Fitting a Fiamma 45s roof hinge in the way

jimbo77

Hello everyone, I've just brought my fiamma 45s to fit on my T5.1 the problem is I have a westdub poptop roof and the rear hinges clashes where I'm supposed to fit this! I don't want to spend more money on further awning rails so should I just adapt the rear fiammia bracket to suit and rivet and tiger seal ?? Thanks jimbo

I was looking at this at last years NEC show and what you are suggesting appears to be the norm from converters, cut the bracket, riv nut and Sikaflex 252. But even then I didn't see any that had fitted the rear bracket far enough back to align with the "support" markings on the Fiamma box. I haven't fitted mine yet as waiting for warmer weather for the Sikaflex but I'm going to use the next available factory bolt hole from the hinge to fit my rear Fiamma bracket. Just my opinion but I don't see it making any difference to how it holds the box on the roof when its closed up but it will mean there is more "twist" in the box when winding out the awning as there is a lot of leverage then, so as long as I support the weight of the awning while someone else winds it out I don't think it'll be a problem and will save drilling the van and fitting riv nuts. IF it does prove a problem then i'll re do it as a cut and shut. The two pictures below are of converted vans at NEC.

blue rear.jpeg

green rear.jpeg

Reactions: JOG
I was looking at this at last years NEC show and what you are suggesting appears to be the norm from converters, cut the bracket, riv nut and Sikaflex 252. But even then I didn't see any that had fitted the rear bracket far enough back to align with the "support" markings on the Fiamma box. I haven't fitted mine yet as waiting for warmer weather for the Sikaflex but I'm going to use the next available factory bolt hole from the hinge to fit my rear Fiamma bracket. Just my opinion but I don't see it making any difference to how it holds the box on the roof when its closed up but it will mean there is more "twist" in the box when winding out the awning as there is a lot of leverage then, so as long as I support the weight of the awning while someone else winds it out I don't think it'll be a problem and will save drilling the van and fitting riv nuts. IF it does prove a problem then i'll re do it as a cut and shut. The two pictures below are of converted vans at NEC.

View attachment 230397

View attachment 230398
Great guidance there.

I would also suggest that it is also possible to drill a different hole in the awning to accommodate the bracket being in a different place.

Back