fixed price service plan: brake fluid?

Hattiecamper

VIP Member
Morning, a bit of advice please. I have a T6 Kombi Transporter. Just booked in for first MOT and service for which I took out a fixed price service plan, informed it will be major service. Is it usual to need brake fluid change as an extra?

Morning, a bit of advice please. I have a T6 Kombi Transporter. Just booked in for first MOT and service for which I took out a fixed price service plan, informed it will be major service. Is it usual to need brake fluid change as an extra?
From memory I think brake fluid is supposed to be changed every two years.

We had the same situation….yes we paid extra for brake fluid…:)

I think the recommendation is 1st change at 3yrs and there after every 2yrs.

Reactions: Loz
Check your Nipples lol .......... they should bleed a new tin of fluid out a bit from each wheel to get new through the system or they just top you up as your brakes wear down and say its replaced

I wouldn’t trust VW to change the brake fluid, it’s to easy to skip to catch up on time.
I change the fluid when the pads are changed, pushing back the caliper pistons regardless of how good the boots are will cause some contamination.

I understand but I've owned vehicles 10 years old, 200K miles on the clock, never had brake fluid changed and stopped fine. I'm going with every three years.
Completely understand @DaveD...me too....it was a bit of a tongue in cheek reply to my friend lol. :thumbsup:

Just had a major service and due the MOT next month. Just had the call saying my break fluid needs to be changed… surprised it’s not included in the service plan tbh. Any more recent thoughts on this. They want to charge £90, probably plus VAT…

That's normal....

"Brake fluid - At year 3 and every 2 years after that"

And normally an extra as it's fluids etc ....

Had mine done at year 3.... Suppose it's due again at some point this year.

If you within any warranty then have it done, either at VW or a vat local indy using OEM parts.

I challenged the cost of fluid change with my dealer and agreed £36 was more paletable. Always worth ringing round the dealers for the best price. Then agreeing a price match.

Back