Fitting Fold-on-lock Mirror Relay

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
If you have any T6 other than a MY17 then you can code in autofold mirrors (providing you already have power folding mirrors) with VCDS, but if you have a MY17 with the incompatible door modules, the only way is by adding hardware.

There was a kit from Travellinlite which seemed a bit expensive, and being a cheapskate I found a chinese equivalent on eBay and bought that, paying £22.89 in Sept 17 according to my purchase history. I have no experience of the Travellinlite one so I don't know how similar it is, so I can only speak about the cheap one. The instructions were really bad and take some working out, while poring over the T6 wiring diagrams to find which connections to use. I'm not remotely an expert in this stuff so there may be an easier/better way of doing this, but what I've done works so I thought I'd put it here for anyone else who is thinking of having a go. Sadly I didn't take any pictures as I was doing it but I'll describe what I did.

First off, this is the kit I used, if yours looks like this with the same wiring colours it's probably the same, but I'll put the function after each one in case the colouring has changed.
IMG_1200.JPG
It basically receives a trigger from the lock and unlock feeds, and when it gets them it sends power to either the fold or unfold connection for about 7 seconds.

First thing, off with the door cards. You then need to unpick the loom close to the window motor and locate the Green/Red and Green/White wires, and cut them. This is the feed to fold/unfold the mirrors and your device is going to sit in the middle.

Now find the Blue/Yellow and Purple wires in the door and expose some of the copper without cutting (you could always cut and strip both ends if you found it easier, but they must be joined back up again afterwards).
These are the unlock/lock feeds.

You now need to connect the Green wire (door unlock detector) from the unit to the Blue/Yellow wire in the door. You can leave this step out if you want, and if you do then the mirrors will unfold when you put the key in the ignition rather than when you unlock. I wanted the latter so connected it.
Next connect the Blue wire (door lock detector) from the unit to the Purple wire in the door.

As mentioned above, the Purple and Blue/Yellow wires must be reconnected if you have cut them, you are just taking a tap off them to provide a signal.

Connect the Black wire from the unit. These's a nice convenient ground screw near the top of the door.

Next, connect the Orange wire of the unit (fold output) to the Green/White wire end NEAREST THE FRONT and connect the Brown wire of the unit (unfold output) to the Green/Red wire end NEAREST THE FRONT.

Now connect the White wire from the unit (unfold input) to the Green/Red wire end NEAREST THE BACK and the Grey wire from the unit (fold input) to the Green/White end NEAREST THE BACK.

Now the fiddly bit, you have to duplicate this on the other door, cutting the Green/White and Green/Red wires again (no need to bother with the lock/unlock connections, that's only needed once) and then joining the front Green/White to front Green/White etc until you have connected all four so that they are all passing through the unit.

Now you need to connect the Yellow of the unit to Acc +12v and the Red to Constant 12v.

How I did these last 2 steps was to get some 7 core trailer cable and measure out how much I would need from the inside of one door, across the dash and into the other door. Then I stripped some insulation from exactly halfway through the cable and cut the Red and Yellow wires in it. I then soldered an extra metre each of Red and Yellow wire to the ends that would lead to the drivers side, before heat shrinking the connections and putting a bit of Tesa tape around to give them a bit more strength for when it was pulled. Then I fished the cable from one door, through the concertina conduit, behind the dash and out into the other door through the other concertina conduit (I bet these have a proper name don't they?). I was then able to connect all the Green/White etc wires to their twins from the other door, then grab the two wires that I'd soldered into the middle of the cable (making it sound like I did this in 10 secs and not the 15 mins and 2 scraped fingers it actually took) and connected those up to fuse taps in their appropriate columns in the lower dash fusebox.

Then it was just a case of connecting up the two power wires on the unit, plugging the fuse taps in and testing.
All working correctly :thumbsup:

One extra bonus of doing it with hardware is that it works when you unlock/lock the van as normal without having to use the press and hold comfort locking as on the coded factory method. Just like the factory version, the manual fold/unfold button on the door also still works as it did before.

I realise reading back through this, it sounds a hell of a lot more complicated than it actually was and I wish I'd taken a few pics as I was going along. If nothing else though, the trial and error identification of the correct coloured wires to connect into might be useful to somebody in the future.

But 18 months after buying this little gadget, I'm pleased I've got round to fitting it, it's a nifty feature.

Last edited:
Back