Fixing my van's lack of security

Spent an hour and a half pulling, pushing, twisting, not the slightest movement :( Cut my hands to ribbons getting the inner door panel off, it's not as easy with the door shut.
I can get to the back of the lock and I've tried plugging and unplugging the electrical connector with no luck, so I'm stuck with a jammed drivers door.
This is what it looks like from the inside by poking my phone in, anyone any ideas I haven't tried?

File 30-10-2017, 19 38 35.jpeg

So if you lock it manually with the key in the barrel, do you hear the motor being wound back when you pull the inside handle?

Just been out to check. The lock barrel is currently out but if I turn the slot with a screwdriver and pull the inside cable something moves with a mechanical sound but I can't tell if it's the motor. If I lock it with the remote when I'm inside I can feel a jolt and pull if I hold onto the interior release cable. If I then pull on the cable there seems to be more movement than when I lock it with key if that makes any sense?

So it still sounds to me that the lock is misaligned and the loop that goes into the lock catch is stopping it from releasing enough to let go of the loop.

Do you have any nylon wedges like large trim tools? I was thinking that you might try lifting the door a bit from the inside by jamming them under the door? Or even loosening the door hinges from the inside to allow the door to move a bit?

Yes I've got plastic trim tools, also plenty of plastic window framing shims that I could use. There's no movement in the door though, it feels very tight to the body. Can I get to the hinges with door shut? I'll try again tomorrow then and see if I can move the door to release it, thanks.

Also, thinking what you said earlier; did you take that lock apart? And did you check that pulling the lever released the catch after you reassembled it?

Also, thinking what you said earlier; did you take that lock apart? And did you check that pulling the lever released the catch after you reassembled it?
No I took the one I removed apart, and the ebay one that was to go in the passenger side. I'm glad I did as I would have put the replacement in the passenger side thinking it was deadlock capable when it wasn't. I didn't take the one that is now in the drivers door apart so I don't know what its internals are like, or if it has the deadlock parts, as at that stage I was working on the assumption that it was, as the part no was correct. I did open and close the door multiple times without problem though, it was only when I locked it with the remote that it all went wrong.

Okay, if you think the deadlock has activated but bcu is not programmed to un-deadlock ityou could put 12v across pins 1&2 which will driver the motor one way round it will lock, the other way it will unlock.

Okay, if you think the deadlock has activated but bcu is not programmed to un-deadlock ityou could put 12v across pins 1&2 which will driver the motor one way round it will lock, the other way it will unlock.
Oh that would be good, I hope that’s what it is as it would mean I’m part of the way there and an easy way out of this! That’s blue/yellow and purple? I’m going to get up an hr early tomorrow and try, fingers crossed.

It didn’t work :( I could hear the motor clunk but the door release cables moved exactly the same amount whichever way round the 12v was applied and when it wasn’t. After a while it stopped responding altogether when the power was applied so it now looks like I’ve burnt out the motor. It just goes from bad to worse, I really wish I hadn’t started this.

It sounds like it is deadlocked and your door control unit (window module) doesn't have the facility to release the deadlock. My Elsa is down at the moment so I can't check which wire that is, if you can find it and try pulsing it with a negative through a 900 ohm resistor that might do the trick.

what this video from 8:42... as it will give you an idea (if you can get access )to release the deadlock.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've a horrible feeling that electrical solutions may be off the table if I have burnt out the motor but I'm going to stuff some food down quick and get out and try some of these ideas, wish me luck.

File 31-10-2017, 19 11 52.jpeg

Tada!! :D

The motor is indeed totally dead but that video was the key @Loz , thanks so much. I did what he did and put another lock on the seat oriented the same so that I could refer to the bits I could see through the inside grommet hole and wedged a large screwdriver under the plastic locking arm and levered it up while putting another one under the metal arm and heaved. It took some force but went clunk and half opened and repeating it opened it fully. I've got the lock out now for a post mortem.

File 31-10-2017, 19 35 48.jpeg

This one clearly has the deadlocking mechanism in place but it's unclear whether it was deadlocked in the van as I had to put the lever under a fair bit of pressure to force it open so it could have moved it out of the way. Either way, this lock is fubar'd as the motor is dead so replacements are needed before moving on.

It’s just occurred to me that I could save a ton by taking the deadlocking circuit board and extra plastic bits from the eBay locks and using the motor and mechanical parts from the new motors that were in my van so I’m going to try and do that.

Latest instalment in my quest to overcome mechanical twattery. Well after a week of building and rebuilding I can add VW lock expert to my brief skill list and can strip and rebuild one in no time. One thing I'd mention here is that some ebay breakers will sell the same part with different part no. searches i.e. you may not get the part you think you're getting ("They're all the same mate"). One lock I got, which turned out to be for a Seat, did not line up with the mounting bracket, and another seller even supplied me with a lock without electronics to fit a vehicle without central locking. They will also carrying on using the same photo too. All put right but added more time and messing about.

So I rebuilt a drivers lock with all the best bits from each and tested (with the door open @Loz ;)) and again it worked perfectly opening and closing, until I locked and unlocked and then tried to open, at which point the same happened again! So lock out of the van and after much experimentation I've finally found the problem. It wasn't deadlocking, it wasn't the alignment of the latch, and it wasn't a faulty lock. What happened was that at some point I'd managed to pull the end holding clip of the internal release cable further towards the end. Less than 10mm, but the T6 has much less play in this cable than the T5 to give a more precise action, and that 10mm is enough to prevent it from moving the opening lever over the full range. When you lock the door from the inside using the door button, you are pivoting that plastic lever at the top down to stop the metal unlatching lever moving up and opening the door. When you then pull the internal release, the cable pull the metal lever up, which moves the plastic lever out of the way, unlocking the door. The second pull then opens the door BUT ONLY IF THE METAL LEVER RETURNS TO ITS LOWEST POSITION. If the lever cannot go all the way back down, it will not reset and then will not open the door, no matter how much you pull it, and you are left in the limbo of having an unlocked door that will not open from either side.

File 05-11-2017, 15 39 10.jpeg

So once I'd realised that, I worked the end clip further down the cable (it's very tight, god knows how I'd moved it) so that at rest it now looks like this

File 05-11-2017, 15 39 46.jpeg

That made all the difference, the latch and lock barrel are now back in the driver's door and it opens, closes, locks and unlocks flawlessly every time.
So a problem solved and a minor victory, but it only gets me back where I started. I now need to do the same on the passenger side when I'm next off, and then try and establish if the sliding door needs a different lock (it probably does given that my original front door locks didn't have the deadlocking mechanism) and source one. It's then going to be a matter of working out how the recoding is done, and whether the door control modules need replacing or if the BCM controls them.

Back