Help needed in fitting a Fiamma F45s along side a pop top

Curlynot

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I have a T6.1 2022 Kombi SWB fitted with a Jerba Campervans pop top and no awning rails.

I have a Fiamma F45s awning and the bracket kit that bolts to the original roof bar mounting points. I have done a trial mock up and there appears to be clearance to use the original fixing point and brackets at the front but the rear is a no go because of the pop top hinges. I imagine I need to cut the "gutter" part off the bracket and then use riv nuts/bond to hold the back one on?

I tried to look at several at the NEC last month and all the ones I could see that had pop tops on had had the brackets chopped both ends and riv nutted on in a variety of places, some no where near the "support" stickers on the awning box which the manufacturers instructions say should align with the brackets.

So... those of you that have a F45s with a pop top how are yours fixed on and what are the measurements for your brackets from the rear of the van and are the bracket positions actually crucial? bearing in mind the photos of the blue van were from an approved converter!

Original bolt to be picked up for front Fiamma bracket

front roof bolt.jpeg

Fiamma bracket mock up

front full bracket fitted.jpeg

NEC front bracket cut and shut...at least 6" rearwards from instructions

blue front.jpeg

NEC rear bracket cut and shut... no where near "support" sticker.

blue rear.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a fiamma with pop top fitted myself … but using reimo rail / rivinuts drilled into the roof and sika flex bonded … a bit of trial fit like you say .. I never fitted brackets right on the ‘support’ stickers as I wanted to drill and bolt the awning onto the brackets for security otherwise it can be lifted off .. the ‘support’ stickers seemed to be where the base for the swinging arms are located and would have stopped me drilling for security bolt fixing.
Yes the rear bracke fixing location need to avoid the scissor hinge locations .. mine are approx 300mm from either end of awning and the awning starts approx half way /middle passenger door .. I will try and load some photos from Google photos

The connector is for led lighting in the awning which is switched from inside the van :cool:

I have a fiamma with pop top fitted myself … but using reimo rail / rivinuts drilled into the roof and sika flex bonded … a bit of trial fit like you say .. I never fitted brackets right on the ‘support’ stickers as I wanted to drill and bolt the awning onto the brackets for security otherwise it can be lifted off .. the ‘support’ stickers seemed to be where the base for the swinging arms are located and would have stopped me drilling for security bolt fixing.
Yes the rear bracke fixing location need to avoid the scissor hinge locations .. mine are approx 300mm from either end of awning and the awning starts approx half way /middle passenger door .. I will try and load some photos from Google photos

Thanks for the info, that's helpful :thumbsup:

I guess it makes sense that the "support" stickers align with the pivot point of the arms as that's where the most load and twist will be on the brackets, but you make a good point about being able to bolt the awning box on. I guess that's why the ones at the show seemed to be bolted on all over the place. I haven't undone my awning box yet but think I will use the proper bolt/bracket for the front and riv nut/bond a chopped bracket on the rear as close to the support stickers whilst being able to reach the bolts. You would think the manufacturers would leave a gap to reach the bolting points especially as they advise in the instructions to line the brackets and stickers up! Perhaps all will be revealed when I open it all up, if it ever stops raining :(

Regards

I also have a Vamoose rail on the van but adapted the T6 gutter style plates so that I didn't have to drill through my roof. Still the same problem as you, and most others with a pop top roof, the rear gutter fixing is covered by the hinge. Everything I saw showed the bracket being mounted forward of the hinge, so as you say nowhere near the support marking on the frame. I bolted my rear adaptor into the first available gutter fixing from the rear. I haven't noticed any problems due to twisting or bending in use. If it does become an issue I could bolt on a strengthening bar between where it is fixed and the marked support section, but I haven't heard of problems and it appears to be a common installation method.

i didn't use security bolts, but did put a couple of extra bolts through, using locknuts. Someone could unbolt it if they wanted to, but as it was a pain to get to some of the bolt/nuts with the roof down good luck to them.

I also have a Vamoose rail on the van but adapted the T6 gutter style plates so that I didn't have to drill through my roof. Still the same problem as you, and most others with a pop top roof, the rear gutter fixing is covered by the hinge. Everything I saw showed the bracket being mounted forward of the hinge, so as you say nowhere near the support marking on the frame. I bolted my rear adaptor into the first available gutter fixing from the rear. I haven't noticed any problems due to twisting or bending in use. If it does become an issue I could bolt on a strengthening bar between where it is fixed and the marked support section, but I haven't heard of problems and it appears to be a common installation method.

i didn't use security bolts, but did put a couple of extra bolts through, using locknuts. Someone could unbolt it if they wanted to, but as it was a pain to get to some of the bolt/nuts with the roof down good luck to them.

Interesting...I'm not using an awning rail and it sounds like you have used the front gutter bolt as per my top two photos and maybe the bolt hole just in front of the hinge as below, roughly above and to the rear of the "C" pillar, is that correct?

side view.jpeg

Sorry, don't have a photo of the fixing, only this with the sliding door open. It is an Austops roof, which may make a difference. If I recall correctly the rear hinge covered the rear most gutter fixing so I've used the second from rear. Looks like it is to the rear of the C pillar, if that is the rear of the sliding door opening - the door is shown fully open.

The adaptations aren't pretty, but I really didn't want to drill holes and insert rivets in my roof. I can remove these brackets leaving only a couple of holes through the Vamoose rail that could easily be covered over and are fully external so no leak worries. I know the vamoose has holes drilled through the bodywork, but I didn't put that on!

Fiamma fitting.jpg

Back