Fitting 2nd Row Seat Brackets so I can move my Kombi Bench back

Having done the job for a 3 seater bench the factory provisions weren’t there plus I think the wheel tubs will get in the way

Hello, been looking around the forum to see if any one has done this with the 2 + 1 set up. A lot of people talk about it but no definitive answer to say yes it can be done.

Any one know for sure having done the conversion or have pictures. Looking to do it on a 2016 factory kombi with the 2 + 1 rear seats that are currently fitted.

Thanks

You can add in third row brackets that will fit a three seat bench or a single seat (with integrated seat belt) using the middle seat from a 1+1+1 set-up.

Pretty sure it can't be done with a 2+1 due to the restricted space between the wheel arches. Too many brackets required for this set-up.

Last edited:
I've now completed this little project - it has transformed the way we can use the van all year round without having to get out!

View attachment 90458

Kombi floor bracket blank covers from Van X

I did a SWB Panel Van > Kombi conversion on my new to me T6 about 18 months ago.

I bought a kit of genuine parts from a conversion company that comprised the 3 seater bench (in Simora to match the front), 4x floor brackets, underfloor reinforcement plates, seatbelts, upper mounting plates and a Kombi padded floor mat.

After removing the exhaust, undertrays and dropping the diesel tank it was easy enough to fit the brackets and with a bit of ingenuity required to fit the upper seatbelt plates I completed the conversion.

During those 18 months I have carried a rear seat passenger once !

The main use has been for either me or the wife to sit at the table (the other in the single passenger seat swivelled round) to eat lunch on a day trip, or after a walk or cycle ride.

View attachment 89488

But, it was a little cramped and you had to get out, swivel the seat, fit the table and get back in - not ideal in the cold and wet.

So I started researching the 2nd/3rd row with the intention of moving the 3 seater bench back and opening up the space inside.

No intention of sleeping in the van so a rock n roll bed was a waste of money for us and I already had the Kombi bench.

View attachment 89493

The floor brackets turned out to be super easy - for around £100 I bought another set of 4 with the reinforcement brackets, the dimples were on the floor pan to see where to drill and I didn’t need to remove anything underneath the van to do up the nuts - I did need a wobble bar to get the socket on the front two which are inside the rear suspension chassis mounting.

I also needed to cut out 4 more holes in the Kombi padded floor - they are outlined underneath the floor mat so it is easy to cut with a Stanley knife.

As for seatbelts - the 2nd row upper mounts are not drilled on a panel van and as my van is lined and carpeted it would have been a real ball ache to get them fitted. So I decided that with the seat in the 2nd row I would just use the centre belt and limit to carrying one passenger. If I ever need to carry two or three in the rear then I will simply move the bench back into the 1st row so that the outer seats have seatbelts too. For the MOT I would also refit the seat in the original Kombi mounts.

The amount of space inside is now fantastic. The rear ‘boot’ behind the bench is also still very useable.

I’m going to fit a removable kitchen pod inside and another table.

I have fitted Van-x caps to the original 1st row floor mounts and intend to fit a large tailored mat too.

Overall I’m very pleased with the modification.

These photos show rough position of bench in 2nd row and prior to fitting the mounts...

View attachment 89491View attachment 89492
hi mate just doing my van i have all the bits now rear pod new mats going to move seats at weekend did you have to remove the heat plate under van when fixing brackets thank dave

Nice job! Im looking to do this to my kombi, but wondered if the bench seat could sit between the second and third row? I.e use the rear bracket of the 2nd row and front bracket of the third row, would that work?
Hi David, I know this is an old thread, but I have been contemplating doing the same Idea on my Kombi 1+2 2nd row, using the rear bracket as front brackets and instaling new brackets as rear, especially as I have noticed the seatbelts on the pillar are set so far back on the pillars. is this at all practical from your experience on your conversion?

Hi David, I know this is an old thread, but I have been contemplating doing the same Idea on my Kombi 1+2 2nd row, using the rear bracket as front brackets and instaling new brackets as rear, especially as I have noticed the seatbelts on the pillar are set so far back on the pillars. is this at all practical from your experience on your conversion?
Hi, in a SWB it doesn't work which is unfortunate as would be a very hand position. has to be either in row 2 or 3, it wont straddle them as the spacing of the floor brackets are not all equal
hope that helps!

@david173 hi can you tell me if all those floor brackets are equally spaced ? We have bought our t6 swb with it already been carpeted , n flooring done … seats are positioned at the very back and was hoping to be able to pull them out and shuffle rear legs forward to front bracket to locate dimples to cut out flooring and fit two more brackets so we have space behind for slide pod . Any advice on if that would work be much appreciated

790F01F5-D626-406B-A088-4287274F0D30.jpeg

@david173 hi can you tell me if all those floor brackets are equally spaced ? We have bought our t6 swb with it already been carpeted , n flooring done … seats are positioned at the very back and was hoping to be able to pull them out and shuffle rear legs forward to front bracket to locate dimples to cut out flooring and fit two more brackets so we have space behind for slide pod . Any advice on if that would work be much appreciated

View attachment 172171
no, explained more in post 45 it wont straddle row two and three unfortunately from memory the gap is about 1inch to much

Seriously considering doing this again in my current van. It is a Kombi so the threaded holes are already there top and bottom for the 3rd row belts. The extra brackets for the floor are easy too.

Would need to think about the table arrangements this time - got the round one on the B pillar that can be used by the person in the swivel passenger seat but need something for the person sitting on the bench as it will be too far away.

:thumbsup:

Seriously considering doing this again in my current van. It is a Kombi so the threaded holes are already there top and bottom for the 3rd row belts. The extra brackets for the floor are easy too.

Would need to think about the table arrangements this time - got the round one on the B pillar that can be used by the person in the swivel passenger seat but need something for the person sitting on the bench as it will be too far away.

:thumbsup:
I’ve got the MS Craft swivel which reaches my sidewall mounted table nicely

93B4EF72-9625-45B7-982B-6AD8E273489D.jpeg

430E95CA-D6EB-465D-9983-DCF5121A3194.jpeg

57245497-7468-45FE-8109-6C811891BCC5.jpeg

Have done this again in my current van - difference was it is a factory Kombi (my last van was a PV I converted to a Kombi) so I have the captive nuts for the seatbelts - just need to cut a slot in the side panels for the seatbelts when I can work out/find out the measurements.

There was already a second skin/reinforcing plate/chassis member underneath all of the bolt holes - again this must be because the Kombi and Shuttle share the same bodyshell vs the panel van.

Now looking for a solution to house my 6x9 speakers and a home for the EcoFlow Delta Mini to live.

@david173 reminded me that Vangear do a floor mounting base for a table - there is a picture on their website that shows how they are held in place - J bolts.

So I might have a go at my own version.

1672658554629.png

1E0F477E-E55F-4D26-8D54-01A6CE3FB173.jpeg

5AC0B90D-6017-4560-ADB5-12A368A04182.jpeg

5F5441DC-A8DF-43CB-A901-C357EAF3B332.jpeg

2998D9F6-2A62-4629-BEBE-9756730F8445.jpeg

AD83072D-65A3-4EB7-8BF7-255CFB4B0058.jpeg

Have done this again in my current van - difference was it is a factory Kombi (my last van was a PV I converted to a Kombi) so I have the captive nuts for the seatbelts - just need to cut a slot in the side panels for the seatbelts when I can work out/find out the measurements.

There was already a second skin/reinforcing plate/chassis member underneath all of the bolt holes - again this must be because the Kombi and Shuttle share the same bodyshell vs the panel van.

Now looking for a solution to house my 6x9 speakers and a home for the EcoFlow Delta Mini to live.

@david173 reminded me that Vangear do a floor mounting base for a table - there is a picture on their website that shows how they are held in place - J bolts.

View attachment 183847

View attachment 183848

View attachment 183849

View attachment 183850

View attachment 183851

View attachment 183852
I have the Vangear table. It's well made and does the job. Just got the fittings through before Christmas for the Caravelle rail system as I had Kombi seating before. Almost pulled the trigger a few times on a genuine Caravelle table, but I'm gonna see how well this works before parting with a stack of cash for one.

I have the Vangear table. It's well made and does the job. Just got the fittings through before Christmas for the Caravelle rail system as I had Kombi seating before. Almost pulled the trigger a few times on a genuine Caravelle table, but I'm gonna see how well this works before parting with a stack of cash for one.
Thanks for this - I really like the vangear products.

I intend to use the near side front and rear 3 seater bench mounts but the table leg needs to sit closer to the sliding door so not exactly what they sell unfortunately.

Thanks for this - I really like the vangear products.

I intend to use the near side front and rear 3 seater bench mounts but the table leg needs to sit closer to the sliding door so not exactly what they sell unfortunately.

View attachment 183847

View attachment 183848

View attachment 183849

View attachment 183850

View attachment 183851

View attachment 183852

This is the thread I’ve been looking for.
Really keen to move my bench back and fairly happy to have a crack at it.

I have a T6 factory kombi, just to confirm - the floor mounts can be drilled out and bolted through a reinforcement plate that’s already underneath? And this can be accessed with limited mechanical knowledge (without dropping fuel tank etc). Some people seem to use additional brackets, are these required?

Also, I gather the seat belt fitting points should be there. I’ve carpeted some time ago, do you have a rough location and what I’m looking for before I go ripping out panels.

Generally pretty happy to tackle this one and it will make a massive difference to the use of my van.

Appreciate any pointers, cheers.

Last edited:
Back