Driving to Croatia, and in Europe generally.

Ricardo T

Now or Never
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I wonder if some of you worldly people could give some advice please...my daughter and her boyfriend (both 21) are planning their summer travels in their newly acquired T4 down to Croatia towards the end of July, for around 5-6 weeks and heave never driven abroad and I haven't either for around 20 years or so, so im not really qualified to offer too much from personal experience. We may go with them on the first leg to help get them on the right footing, especially when you first arrive off the ferry/train (not sure which atm) and everything hits you at once.
They are travelling on a fairly tight budget but want to make it a trip to remember so any advice on a reasonable route down with plenty to see and do, and any countries/places to avoid. They haven't decided on a definite route as yet as they are still researching and they are hoping to wild camp most of the time so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
And lastly what are the requirements in terms of essential items (bulbs/hi-viz) to take for the vehicle/country or any other items generally. Thank you guys and gals and other genders.:)

I generally wild camp in Europe. France is easy, Spain is less easy, Portugal is becoming very difficult, Switzerland is near impossible, Northern Italy is possible If you are careful.
As for Croatia wild camping is illegal, I haven’t visited yet (next destination) but some countries use the ban as a ‘cash generator’.
In general if you park up after most people are in bed and leave as they are waking up you get away with it.

There are a few app’s that help with cheap / free camping; searchforsites, park4night and a few more (google)

ACSI Webshop | The starting point for a great holiday provides discounted campsite fees.

Vicarious Media - Motorhome Aires and Stopovers provide books, app’s for a comprehensive guide to campsites in quite a few countries.

As for a newly acquired T4 I‘d be looking to have a major service and get a few thousand miles on the clock to prove it before venturing too far.
Breakdown insurance cover varies, read the small print several times. Expect the premium to be higher with an old vehicle.

The insurance company will advise which countries still require a green card.

Google Translate app will help if you get really stuck with communication.

A satnav takes the strain out of travel and generally takes you on some routes that you would never have chosen with prior knowledge, variety is the spice of life.

I live in Southern Germany and holiday in Croatia ... on a trip from the U.K. I would dispense with most of France and head straight for Strasbourg, then the Alps around the eastern end of Lake Constance (Bodensee) on the German side (it's cheaper than Switzerland) ... then go through the alps towards Northern Italy, heading in the general direction of Venice via the lakes ... round the corner to Trieste and into Slovenia/Croatia. Plenty of alpine scenery, mountain passes and quaint camp-sites.

Alternative route is through Austria, just as scenic, and Slovenia is beautiful too.

Avoid major cities and in Italy (Milan, Trieste) and don't overnight in service stations - stay in the lakes and mountains.

IMO, if they are 21 then just bung them a wad of cash instead of accompanying them and let them have their adventure - they will be fine.

Country info is here ....

and UK govt. advice here ...

Many thanks for taking the time to reply @DXX and @Oceanis, ill check those links out and forward on.
The T4 is having a big service so thats all in hand.I guess it will say in one of those links about the requirement to carry and spare bulb kit and hi viz for Europe, and anything else....
Cheers guys.;)

You need hi viz for all people travelling, the V5, driving licence, insurance docs, spare bulb kit, warning triangle(s), headlight deflectors, and UK number plates and / or UK sticker. As above check green card requirements and also low emission zones. Also check vignette requirements for motorways etc.

I know a couple of people with T4's, and unless it's been well maintained or had parts replaced recently, at that age they are starting to present problems such as wheel bearing failure, clutch issues and fuel injector system issues.
Wheel bearings seem to need a major stripdown, removing the rusty parts just to get at the bearing seems to take longer than actually changing the bearings, often requiring replacement of other parts that get damaged during removal, clutch issues such as worn out plates or contamination from leaking crankshaft seal needs engine and gearbox out and fuel system parts such as pumps and injectors can be expensive.
I would either overhaul all these beforehand or ensure any breakdown cover will actually cover them otherwise it's likely to be an expensive repair and lots of time off the road if they go wrong abroad.
Some breakdown policies only cover recovery to nearest workshop, and if the value of the vehicle is low, they may not cover recovery back to the UK. Check out the issues the girls on Camper Vibe had with their van in spain https://www.youtube.com/@campervibe
Check cover is actually in place before you go, I've known travelling companions have issues where the company they were 'with' have said they have no record of their policy when they came to request assistance overseas.

Last edited:
I live in Southern Germany and holiday in Croatia ... on a trip from the U.K. I would dispense with most of France and head straight for Strasbourg, then the Alps around the eastern end of Lake Constance (Bodensee) on the German side (it's cheaper than Switzerland) ... then go through the alps towards Northern Italy, heading in the general direction of Venice via the lakes ... round the corner to Trieste and into Slovenia/Croatia. Plenty of alpine scenery, mountain passes and quaint camp-sites.

Alternative route is through Austria, just as scenic, and Slovenia is beautiful too.

Avoid major cities and in Italy (Milan, Trieste) and don't overnight in service stations - stay in the lakes and mountains.

IMO, if they are 21 then just bung them a wad of cash instead of accompanying them and let them have their adventure - they will be fine.

Country info is here ....

and UK govt. advice here ...

What’s the drive like from Calais to Strasbourg ?
Strasbourg is our first stop on our way to Switzerland in July.

We drove to Croatia in the van last year using the France, Germany, Austria and Slovenia route and I posted quite a lot about the journey at the time. I also responded to another member seeking advice here:
For last years trip, I think the reports that I posted start here (at Post 7117) but there might have been a couple before that one:

Last edited:
What’s the drive like from Calais to Strasbourg ?
Strasbourg is our first stop on our way to Switzerland in July.
It's the way I always used to go to get to the in-laws in Sussex ... A26 to Reims, then A4 round Metz to Strasbourg. Boring, pretty empty, and flat, but very easy - as long as you don't mind paying the tolls.

What is the most common form of 'gas for camping' available EU wide?

What are people who use the 3.9 kg size Calor bottles doing in relation to these being discontinued, as my local supplier told me today?

What is the most common form of 'gas for camping' available EU wide?

What are people who use the 3.9 kg size Calor bottles doing in relation to these being discontinued, as my local supplier told me today?
Camping Gaz.

Pricey, but widely available.

No Calor over the water.

Any recommendations for travel insurance for an extended European trip ? ..i.e around 54 days.:cool:

I have used a comparison site and the length of time narrows it down ... its not a huge chunk of money but most of the insurers i've never heard of.

Any recommendations for travel insurance for an extended European trip ? ..i.e around 54 days.:cool:

I have used a comparison site and the length of time narrows it down ... its not a huge chunk of money but most of the insurers i've never heard of.
If your EHIC card has expired you can get a GHIC card.

We’re with Blue insurance underwritten by Zurich. 183 days per year, 60day max for any single trip, winter sports. Healthy 59yr old couple. £65/year.

Reminds me of a situation I had travelling with my lady, just having medical insurance doesn’t always ensure you can use it.
She decides to go shopping for 30 min while I pack the van up, after 30 min doesn’t return, no surprise as runs on ‘rubbertime’. After an hour I go looking in the shops, no sign of her???
Two hours later she turns up at the van not looking too healthy, apparently decided not to go shopping as got distracted by the beach. Slips over, knocked herself out.
Decided to go to hospital as a large lump on her head, had the foresight to get the medical insurance document ready, can’t remember where it is, eventually found it and it’s printed in Russian. WTF.
Went to pub and had a beer to recouperate.

We’re with Staysure but they only cover for up to 50 days for under 70s (35 days over 70) and a total of 183 days in the year.

Last edited:
It's the way I always used to go to get to the in-laws in Sussex ... A26 to Reims, then A4 round Metz to Strasbourg. Boring, pretty empty, and flat, but very easy - as long as you don't mind paying the tolls.
Hi, can I ask where do you stay in Strasbourg? I’m planning an overnight stay and need a hotel with parking or car park near for the T6 Caravelle.
Many thanks

Back