Fitting 2nd Row Seat Brackets so I can move my Kombi Bench back

t6blo

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I did a SWB Panel Van > Kombi conversion on my new to me T6 about 18 months ago.

I bought a kit of genuine parts from a conversion company that comprised the 3 seater bench (in Simora to match the front), 4x floor brackets, underfloor reinforcement plates, seatbelts, upper mounting plates and a Kombi padded floor mat.

After removing the exhaust, undertrays and dropping the diesel tank it was easy enough to fit the brackets and with a bit of ingenuity required to fit the upper seatbelt plates I completed the conversion.

During those 18 months I have carried a rear seat passenger once !

The main use has been for either me or the wife to sit at the table (the other in the single passenger seat swivelled round) to eat lunch on a day trip, or after a walk or cycle ride.

5EFB487E-068F-4A5A-9554-CD7D5C2A0374.jpeg

But, it was a little cramped and you had to get out, swivel the seat, fit the table and get back in - not ideal in the cold and wet.

So I started researching the 2nd/3rd row with the intention of moving the 3 seater bench back and opening up the space inside.

No intention of sleeping in the van so a rock n roll bed was a waste of money for us and I already had the Kombi bench.

DB37A18A-3F5E-4DFB-9A63-D089A7AFBF96.gif

The floor brackets turned out to be super easy - for around £100 I bought another set of 4 with the reinforcement brackets, the dimples were on the floor pan to see where to drill and I didn’t need to remove anything underneath the van to do up the nuts - I did need a wobble bar to get the socket on the front two which are inside the rear suspension chassis mounting.

I also needed to cut out 4 more holes in the Kombi padded floor - they are outlined underneath the floor mat so it is easy to cut with a Stanley knife.

As for seatbelts - the 2nd row upper mounts are not drilled on a panel van and as my van is lined and carpeted it would have been a real ball ache to get them fitted. So I decided that with the seat in the 2nd row I would just use the centre belt and limit to carrying one passenger. If I ever need to carry two or three in the rear then I will simply move the bench back into the 1st row so that the outer seats have seatbelts too. For the MOT I would also refit the seat in the original Kombi mounts.

The amount of space inside is now fantastic. The rear ‘boot’ behind the bench is also still very useable.

I’m going to fit a removable kitchen pod inside and another table.

I have fitted Van-x caps to the original 1st row floor mounts and intend to fit a large tailored mat too.

Overall I’m very pleased with the modification.

These photos show rough position of bench in 2nd row and prior to fitting the mounts...

02C0A312-BA0A-4751-AA3E-77470D2A70FF.jpeg22BFADD3-C7E4-4AF4-8C05-0A40FF712BA0.jpeg

Last edited:
hiya

doing simular but with singles...
1+1+1 in that position on my lwb
and ns 1+1 with pod where yours is...
will picture up when done or where im at etc..

This looks exactly the way I need to go and what great job you’ve done

During your research did you happen to notice options for rear inertia belt fitments that far back?

This looks exactly the way I need to go and what great job you’ve done

During your research did you happen to notice options for rear inertia belt fitments that far back?

Thanks
Yes, you can fit genuine vw belts but because my van was a panel van there are no captive nuts in situ and although they can be retrofitted if the van is ply lined and carpeted it is a real ball ache - so if I ever need to carry more than one rear passenger I will simply remove the kitchen pod and move the Kombi bench back into the first row.

You’ll need these VW T5 T6 Transporter third row 2 x rear seat belts kit inc bar and D pillar nut | eBay

Hi guys my setup is in.. minus the floor ... i need to do that next..
the belts on row three will be sorted soon too.. in to the carpeted wall panels etc
I have the bits its just time to sort.
Ps if anyone needs outer singles.. im your man.

Thanks
Yes, you can fit genuine vw belts but because my van was a panel van there are no captive nuts in situ and although they can be retrofitted if the van is ply lined and carpeted it is a real ball ache - so if I ever need to carry more than one rear passenger I will simply remove the kitchen pod and move the Kombi bench back into the first row.

You’ll need these VW T5 T6 Transporter third row 2 x rear seat belts kit inc bar and D pillar nut | eBay

Same here mine is a converted panel van and is lined and carpeted , gonna have to think carefully about this but would really like the flexibility this set up gives.

You use the black (C pillar into belt housing area) plastic on the rear quarter carpeted area.. and i cant find a picture!
rectangular black one that sits in the smallest ply panel that the belt comes out of. Sorts the exit of the belt from within the rear quarter to interior area :)

Nice job! Im looking to do this to my kombi, but wondered if the bench seat could sit between the second and third row? I.e use the rear bracket of the 2nd row and front bracket of the third row, would that work?

Possibly .. would have to measure... row 3/4 possibly... unsure further up front... but your Seat belts will be all out of position.. ?

Possibly .. would have to measure... row 3/4 possibly... unsure further up front... but your Seat belts will be all out of position.. ?
Yeah but the kids are in isofix seats so no worries with that, also wondering if the 3rd row belts would reach?

Also did you need reinforcing plates for the floor brackets please? Thanks!

Nice job! Im looking to do this to my kombi, but wondered if the bench seat could sit between the second and third row? I.e use the rear bracket of the 2nd row and front bracket of the third row, would that work?

You’d need to measure once you can see the bare floor to ensure there is the correct distance between them in that position - it might work.

Also did you need reinforcing plates for the floor brackets please? Thanks!

Yes, I did fit them.

You’d need to measure once you can see the bare floor to ensure there is the correct distance between them in that position - it might work.

Yes, I did fit them.
Deadening my floor today so have the kombi mat out. Dont think the bench will sit between the 2nd and 3rd row (row 2.5 haha) as the spacing isnt equal FYI.
The front feet of the bench might sit in the rear brackets of row 2 for just sitting in the van parked but can't travel like that as the bracket for the back feet would be too near the back of the van, its approx 2 inches out

Hi new to this - that's pretty much what I would like to do to mine.
I have 2 plus 1 in the rear can I put the floor mounts in the third row for these or is it only a bench that fits ?
Also does the sink / cooking pod lift out too?
Cheers
Rich

Hi new to this - that's pretty much what I would like to do to mine.
I have 2 plus 1 in the rear can I put the floor mounts in the third row for these or is it only a bench that fits ?
Also does the sink / cooking pod lift out too?
Cheers
Rich
From my research around the forum I've seen two singles at each edge, single in the middle on its own and the triple bench. The last two share the same mount positions

i have lwb and have fitted (with some serious head scratching and making of own lower brackets) 3 singles in row 3...

so im single captains..in front row..
left single, centre single...on row two with pod under side window
3 singles... row 3...
row 4... the bed system where as you would drop row 3 flat and use the rear "table section" and the cushioning...

on hols we remove row 2 for dog bed and overall space as the passenger captains also swivels round and we have a table that goes on to the pod..
its a kind of make use of all scenarios and people usability...

:)

Back