Hi, looking to buy a van to convert

peteaufc

VIP Member
Hi all,

We're a family of 4 (2 of us, and kids at 6 and 4) and just starting out on our VW transporter journey.

Not bought the van yet, but hoping to get a suitable/decent spec empty T6 to fit out ourselves (and with professional help for the bits we can't do).

Hoping to find a relatively recent (2016 on) LWB highline van with not too many miles on the clock (maybe circa 80k)

Our ideal spec (I know we are unlikely to get everything) would be:
Important - LWB, Highline
Desirable - tailgate, single passenger seat in front, 140bhp, Euro 6, alloys/bodykit/spoiler/etc

Not too bothered about colour - we can find a theme to fit.

Aim is to get a van, get pop top fitted professionally, then kit out the rest over the next 6 months or so to be ready to use for a road trip of Europe next summer.

Any suggestions or recommendations of where to look for the van in the first place are welcome.

Good service history, especially if with a DSG box.

When choosing where to compromise focus on things that are hard to change afterwards. A lot of the physical things are doable, it's the integrated electronics that are trickier so if things like cruise control are important to you look out for that

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I figured we want to go highline for the air con and cruise control and imagine they would be hard to retrofit. Likewise, needs to be LWB now for the space.

It's also hard to retrofit SWB to LWB ;)

If you haven't already might be an idea to hire an LWB and have a drive of it. Some folks find the extra length doesn't really bother them but others find that it makes them harder to use in carparks etc.

It's cheaper to find out what works for you hiring a van for the day than just after you've finished your conversion.

Air con is essential. Cruise Control is a relatively cheap oem retrofit.

It's also hard to retrofit SWB to LWB ;)

If you haven't already might be an idea to hire an LWB and have a drive of it. Some folks find the extra length doesn't really bother them but others find that it makes them harder to use in carparks etc.

It's cheaper to find out what works for you hiring a van for the day than just after you've finished your conversion.
For sure, there's no stretching it later! :)

We're really keen for the LWB as there will be the four of us and the plan is to spend 4-5 weeks in Europe over the summer, so we'll take any extra space we can get! I've driven mini-buses, vans, fairly regularly, so happy enough that I'll be OK with it.

Are there any particular things that I should make sure have been done or to watch out for and check, when looking at Transporters that are about 6-8 years old and around 80k-100k miles on the clock?

Is there likely to be any major issue down the line if I go with a T30, rather than T32, when the purpose will be converting to a campervan (usual sort of stuff like pop top, kitchen cabinetry and rock n roll bed) for the four of us, as well as possible our four bikes on the back at times?

For sure, there's no stretching it later! :)

We're really keen for the LWB as there will be the four of us and the plan is to spend 4-5 weeks in Europe over the summer, so we'll take any extra space we can get! I've driven mini-buses, vans, fairly regularly, so happy enough that I'll be OK with it.

Are there any particular things that I should make sure have been done or to watch out for and check, when looking at Transporters that are about 6-8 years old and around 80k-100k miles on the clock?
if it was me, I’d take a carista scanner (about £25) and scan for faults.

Back