First trip into Europe with a 4 year old

d_m_m

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help, my wife and i have decided to head into Europe in the van this year for the first time with a 4 year old, we are looking at any advice/recommendations on where to go, where to sleep (campsites) and anything you have found enjoyable or useful on your journeys.

We have discussed pre-booking places as my wife will be 6 months pregnant and doesn't want to wing the journey, what do you think on this as i would wing it personally.

TIA.

We’ve had some lovely holidays in Normandy and Brittany with young kids (now 16/18!).

One of our favourites is Chateau de Lez-Eaux. It has a nice indoor heated pool and 20mins from the beach. Fishing lake, shop, bar and bakery/takeaway.

We’ve always gone in a Eurocamp caravan but the site has camping pitches for tents, motor homes etc.

Hi,

Looking at going through France, maybe Belgium/Germany possibly depending on what people suggest.

Just looking for any ideas, recommendations.

Thank you @Paynewright , I’ll show my wife this site a see what she says.

When are you planning on going as that will dictate whether pre-booking would be essential. We tend to do a couple of 4/6 week trips a year but never in school holiday times - we never pre-book and have never been turned away from a site - that said, on a few occasions we have been lucky enough to get one of the few remaining pitches. I think you might also do well to avoid the the Olympics in France (JulyAug/Sep if you include the Paralympics) and Euro 24 in Germany (Jun/Jul) but you will need to research that in a bit more detail.

Last edited:
How about Annecey, Chamonix, Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald, Mulhouse, Strasbourg loop? Mountains, lakes, towns with loads to do from adventure sports to sightseeing. There are campsites near all but it’s been many years since I’ve stayed in any of them.

@True Romance is spot on. You might not have the choice but I wouldn't want to go anywhere near campsites in UK or Europe during summer holidays.

I’d second what @Paynewright suggested and go to Brittany: lovely place for family camping holidays, lots of good campsites, good beaches, old towns and castles, festivals, crepes, cider, and not too far to drive with a wee one (and pregnant wife).
Lots of ferry options with Brittany Ferries direct to eg Roscoff which cuts the drive down further.

If you really want somewhere further then the suggestion by @ginkster is also a good one: the Alps make an excellent summer holiday - especially if you like a bit of outdoor activity.
But personally I’d save that until the kids are older and active… or at least more capable! Stick to relaxed beach holidays pottering making sandcastles and eating ice creams (or beer/wine/cider for Dad) when they are wee!

Hi @Ayjay

We are looking at going in August as my wife works in a school. Looking at going for approx 2/3 weeks.
As the lesser half of a now retired teacher, and having spent the best part of 30 years holidaying in France during summer holidays, my advice would be don't. But if you must go then, keep the travelling to a minimum, July & August on the continent is hard work. We used to go for 6 weeks & stay on the same site, we booked from year to year. If we didn't book we wouldn't stand a chance. Also, prices go through the roof, so expect to be bent over. As previously mentioned, Normandy & Brittany are great options, not too hot & less crowded. Forget going south.

But personally I’d save that until the kids are older and active… or at least more capable! Stick to relaxed beach holidays pottering making sandcastles and eating ice creams (or beer/wine/cider for Dad) when they are wee!
Clearly each to their own, but we’ve been taking our kids to the Alps since they were born (24 years ago for the oldest). Admittedly mostly chalets or hotels and a couple of Eurocamps (Annecey and Lauterbrunnen) rather than camping in the van. There is just so much to do even if they are in a pram or backpack. Cable car rides, easy high altitude walks, train rides, play parks, climbing walls, mucking about in the rivers, rafting, paragliding (my son went when he was 5), luge (Chamonix), go karts, easy biking (tag-along or their own bike), glaciers….. Many of the lakes have fantastic beach areas with kayaking, water parks and all the beachy stuff to get that fix too. Experiences and memories my kids will have for life.

We were stuck to school summer holidays once the kids arrived (plus SWMBO working in a school) and haven’t had an issue with traffic from Calais to the Alps (mostly Chamonix, Morzine, Le Plagne areas) using the autoroutes, other than once with some roadworks near Reims. It can be awful if you stray nearer Paris though and we had a terrible journey trying to get from Brittany to Chamonix once! Going further east down through Belgium and German can also be bad with traffic. We find the worst part of the journey is always the UK bit. The autoroute is cruise control set to 130kph for hours on end!

Clearly each to their own, but we’ve been taking our kids to the Alps since they were born (24 years ago for the oldest). Admittedly mostly chalets or hotels and a couple of Eurocamps (Annecey and Lauterbrunnen) rather than camping in the van. There is just so much to do even if they are in a pram or backpack. Cable car rides, easy high altitude walks, train rides, play parks, climbing walls, mucking about in the rivers, rafting, paragliding (my son went when he was 5), luge (Chamonix), go karts, easy biking (tag-along or their own bike), glaciers….. Many of the lakes have fantastic beach areas with kayaking, water parks and all the beachy stuff to get that fix too. Experiences and memories my kids will have for life.

We were stuck to school summer holidays once the kids arrived (plus SWMBO working in a school) and haven’t had an issue with traffic from Calais to the Alps (mostly Chamonix, Morzine, Le Plagne areas) using the autoroutes, other than once with some roadworks near Reims. It can be awful if you stray nearer Paris though and we had a terrible journey trying to get from Brittany to Chamonix once! Going further east down through Belgium and German can also be bad with traffic. We find the worst part of the journey is always the UK bit. The autoroute is cruise control set to 130kph for hours on end!
Aye I think the Alps are fabulous for family holidays and very under-rated…
…but frankly if they’re younger than say at least 6 then they’re not really going to make the most of it (limited physically) and they’re not going to remember much of it (for life) either if they’re only 4 or younger!
So save a very long boring drive (for them at least) and take them to eg beaches much nearer!!

I’m merely saying I don’t think it’s the best choice for very wee kids given other options.
Each to their own…

Yep, it’s a great place. I know exactly what you mean regarding the drive. I guess it depends what they are used to and your own upbringing as well. We as kids and our kids have always done very regular long journeys so we don’t even give it a second thought. We are not really beachy types either so tend to head to the mountains and didn’t let the kids being young stop that! Some pics to tempt @d_m_m if they are up for a drive!

FF8E0365-C7CA-4134-AF45-CB44487D4A68.jpeg66F26180-9CAC-42C8-8C13-A515F4C58EA3.jpeg51BB3FAC-FEFD-4BB2-8635-417525222A35.jpeg84BF9547-5944-4B17-A8EB-9C6A3F8F9169.jpeg43DA2527-D00C-4C4F-AD6D-10B06ACAA1D3.jpeg

Back