Complete novice - can you point me in the right direction please?

Hi everyone,
I have wanted a campervan for as long as I can remember, I'd been actively looking for a van for 2 years and saved money to buy one and then fell pregnant...now with a 4 and 2 year old I am more than ready to take the plunge.
I would like a bit of a challenge, so would like to do most of the conversion myself - making it bespoke for our family.
Please can you share any; books, websites, instagram accounts etc...I'm looking particularly for the most efficient order to follow and 'how to guides'?
Thank you :)

Welcome to the forum.
Loads of info on this site with different style builds by different people.
Also alot of helpfull how I done it threads by forum members especially @Dellmassive. You will find more or less everything you need here with alot of help with ur questions from the forum members but you just got to read.
Good luck with your build.

Hi everyone,
I have wanted a campervan for as long as I can remember, I'd been actively looking for a van for 2 years and saved money to buy one and then fell pregnant...now with a 4 and 2 year old I am more than ready to take the plunge.
I would like a bit of a challenge, so would like to do most of the conversion myself - making it bespoke for our family.
Please can you share any; books, websites, instagram accounts etc...I'm looking particularly for the most efficient order to follow and 'how to guides'?
Thank you :)
The forum is your lobster, everything you seek is here. Just use the search function.

Welcome just keep the questions coming or take a look on this forum great bunch of people out to help every step of the way
Look around get to some shows and don’t be afraid when your on a site or out and about to start the chat with other VW owners
Oh and take your time ️
Best of luck

I bought a standard panel van in September last year and have spent the last 5 months slowly turning it into a camper on my drive. I still haven't quite finished but it's pretty much there.
I have done everything myself except for the pop top and suspension change.
This forum is an absolute goldmine for information so this was my main resource, along with some YouTube videos from likes of Combe Valley Campers and Kiravans.

Do a lot of reading / watching, and enjoy!

As has been said. Loads of great people and advice on the forum here. You can do as much or as little of your own work as you have time / confidence / patience for.

I think I completed YouTube whilst researching and learning about how to build our van. Kiravans, Combe Valley Campers and Just Kampers all have good videos on how to do jobs yourself. Also check out Explorist life. An American couple but really good instructions on how to do electrics.

Don't be scared to give it a go. I wish we'd entered the campervan scene when our kids were younger to have some family adventures. Start yourself a build thread because if there's anything the forum likes more than helping someone spend their money, it's photos.

Feel free to check out my build thread. It’s far from the best on here but some of it may help.

My interior layout arrived bed yesterday so I’ll be building and installing that soon

Never such thing as a daft question so here goes any help would be great
I am about to add a circuit to my leisure battery
Happy with cable switches and routing ect but one question my leisure battery is fitted with a multi connection to the positive side I think called a busbar this is how the converter has connected the other things in my van
Now I will of course install a inline fuse
But my question is can I remove and install a extra circuit to the positive and negative side of the battery I do have a solar panel connected as well
Should I be doing anything first ?
Can I just un bolt connect and re bolt up the main terminal
Taking care not to touch the supply to the body ect
I won’t be touching the ignition
Thanks for your help

Welcome to the forum! Here’s my build thread. I picked up everything I needed from this forum, with backup from videos on the Kiravans website, and the wiring size calculator on 12voltplanet.

Never such thing as a daft question so here goes any help would be great
I am about to add a circuit to my leisure battery
Happy with cable switches and routing ect but one question my leisure battery is fitted with a multi connection to the positive side I think called a busbar this is how the converter has connected the other things in my van
Now I will of course install a inline fuse
But my question is can I remove and install a extra circuit to the positive and negative side of the battery I do have a solar panel connected as well
Should I be doing anything first ?
Can I just un bolt connect and re bolt up the main terminal
Taking care not to touch the supply to the body ect
I won’t be touching the ignition
Thanks for your help
This might be better as it's own thread and post some pics?

If you have bus bars in place you shouldn't need to be going to the battery terminals? Or do you mean the battery terminals that are a bit larger than normal and have 3 or so bolts on them to ease wiring?

Back