Servicing - costs, schedules and VWCV plans

So should I wait until there's 9k on the clock before booking in for an oil service, rather than having one at the 12 month mark?
My thinking is this.

The VW spec oil is long life for the extended interval, the risk is if contamination builds up. In the modern transporter engine the main contamination is likely to be diesel due to the way DPF regen is done, especially if the regen is often interrupted.

I know I'm mostly doing long runs, I use the start/stop to alert me if a regen is running at journey end and I keep a broad eye on it via the VAG DPF app.

So personally I'm happy having it done once a year, coincidentally it was just over 9k last time but it may be a bit more this year. I'd probably not let it go over 12k

If you're not keeping an eye on regens or doing lots of short runs where they may be interpreted then maybe aim to change earlier to offset the risk.

My thinking is this.

The VW spec oil is long life for the extended interval, the risk is if contamination builds up. In the modern transporter engine the main contamination is likely to be diesel due to the way DPF regen is done, especially if the regen is often interrupted.

I know I'm mostly doing long runs, I use the start/stop to alert me if a regen is running at journey end and I keep a broad eye on it via the VAG DPF app.

So personally I'm happy having it done once a year, coincidentally it was just over 9k last time but it may be a bit more this year. I'd probably not let it go over 12k

If you're not keeping an eye on regens or doing lots of short runs where they may be interpreted then maybe aim to change earlier to offset the risk.
Interesting - how does stop/start alert you to a regen? Presumably it doesn't operate when a regen is in progress(?)

My typical pattern of usage is long journeys to get to/ from a chosen campsite (typically West Yorkshire to Cornwall/Northumberland/South Wales & back) with a daily drive of between 20 and 60 miles as we explore the area around the campsite. Generally, I refuse to use the van for any journey under 20 miles for fear of risking the wrath of the DPF gods, although some exceptions are inevitable (e.g. getting the windscreen replaced).

I tend to have start/stop switched off and rarely notice when regens are occurring and can only remember once arriving somewhere with a regen in progress (so I left the engine running whilst it completed). Hopefully these precautions will appease the DPF gods and allow me to service every 9k, which, at current usage, means every 18 months. Am I being foolish with this approach?

So should I wait until there's 9k on the clock before booking in for an oil service, rather than having one at the 12 month mark?
I change whichever comes first, for the cost of oil+filter.
I've had diesel since I could drive legally for 40 years (flipping heck) and never had a problem doing this system.
The last car before my T6 was a VW Bora 1.9 TDI sold with 190k on the clock, which was never a problem.
That's my way of doing it.

Reactions: Bav
I change whichever comes first, for the cost of oil+filter.
I've had diesel since I could drive legally for 40 years (flipping heck) and never had a problem doing this system.
The last car before my T6 was a VW Bora 1.9 TDI sold with 190k on the clock, which was never a problem.
That's my way of doing it.
Thanks Nick.

Interesting - how does stop/start alert you to a regen? Presumably it doesn't operate when a regen is in progress(?)
Exactly that, I always make sure I turn start/stop on when I finish a trip and let the van stop itself.

So many things can disable it (regen, battery health) I treat it as a little regular health check.

If it doesn't stop and the revs are raised, likely a regen.

In your situation I'd still change the oil annually even if you didn't reach 9k.

Honestly the whole cloak and dagger everyone seems to design around DPF is nuts. I don't see why they can't just have a dash light that shows when it's doing a regen, heck show me how long it has to run, and ideally pop up a message that one is needed in the next 20 miles and let me trigger it when I know there is time.

Yes some folks might get spooked by a light so make it an option. My van is forever giving me safety advice and alerts don't see what's so secret about a fairly major behaviour of the engine that if you ignore can shorten it's life and hit your wallet hard.

Sorry bit of a rant there.

Thanks Nick.
If you just need an oil+filter change you could go to J Motors in Ripponden and ask Matt to use genuine vw parts.
He is a top bloke very helpful, he also has a transporter.

If you just need an oil+filter change you could go to J Motors in Ripponden and ask Matt to use genuine vw parts.
He is a top bloke very helpful, he also has a transporter.
Yes, dealt with Matt previously and found him to be a sound guy. Didn't know he had a transporter though. :thumbsup:

I felt (based on the usage as a camper rather than daily user), and with estimated annual mileage of 5k to 6k to have a first service at 18 month (7000m) and the second service/MOT at 35 months (14000m), just within warranty, and ready to leap onto a new service plan at 3 years.

The oil service message did come up at 29 months (11 months after 1st service). My local dealer said bring it down, we'll plug in the computer and if it looks ok reset to 2 year interval - and no charge!!

For the next 3 years I had a freestanding warranty, and Standard (2 service) VW plan, again I serviced at 18 month intervals (20000m & 26000m)

I am now on the All-in plan, and am seriously considering annual servicing so that both services are done within the warranty period.

Hi, just my thoughts,

My 2022 6.1 150 was set to run long life servicing but I would never let it go that long. I change the oil and filter at a maximum of 10K miles or yearly and use genuine VW longlife III 0W 30. I buy 10 litres and use the leftover to carry onto the next oil change as it takes around 7 litres at a time. The oil is expensive but clean good oil is crucial for diesel longevity and why skimp when you've paid probably £40K and above for your van! You see it so often with tyres, people buy expensive Audi's, BMW's etc and as soon as they want some tyres they put cheap shit "Gripalotti's" on them because Michelins etc are "too expensive".....I just don't get it.

I find when mine goes into regen a good indicator is if the engine is hot it will idle at 1000rpm instead of 850 plus you can hear the fans running, things smell hot and the oil temperature is raised a few degrees, but agree that a "reminder" on the dash that a regen is taking place would be helpful.

It seems to be difficult to find out what the item service schedule is from VW, they also seem to have extended the life of a lot of the components lately and taken off the age relation for cambelts, the chart below is info I have found out but is Not Guaranteed and anyway I will be servicing my van far more frequently than is recommended...but that's just me.

Attachments

• Service intervals.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Love
Hi, just my thoughts,

My 2022 6.1 150 was set to run long life servicing but I would never let it go that long. I change the oil and filter at a maximum of 10K miles or yearly and use genuine VW longlife III 0W 30. I buy 10 litres and use the leftover to carry onto the next oil change as it takes around 7 litres at a time. The oil is expensive but clean good oil is crucial for diesel longevity and why skimp when you've paid probably £40K and above for your van! You see it so often with tyres, people buy expensive Audi's, BMW's etc and as soon as they want some tyres they put cheap shit "Gripalotti's" on them because Michelins etc are "too expensive".....I just don't get it.

I find when mine goes into regen a good indicator is if the engine is hot it will idle at 1000rpm instead of 850 plus you can hear the fans running, things smell hot and the oil temperature is raised a few degrees, but agree that a "reminder" on the dash that a regen is taking place would be helpful.

It seems to be difficult to find out what the item service schedule is from VW, they also seem to have extended the life of a lot of the components lately and taken off the age relation for cambelts, the chart below is info I have found out but is Not Guaranteed and anyway I will be servicing my van far more frequently than is recommended...but that's just me.
The new cambelt regime is "interesting" - my annual mileage is likely to increase as we get into the swing of campervanning, but at current usage levels I wouldn't reach 130k for another 21 years!

Whilst accepting that VW have removed the time element, what would folks suggest would be a sensible, prudent timeframe for replacing the cambelt?

Whilst accepting that VW have removed the time element, what would folks suggest would be a sensible, prudent timeframe for replacing the cambelt?

Personally time wise I wouldn't want to go any longer than 5 years and also would do a visual of the belt up until then looking at condition, for oil leaks etc. I think when a belt breaks its often a pulley or roller fault that has caused it, if a bearing has worn or breaks it will throw the belt off with resulting carnage.

I had the belt changed last year on my 1.5 EVO engined Golf, a very time consuming and expensive job which a lot of people are moaning about. The variable cams have to be set dead right to run properly with expensive equipment, definitely not DIY. My local indie who is an ex Audi RS technician had to buy £6500 of gear to do the VAG range that use that engine design but has got a lot of work in doing so including main dealer cars, one of which had to be trailered to his in bits as the main dealer couldn't get it right....scary!!!

My typical pattern of usage is long journeys to get to/ from a chosen campsite (typically West Yorkshire to Cornwall/Northumberland/South Wales & back) with a daily drive of between 20 and 60 miles as we explore the area around the campsite. Generally, I refuse to use the van for any journey under 20 miles for fear of risking the wrath of the DPF gods, although some exceptions are inevitable (e.g. getting the windscreen replaced).

I tend to have start/stop switched off and rarely notice when regens are occurring and can only remember once arriving somewhere with a regen in progress (so I left the engine running whilst it completed). Hopefully these precautions will appease the DPF gods and allow me to service every 9k, which, at current usage, means every 18 months. Am I being foolish with this approach?
Just a heads up, but when I had the oil level high warning, the VW Assist guy who came informed me that just just sitting with the engine running at the end of a journey does not let the engine complete the regen. Apparently the van detects this and stops the regen before its finished. (At least on a T6.1). He did seem very switched on. Talked to me a bout a lot of things. Did the updates in a non standard way so that it didnt delete mu coding changes eg TPMS.

Just a heads up, but when I had the oil level high warning, the VW Assist guy who came informed me that just just sitting with the engine running at the end of a journey does not let the engine complete the regen. Apparently the van detects this and stops the regen before its finished. (At least on a T6.1). He did seem very switched on.

Hmm that's interesting as I've sat in my drive a time or two waiting for a regen to finish, after five minutes or so it goes back to 850rpm idle and the fans shut down and I've concluded that its done ...but maybe not then !!!!

I think the truth is somewhere between the two as I often take it as a prompt to connect the VAG DPF app and watch the regen and I've certainly seen them carry on - you can see the soot values reduce, the DPF temperatures raised and the time increase.

I've never seen it end early but then I know roughly how long my regens take and if it's just started I do stop the engine knowing it will need to compete next start if I don't have time to drive it.

Personally time wise I wouldn't want to go any longer than 5 years and also would do a visual of the belt up until then looking at condition, for oil leaks etc. I think when a belt breaks its often a pulley or roller fault that has caused it, if a bearing has worn or breaks it will throw the belt off with resulting carnage.

I had the belt changed last year on my 1.5 EVO engined Golf, a very time consuming and expensive job which a lot of people are moaning about. The variable cams have to be set dead right to run properly with expensive equipment, definitely not DIY. My local indie who is an ex Audi RS technician had to buy £6500 of gear to do the VAG range that use that engine design but has got a lot of work in doing so including main dealer cars, one of which had to be trailered to his in bits as the main dealer couldn't get it right....scary!!!
Thanks. Dare I ask how much does a cambelt replacement cost? And what else should be replaced/ checked whilst replacing the belt?

(I feel like I'm hijacking my own thread, but I am ignorant and need to come up to speed with at least the theory of these things!)

I think the truth is somewhere between the two as I often take it as a prompt to connect the VAG DPF app and watch the regen and I've certainly seen them carry on - you can see the soot values reduce, the DPF temperatures raised and the time increase.

I've never seen it end early but then I know roughly how long my regens take and if it's just started I do stop the engine knowing it will need to compete next start if I don't have time to drive it.
This VAG DPF app - is it available on Play Store? Will it 'just work' or is there anything I need to add/do to the van?

Just a heads up, but when I had the oil level high warning, the VW Assist guy who came informed me that just just sitting with the engine running at the end of a journey does not let the engine complete the regen. Apparently the van detects this and stops the regen before its finished. (At least on a T6.1). He did seem very switched on. Talked to me a bout a lot of things. Did the updates in a non standard way so that it didnt delete mu coding changes eg TPMS.

For me, I guess the important question is whether, by allowing the engine to run-on, the amount of unburnt fuel ending up in the oil is minimised? If so, then whether the regen is completed or abandoned becomes a moot point.

Back