Is it a Kombi?

Droneshadow

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Ok, so my van is T6 Highline in Starlight Blue. was originally a standard panel van. It now has windows, carpet floor, 3 rear seats, (original VW 2+1 quick release) plus 3 in the front. The V5 says ‘van with side windows’ and seating capacity 6. My son and I have done this ‘conversion’ and V5 changes)
So, is it now a Kombi? or is that title only for factory spec. I have seen many with this spec referred to as Kombi’s. Is the name now used generally for multi seaters with windows? It’s no biggie but I’m just interested to know.

Kombi is the VW term for it rolling off the factory production line. Its pretty much the same thing as you have done on paper so theoretically yours would be a Kombi and day to day chat it would be easier to call it that! A lot of people refer to them as 'Kombi Conversion' and the original VW one a 'Factory Kombi'
The difference being insurers etc would search your plate and it wont come back as Kombi and you would need to declare the seats as 'modifications'

If you ever came to sell I suppose a lot of people would want to know if it was a 'Factory Kombi' or aftermarket modified as there will still remain a few subtle differences.

Kombi is the VW term for it rolling off the factory production line. Its pretty much the same thing as you have done on paper so theoretically yours would be a Kombi and day to day chat it would be easier to call it that! A lot of people refer to them as 'Kombi Conversion' and the original VW one a 'Factory Kombi'
The difference being insurers etc would search your plate and it wont come back as Kombi and you would need to declare the seats as 'modifications'

If you ever came to sell I suppose a lot of people would want to know if it was a 'Factory Kombi' or aftermarket modified as there will still remain a few subtle differences.
Does this mean if you reclassify from panel van to 'van with side windows' with DVLA you no longer have to declare modifications? I have added seats and windows to my panel van.

Does this mean if you reclassify from panel van to 'van with side windows' with DVLA you no longer have to declare modifications? I have added seats and windows to my panel van.
No, it doesn't mean that. What the DVLA classify the van as has no relevance to an insurer - if it's a PV converted to a Kombi, insurers will want to know the mods applied to it since it left the factory.

No, it doesn't mean that. What the DVLA classify the van as has no relevance to an insurer - if it's a PV converted to a Kombi, insurers will want to know the mods applied to it since it left the factory.
Hi Bav, ok thanks, makes sense. Is there any benefit in changing from panel van from the angle of the van being classed as a commercial vehicle?

You can't change it mate - If it was first registered as category N1 (light goods vehicle) then a light goods vehicle it will forever be.

Back