Fitting Fiamma With Pop Top Mount Mods

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Im leaning towards buying the fiamma f45 mounts that go into the gutter and bolt into the standard van holes.

Having the pop top fitted the hinge stops me fitting the rear so if I fit the front, tigerseal it to the van.
I was thinking of cutting the bolt section off the rear and tigersealing the back one on. The only thing that will be missing is the bolt and bolt platform section.

Would this still be adequet to support the awning safetly? I really do not want to fit a reimo rail as that means drilling into the side of the van and I would rather limit the amount of small holes over the van.

Picture below is taken from a great website online but is not mine. This would be the front one.
Fitting-a-Fiamma-F45s-awning-to-T5-Transporter-4.jpg

For the back I would then cut this section off but it would still be tigersealed to the van.

Fitting-a-Fiamma-F45s-awning-to-T5-Transporter-4cut.jpg

On mine after a year I noticed the tiger seal had failed and all that was holding it on were the bolts!
I took them off, removed as much of the seal as I could, applied a good dollop more and refixed.
So.........my advice would be not to rely on just the tiger seal.

Thanks. I am regretting my move from Sikaflex to tigerseal. I've put tigerseal on my solar so wont be looking forward to replacing it.
Totally understand so you think I should 100% rethink it.
I will have abit of research into the reimo. I do use a kampa awning so that will probably be a good shout.
I am fitting twin awnings so need to check I can get a left and right reimo rail.

Blimey. With the reimo rail the fiamma sticks up super high. That will probably be higher then my pop top by 2-4cm

Ok. I am going to do what the guys done here. I will cut the rear and install some rivnuts into the body for safety and support. Will save me having a high bracket. Love the idea of the reimo but that is going to be a £400 odd extra.

Omnistor awning fitting

Right. Time to do some updates.
I saw no reason to fit an expensive reimo rail when I had already spent a fortune on the wind out fiamma awnings.
I went with the standard fiamma vw t5/t6 mounts that came with the awnings. I painted them black quickly just to hide the ally colour.
The front one fitted no problem but as the pop top hinge blocked the rear mount I cut off the mount section, drilled holes in the mount, drilled holes in the van (ouch) fitted the riv nuts, plenty of sikaflex on both front and rear mounts and away we go. They feel really solid and overall I am happy.
I have more pictures from throughout the process if you need them, give me a shout and I will dig them out.

20200306_122558_resized.jpg 20200306_122605_resized.jpg 20200308_104142_resized.jpg 20200308_104155_resized.jpg

Back