Servicing - costs, schedules and VWCV plans

Bav

Explore, discover, enjoy, repeat...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All.

Looking for some advice and info about all things servicing.

Van first registered Jan 2023 and delivered directly to the convertor for a full conversion. Since picking it up in early May, it's done around 5.5k miles. I intend the van to be a long-term keeper, so I'm looking to avoid the long life service schedule.

So, my servicing-related questions are:
  • What's the default service schedule set to from factory - fixed interval or long life?
  • How can I tell which service schedule it's set to?
  • Is it possible to change the service schedule and, if so, how?
  • What's the current cost of a minor and a major service cost at a Van Centre without a service plan?
  • Until 2 April, there's 20% off a 2-year VWCV service plan (24 x £22.50, or 1x £540) - is this good value?
  • Can I take my van to any Van Centre for the servicing?
  • Any recommendations as to which Van Centres to use (or avoid) in the NW/Yorkshire regions? (I've heard good things about Liverpool, but to avoid Manchester)
  • What are the likely lead-times for booking-in for a service at a Van Centre - should I be looking to book now for a May slot?
TIA for any input/ advice.

Paul

Based on my experience of a MY T6.1 that I've owned long enough to put through one service

1. Mine was long interval
2. For me it was obvious from the data in the infotainment system (it shows miles and time to next service) also available in WeConnect (now Volkswagen app)
3. Probably, all it changes is the service reminders, so I just took mine for a service when I wanted to do it
4. Depends on the van centre from what I can see - try online booking from the VW site to see prices
5. I intend to buy the All In when I reach that point
6. Yes, though keep in mind goodwill tends to happen if you have a longer term relationship with one company
7. Sorry not my region
8. I'd start looking, the Van Centre I bought mine from didn't return my emails or calls when I wanted it serviced so went to another that had about a 2 week lead time

Reactions: Bav
I'm in the same sort of boat. Van is 22 plate, 10k miles, not had any indication of a service required by notification on the van directly, but want to get a plan sorted for when the time comes, and in the need of some guidance as to what people do.

The 20% off deal that you mention, I looked into it and it only applies to vehicles aged 3 to 6 years old.

Hi All.

Van first registered Jan 2023 and delivered directly to the convertor for a full conversion. Since picking it up in early May, it's done around 5.5k miles. I intend the van to be a long-term keeper, so I'm looking to avoid the long life service schedule.

• What's the default service schedule set to from factory - fixed interval or long life?
  • What's the current cost of a minor and a major service cost at a Van Centre without a service plan?
  • Until 2 April, there's 20% off a 2-year VWCV service plan (24 x £22.50, or 1x £540) - is this good value?
  • Any recommendations as to which Van Centres to use (or avoid) in the NW/Yorkshire regions? (I've heard good things about Liverpool, but to avoid Manchester)
  • What are the likely lead-times for booking-in for a service at a Van Centre - should I be looking to book now for a May slot?

Paul

Hi All.

Paul
Cleckheaton have always been good for me.

The 20% off deal that you mention, I looked into it and it only applies to vehicles aged 3 to 6 years old.
Are you sure?

Looking here...
...it appears to include the 2 year service plan for vans 0-12 months old.

I was looking at using the Oldham van centre, not heard anything bad as it's quite new...... but that doesn't mean its good

@DazS did you put your van details in? Last Autumn on the 20% sale I bought a service only plan for my then 18 month old Caravelle with the same discount.

I can't check myself directly as I now have an active plan, but I can't see anything in the advertising that says the 20% is All In only, so maybe worth a dig.

@DazS did you put your van details in? Last Autumn on the 20% sale I bought a service only plan for my then 18 month old Caravelle with the same discount.

I can't check myself directly as I now have an active plan, but I can't see anything in the advertising that says the 20% is All In only, so maybe worth a dig.

I'll get my shovel!

So the "All In" plan is the way to go in your opinion?

So the "All In" plan is the way to go in your opinion?
For your van right now it's not an option if you are under 3 years old as you have remaining factory warranty, but you can get a standard 2 year service plan.

Keep in mind that while that plan is active you can't take out another one including the All In Plan. If you want to take the All In out when the factory warranty runs out you might not use up both services on the service plan before the warranty runs out and might be better off just paying for a single service.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

I cover about 12k a year, mostly m/way miles. I hear of people having a service every 2 years if your mileage is mostly motorway.

Is that right or total rubbish in your opinion?

Based on my experience of a MY T6.1 that I've owned long enough to put through one service

2. For me it was obvious from the data in the infotainment system (it shows miles and time to next service) also available in WeConnect (now Volkswagen app)
3. Probably, all it changes is the service reminders, so I just took mine for a service when I wanted to do it
4. Depends on the van centre from what I can see - try online booking from the VW site to see prices
6. Yes, though keep in mind goodwill tends to happen if you have a longer term relationship with one company
7. Sorry not my region
8. I'd start looking, the Van Centre I bought mine from didn't return my emails or calls when I wanted it serviced so went to another that had about a 2 week lead time
Thanks for the input.

Long interval - that's the chappie (long life - is that the oil? :rolleyes:).

Haven't seen it in the infotainment system as I usually have Android Auto connected, but have now downloaded and set up the VW app (what a faff that was!). Anyway, under Health Check the app says:

Next service: 310 days / 14,700 mi​
Next oil service: 310 days / 16,000 mi​

So I guess that means it's set up for long interval servicing.

@DazS personal opinion is the long interval servicing is designed to suit the accountants looking after fleets of high mileage vans rather than the vans themselves.

I'd rather have the oil changed regularly and the van looked at at least every year.

So I guess that means it's set up for long interval servicing.
Yep, mine currently says this even though I did an "annual" oil service from the service plan:

Screenshot_20240323-191108-01.jpeg

On the plus point if you've set the app up you'll get notifications should the alarm trigger, plus if you worry you left it unlocked or a window down you can check remotely.

On the plus point if you've set the app up you'll get notifications should the alarm trigger, plus if you worry you left it unlocked or a window down you can check remotely.
Yeah - just been playing. The neighbours are probably wondering what's going on as I tried the locate via "horn & turn signals" and struggled to turn it off again!!

Yeah - just been playing. The neighbours are probably wondering what's going on as I tried the locate via "horn & turn signals" and struggled to turn it off again!!
I've no idea what you mean... ahem... :whistle:

• Haha
@DazS personal opinion is the long interval servicing is designed to suit the accountants looking after fleets of high mileage vans rather than the vans themselves.

I'd rather have the oil changed regularly and the van looked at at least every year.
I always change the oil and filter every year or 9,000 miles regardless
Oil is the main thing on a diesel

I always change the oil and filter every year or 9,000 miles regardless
Oil is the main thing on a diesel
So should I wait until there's 9k on the clock before booking in for an oil service, rather than having one at the 12 month mark?

7. Sorry not my region
I swear but Hull VW van centre I got a two service plan when I bought mine in 22 for £150.00+vat

Back