 Bit 0 Selective Central Locking (Single Door Locking) active
Byte 00 Bit 1 Central Locking WITHOUT SAFE-Function (Zentralverriegelung OHNE SAFE-Funktion verbaut)
Byte 00 Bit 2 Central Locking 2-motor-locks installed (Zentralverriegelung 2-Motoren-Schlösser verbaut)
Byte 00 Bit 3 Auto-Unlock (Unlocking when Removing the Ignition Key)
Byte 00 Bit 4 Auto-Lock (Automatic Locking above 15 km/h)
Byte 00 Bit 5 Central Locking installed
Byte 00 Bit 6 Central Locking via cylinder lock active (Zentralverriegelung über Schliesszylinder aktiv)
Byte 00 Bit 7 Central Locking 1-motor-locks with SAFE Function installed (Zentralverriegelung 1-Motoren-Schlösser mit SAFE Funktion verbaut)

So I initially coded byte 0 to include the Safelock bits, and was disappointed to find no difference yet again, before realising that the bits were numbered R to L and not L to R (yeah I know RTFM). So this time I coded it as 11111101 and did an output test to the driver's door. This time, it didn't even lock the door, but the lock did click. I didn't want to have the battery out of the car too long so decided I'd go back to it tomorrow night and locked the van with the remote, reached through the window and was immediately able to unlock the door. I then thought to myself it would be a laugh if the folding mirrors worked so pressed the comfort close by holding the remote. This time the lock went clunk again and the button seemed to pull down ever so slightly further. Unlocked it, sat in the drivers seat and press the remote button twice - and it deadlocked! As I pulled the interior handle the lock button went up and then back down when I released but would not open, whereas the other 2 doors that have not had the locks changed opened on 2 pulls as before. I've checked it multiple times and it's definitely deadlocking.

But it's not behaving in the way you all know Safelock to behave

1) There is no message on the MFD regarding Safelock
2) I have to press the button once to lock and a second time to deadlock - exactly the opposite behaviour...
3) I have to press the unlock button twice to unlock the drivers door

So I'm not there yet, but I've taken a massive leap forward today :thumbsup: :D

Last edited:
A little trick i have learnt is that if you attempt to manually change the long code (not the binary value) while inside the long code helper window then all tickboxes appear and can give you additional descriptions
I wonder if you need to enable safelock in module 17 to see the MFD display ??

It did show some tickboxes, but not bits 1,2,6,7. I have wondered what would happen if I left the Safelock bits enabled and just disabled "Central locking".
I never thought of looking in the Instruments module, thanks. Though seeing Safelock on the MFD is the least important part. More experimentation is needed but it looks as if I should be able to activate some form of deadlocking all round, which is the main thing. Odd how it works, but in a completely opposite way.

Click the byte your modifying on the very top line and delete one letter, you should see all eight tick boxes appear for that byte and hopefully (fingers crossed) a description for each bit

Click the byte your modifying on the very top line and delete one letter, you should see all eight tick boxes appear for that byte and hopefully (fingers crossed) a description for each bit
I'll try that tomorrow night, thanks. Any chance you could identify the part no of the sliding door lock I need if you get chance? It would need to be off a Cali though as I have an OS sliding door.

Actually, just found this further down in the same list of codes

Byte 10 Bit 3 Active display of "Safelock" in den Multi Function Display (Anzeige Safelock im Schalttafeleinsatz aktiv)

I would try selective locking off as this just adds a complication and its easier to test with all the doors locking and unlocking at th3 same time.
Then looking at the bits in the coding list you posted I would unselect the 2 motor deadlocks and enable the single motor safe locks as thats what we have I think.
So I make that:
00-0 off
00-1 off
00-2 off
00-3 (your choice)
00-4 (your choice)
00-5 ticked
00-6 ticked
00-7 ticked

Thanks I'll try that. I did wonder about the 2 lock thing, I thought it meant it takes 2 turns of the motor but I see what you mean, it's a diferent type of lock from Safelock which is why it's taking 2 presses. I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'm so close now.

Yep that did the trick. Deadlocking now works as normal with one press and two presses to lock without deadlocking. The only snag now is that drivers door only unlock will not work, all doors open together whether the option is ticked or not. I'm thinking that that could be the system getting confused with having one deadlock door and two not, so I'll see what happens when they're all done. There is no Safelock warning on the MFD and when I looked the bit to display it was already set. Having said that, I don't know at what stage the warning would normally show, is it when the ignition is turned off and keys removed? Not that important anyway though, the functionality was all that mattered. I should get time to replace the passenger lock on Sat. No matter how many times I've done it on T5 and 6 I always make a complete pigs ear of putting the door card back, in fact I think I get worse each time!

Reactions: Loz
Passenger door lock now in and deadlocking, "driver door unlock only" working again, Safelock warning on MFD. Just the sliding door lock to change now, the part no has been identified and one on its way from Ebay. Should be all done by next weekend and then I can get back to the alarm mods.

Reactions: Loz
Not had any time this week so am no further on, but I do have a new problem. I drove the van for the first time since putting the new locks in and the first thing I noticed was that when the drive away locking worked, it would immediately unlock all the doors. This happened every time I came to a halt and then pulled away - the doors would all lock and then immediately unlock. Then I found that even when I pressed the lock button on the door, they would all lock and then instantly unlock again.

So when I got home I disabled the auto lock and unlock-when-key-removed functions to eliminate that as a cause, but it doesn't make any difference. Even when I press the lock button with no keys in the ignition the same thing happens. This means I can't have the doors locked at all when I'm driving now, which I don't like. The doors deadlock fine with the remote though.

Anyone any ideas why it just doesn't want to stay locked?

Not had any time this week so am no further on, but I do have a new problem. I drove the van for the first time since putting the new locks in and the first thing I noticed was that when the drive away locking worked, it would immediately unlock all the doors. This happened every time I came to a halt and then pulled away - the doors would all lock and then immediately unlock. Then I found that even when I pressed the lock button on the door, they would all lock and then instantly unlock again.

So when I got home I disabled the auto lock and unlock-when-key-removed functions to eliminate that as a cause, but it doesn't make any difference. Even when I press the lock button with no keys in the ignition the same thing happens. This means I can't have the doors locked at all when I'm driving now, which I don't like. The doors deadlock fine with the remote though.

Anyone any ideas why it just doesn't want to stay locked?
After having read through all the information in the thread, I’m not feeling competent to add anything. But as you encouraged anyone any ideas…

A guess would have been that a door is signaling not being closed but that would be easy to detect on MFD. Another guess is that a lock is signaling back to control module not being locked. Unfortunately I have no documentation to back me up if there is such a mechanization built in.

Just thinking out loud, is it possible the door actually never wants to stay locked but when using the fob the deadlock is holding it shut ?

After having read through all the information in the thread, I’m not feeling competent to add anything. But as you encouraged anyone any ideas…

A guess would have been that a door is signaling not being closed but that would be easy to detect on MFD. Another guess is that a lock is signaling back to control module not being locked. Unfortunately I have no documentation to back me up if there is such a mechanization built in.
It was a good call, I remembered that the tailgate can sometimes be open slightly without the MFD recognising it, but it wasn't that. Thanks for the suggestion though :thumbsdown:

Just thinking out loud, is it possible the door actually never wants to stay locked but when using the fob the deadlock is holding it shut ?
Yes that sounds highly likely. The first time I noticed it was after fitting the passenger side lock, but I hadn't driven it after fitting drivers side lock so I can't say for definite it wasn't there then.

Ok the locks are all in now and deadlocking is working on all doors. Can't call the job finished unfortunately as the unlocking problem remains. My gut feeling is that the problem started when the passenger lock was fitted so my next day off is going to be stripping that down again to see if I can work out whats happening. I'll do a scan and see if that gives any clues too.

My guess would be not closed switch, but if that was the case, the interior light would be on!

Definitely check with vcds that the module sees the doors closed.

My guess would be not closed switch, but if that was the case, the interior light would be on!

Definitely check with vcds that the module sees the doors closed.
It does seem as if everything's pointing to that, but like you say things like the interior light and MFD should show that, and it should have been doing its nut if it thought I'd driven 150 miles with a door open.

Back