Fitting out a panel van

BlackstarUK

Good morning all

I'm looking at a getting a 2018 T28 Highline panel to convert to a Kombi rather than pay the premium for someone else having already done it.

My question is.....does anyone know of a reputable firm in or near Manchester.... than can fit carpets / side windows / maybe reupholster the seats to leather ?
Would also be good to get a steer on cost

All replies appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

We’re based in Glossop so not a million miles away and always happy to help or provide a quote.

Feel free to give me a call on 07723459872

Thanks Brandon

Welcome.

My thought process was similar for my previous van as I wanted a Kombi and had no intention of converting to a campervan. So I bought a panel van, removed bulkhead and fitted side windows, genuine rear Kombi seats and belts and a single front passenger seat and base.

Rear seats, brackets, reinforcing plates and belts were approx £1000
Single front passenger captains seat with base was another £1000
Windows were approx £500

With other bits and bobs e.g. tools to take out the bulkhead it came to £2600 - fitted by someone would have added another £500-£1000.

With my current van I bought a factory Kombi as it still gets used the same and is still not a campervan. It was literally 3 years old to the day when I bought it and I estimate I paid approx £5K premium over a panel van of the exact same condition, spec, age and mileage.

So yes, it is slightly cheaper to buy a PV>Kombi over a factory Kombi.

But, for me, having done the conversion once I couldn’t stomach doing it again, so wanted to get a factory Kombi that was ready to go so the extra spend was more than worth it to me.

*I have left off the cost of deadening, insulating and carpet lining as I did this on both vans.

I’m fairly sure that there are some additional body stiffeners on a production Kombi and the rear bumper bar is longer. Basically safety features for passengers.

I believe the rear bumper reinforcement is replaced with steel / alloy strengthener bar instead of polystyrene on a panel van

Good morning all

I'm looking at a getting a 2018 T28 Highline panel to convert to a Kombi rather than pay the premium for someone else having already done it.

My question is.....does anyone know of a reputable firm in or near Manchester.... than can fit carpets / side windows / maybe reupholster the seats to leather ?
Would also be good to get a steer on cost

All replies appreciated

Thanks
So you’re still going to pay someone to do the work, rather than save “proper” money & DIY. And at the end, you won’t have a Kombi, you’ll have a looky likee. In the big scheme of things, if all you’re going to save is a couple of grand, I’d buy a genuine factory Kombi. It will be worth more when you come to sell it.
Just my 2 penneth

I hate to raise it again but doesn’t the 60 / 70 MPH speed limit thing influence matters?

So you’re still going to pay someone to do the work, rather than save “proper” money & DIY. And at the end, you won’t have a Kombi, you’ll have a looky likee. In the big scheme of things, if all you’re going to save is a couple of grand, I’d buy a genuine factory Kombi. It will be worth more when you come to sell it.
Just my 2 penneth
Yes, hadn't thought about resale. Good point.

I hate to raise it again but doesn’t the 60 / 70 MPH speed limit thing influence matters?

Oh lord not that big can o worms :whistle:

The way I approach this (having driven commercial vehicles both at work and at home for many years) is the Type Approval on the V5.

N1 (Panel van, Kombi, 7.5t) = 50 A roads, 60 Dual carriageways, 70 Motorways
M1 (Shuttle) = same as a car 60 A roads, 70 Dual carriageways, 70 Motorways

I have no issue cruising along at 60 on a dual carriageway or 50 on an A road.

So PV>Kombi or Kombi would be the same.

Back