T32 brakes - quick sanity check?

samazon

Hi all,

Looking for a quick sanity check. I’ve just had my T6 kombi back from Volkswagen for MOT/ service and whilst there they did a rear disc and pad changes. I’ve got home and noticed the rear discs are smaller than the fronts - is this the usual case? It’s a 2017 T32 150 kombi. I’ve measured the rear discs and they are 294mm.

Sorry for the basic question, I have tried to look up the part number online and also asked garage to confirm they were T32 brakes but not totally reassured by his answer!! The part number of the new discs fitted is 615 601 D

Very much appreciated.

Yes, the rears are smaller, most of the work is done by the fronts so the rears don't need to be as big.

Yes all T6's have the same size rear discs, 294mm. T32 has 340mm front discs, the rest have 308mm front.

Bigger front discs and smaller rear discs (or drums) have been a thing for cars for about 50+ years!! The front brakes do most of the braking.

Yes all T6's have the same size rear discs, 294mm. T32 has 340mm front discs, the rest have 308mm front.

Bigger front discs and smaller rear discs (or drums) have been a thing for cars for about 50+ years!! The front brakes do most of the braking.
Not strictly true about all T32 being 340mm at the front but yes, all rears are smaller to some degree.

normal,

more info here:

Too much braking power on a rear end of the vehicle would see the vehicle spin round when braking really hard or emergency stopping , the ABS on modern cars stops this of course , but it is the reason why the rears arent as big as the front

Back