First Oil Change?

Thanks mmi, I checked the config sticker on the service book and it does have QI8 included amongst all of the codes. So I am still confused as to why it is prompting for an oil change service at reasonably 3700 gentle miles. If I scroll through the settings on the MFD it states Oil Change Service at 6500ml / 15 Days now.
Does anyone know how to confirm what service regime it is actually set to using VCDS or VCP?

Thanks mmi, I checked the config sticker on the service book and it does have QI8 included amongst all of the codes. So I am still confused as to why it is prompting for an oil change service at reasonably 3700 gentle miles. If I scroll through the settings on the MFD it states Oil Change Service at 6500ml / 15 Days now.
Does anyone know how to confirm what service regime it is actually set to using VCDS or VCP?
Mine also has been set to QI8 service schedule so below something to compare with.

The VCDS snapshots below are from adaptation channels in module 17 Instruments - from mine at 24100km and 17 months.
I have not touched any of those values, all are from the factory or VW garage.

The two top blue lines set either the flexible (ESI) or fixed oil service schedule - that's what I think.

The other blue lines set the limits for time (min/max) and distance (min/max) driven. For mine the time is 2 years (744 days) and minimum of 20000 km and maximum of 40000 km - (12500 and 25000 miles respectively).
upload_2018-3-30_20-54-46.png
The gray lines in the middle are just my statistics then – 17000 km and 351 days since oil change.

I had an extra oil change at 7000 km, 351 days ago, so had 744-351 = 393 days to go on dash for oil service, and predicting 10100km remaining which meant that I wasn't reaching 40000km but about 27000km on that oil.​

The prediction can be read from measuring value IDE00935-ESI:Theoretical service interval (was then 27100km).​

The green lines below are for inspection service. Simply either at 40000km or at 2 years whichever comes first.
upload_2018-3-30_20-59-5.png
Gray lines are again my statistics – then driven 24100km and 517 days since new. So the inspection service counter on dash was showing 16000km and 213 days.

For me it worked up to next oil service and inspection service at 2 years according to the values and counters as above - no discrepancies.

Hope this helps.

- - - - -
However, I have been told that there have been recently (this year) cases similar to yours :(– van requesting oil service too early. The VW is working on it, I was told :cautious:.

Last edited:
Thanks again very much for your help.
I have tried to view these parameters but I am not seeing all of the channels that you see. Can you explain how you viewed them. I am OK to get to Control Module 17 Instrument but from there I would like to replicate what you did to produce those screen shots. I could only see any values when going into SRI Reset (which I didn't do the reset).
Have you changed your instrument cluster market to get rid of that annoying little additional speed display in the MFD or is yours still standard?

One other thing I found strange is that when you go into Coding, Long Coding Helper my van was set as

Bit 0-3 = 04 Distance Impulse Number 4 - VW Polo (6R)
Bit 4-7 = 70 Country: Great Britain (GB)

I took a photo of this months ago just before I changed the country to Australia but the top part Bit 0-3 stayed the same even though one of the options available is
Bit 0-3 = 06 Distance Impulse Number 6 - VW Transporter/Multivan (7E/7F).

What is yours set to in that part?
Thanks

Thanks again very much for your help.
I have tried to view these parameters but I am not seeing all of the channels that you see. Can you explain how you viewed them. I am OK to get to Control Module 17 Instrument but from there I would like to replicate what you did to produce those screen shots. I could only see any values when going into SRI Reset (which I didn't do the reset).
Have you changed your instrument cluster market to get rid of that annoying little additional speed display in the MFD or is yours still standard?
From the 17 - Instruments, Adaptation
17-menu_main.jpg

In adaptations I'll get a pull-down menu of 82 adaptations from which the above (blue/gray/green) is just a subset.
17-adaptations_1.jpg

I'm not sure if you are referring to the small alternative speed display (see picture below).
I can get rid of that (in my case mph) display unticking the following in the MFD. This doesn't work for you?
I'm on the metric system, so I haven't changed anything - mine is set to "Rest of the world".
T6_alt_speedo.jpg T6_alt_speedo_mfd.jpg

Last edited:
One other thing I found strange is that when you go into Coding, Long Coding Helper my van was set as

I took a photo of this months ago just before I changed the country to Australia but the top part Bit 0-3 stayed the same even though one of the options available is

Thanks
Here are screenshots of mine as from factory for Scandinavian market.
17-coding_byte_0_0-3.jpg
The setting below obviously relates to using metric system as main speedo and mph as alternative (the small)
17-coding_byte_0_4-7.jpg

Thanks
Now I'm getting slightly off the topic but next time you have a VCDS-session could you please check the following Adv. Measurement Values in 17 - Instruments:

IDE00842, K-number
IDE00845, Wheel circ. [mm]
I would expect to see your values to be IDE00842=21868 and IDE00845=2195 (because yours is coded as "4"). I noticed elsewhere that yours is 204PS, so it probably came from the factory at least with 17" wheels, or even 18" wheels?

Mine is coded as "6". It came from the factory with 16" wheels.

The table below is from mine with all possible values of K-number codings (bits 0-3). I did this by doing the coding and then reading those above mentioned measuring values. Coding "8" was rejected. And, interestingly coding "7" doesn't fit the pattern.

upload_2018-4-1_11-10-50.png

Of course it would be interesting to see what your measurement values are for other K-number coding values, too... but please do not mess up your coding :eek:. No need to turn ignition off between coding change and reading measuring values.

PS. The previous screenshots didn't show car model because I used the experimental data.

Thanks, I will have a look later or tomorrow and get back to you but I am still not sure what you do from the second picture which shows the list of adaptions. Do I double click on one of them or something?
Regarding the little alternative speed display, mine was in kph and I didn't have any option to turn it on or off in the MFD settings until I followed the instructions I found online see VCDS How To - Activate Big Digital Speedo On MFD / DIS – MPH - Advanced In-Car Technologies
My vehicle manual did state that I could change it to mph through some procedure using the clock setting button and reset button but it didn't work.
It was supplied set to GB and VW Polo and I followed the instruction from that link but I am wondering if this has changed something in the service data.

Thanks, I will have a look later or tomorrow and get back to you but I am still not sure what you do from the second picture which shows the list of adaptions. Do I double click on one of them or something?
Yes, just click on a line and it should show what the current value is, and gives you a possibility to enter (or select) a new value.

Regarding the little alternative speed display, mine was in kph and I didn't have any option to turn it on or off in the MFD settings until I followed the instructions I found online see VCDS How To - Activate Big Digital Speedo On MFD / DIS – MPH - Advanced In-Car Technologies
My vehicle manual did state that I could change it to mph through some procedure using the clock setting button and reset button but it didn't work.
It was supplied set to GB and VW Polo and I followed the instruction from that link but I am wondering if this has changed something in the service data.
It seems that country setting probably has some influence (or side effect) on MFD. Anyways, good you sorted that little speed display.

I think you can't change the service data. As I mentioned, up here a few vans had very similar thing - oil service request way too early. It's a new case - so still a mystery.

Hi mmi, I checked my van again with VCDS and those values are IDE00842=22740 and IDE00845=2111. Why were you interested in those values for?

I also noticed that IDE00935-ESI:Theoretical service interval (was then 16400km) yet it wants a service in 8 days. See picture below.
I was thinking of setting it to Rest Of World and Transporter/Multivan like yours is set but my van battery was low so I have put it on charge overnight. Can you envisage any issues with doing changing those settings?.
Best Regards
GE

IMGP2093.JPG

Hi @gembleto ,

Thanks for the measuring values IDE00842=22740 and IDE00845=2111. Those values depend on coding you asked earlier (Bit 0-3 = 04 Distance Impulse Number 4 - VW Polo (6R)) and they are used to set scaling of speedometer. Your values being different from mine confirm my suspicions that even among T6’s the coding values and thus correction table behind (the measuring values) for speedo vary. More details in newborn thread Speedo Adjustment With Vcds So thank you for your contribution :thumbsup:.

- - - -
For your comparison a similar set of measuring values from mine. The conditions at time of recording were somewhat similar to yours now: more than year since new. 351 days since oil change and still 393 days to go, or 10100 km.
upload_2018-4-3_0-15-59.png

It is obvious that your van belongs to those mysterious ones I was referring to earlier above. For some reason oil change timer "IDE00712 ESI: lower limit of service interval" has been set to 365 days – instead of 2 years.

Because your expected service interval "IDE00935 ESI: Theoretical service interval" is “only” 16400 km, it is obvious that also "IDE00702 ESI: lower limit of service interval driving distance" has been set to lower than 20000 km – my guess is that it is set to 15000 km.

However, my theory about the mystery is that when they took a van out of transport/factory mode they simply entered wrong values for service intervals. Or possibly didn’t enter anything and the van just got the default values.

What then supports my theory about “default values” is that I was present at last oil change, and guess what? Resetting the service counter, set the lower values (oranges above) down to 15000 km and 365 days. At the garage they changed the minimum distance using their tools back to 20000 km. Unfortunately nobody then realized that also the time setting was too low (365 days instead of 744 days).

After confirming with VW that the oil change time should be 2 years (and 20000..40000km), I did the change myself with VCDS - changed lower limit back to 744 days. So I can’t think why it wouldn’t work for you, too. Only thing I could imagine that possibly could upset the software would be if you were pass the deadline – but you are not :thumbsup:!

I changed it through Instruments - Adaptation - - -
17_Oil_change_adap_do.jpg
and on the MFD the oil service counter looked like this before and after:
Oil_349_d.jpg Oil_614_d.jpg

Hope this helps..

PS. Why I didn't get 744-365 extra days. The van seems to estimate how many days it takes to drive the remaining kilometers... so eventually both oil service counters (km/days) should hit zero on same day :rolleyes:
Edit: Actually no - after 614 days it would be two years from last oil change.

Last edited:
I was thinking of setting it to Rest Of World and Transporter/Multivan like yours is set but my van battery was low so I have put it on charge overnight. Can you envisage any issues with doing changing those settings?.
I don't think these settings have any effect on your service counter. My guess is that setting it to "Bit 0-3 = 06 Distance Impulse Number 6 - VW Transporter/Multivan (7E/7F)" would just change your speedo to read about 2% less what it does now - if the resulting IDE00842 and IDE00845 are the same as in my table.

If you do the setting please post those two values here. Actually I created my table by going through all the setting and reading the measurement values (IDE00842 and IDE00845 ) for each setting - and then verified the speedo readings on the road (for a few settings).

The other setting "Rest of the world" would bring your van's MFD to mostly metric system (big speedo in km/h, small in mph) but units for consumptions, distance, temperature would still be selectable. I would expect that the actual speedometer would remain the same because mph and km/h scales seems to be "identical" - just fixed symbols on plate.

If interested to make a full recording of all adaptation channels and measuring values of module 17-Instruments (or any module), the VCDS does it like this:
VCDS_main.JPG
Controller.JPG
17_channel_map_do.jpg
Fill as above and hit "Go". Depending on module takes a few seconds, or minutes (engine!)

As a result you will get two files with extension .CSV in directory C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\ (or something alike):

adpmap-17-7E0-920-870-L.CSV - All adaptation channels of the module

blockmap-17-7E0-920-870-L.CSV - All measurement values of the module​

The files have one channel/measurement value per line, fields separated by commas:
IDE00510,ESI: distance driven from inspection,17000, km,
IDE00511,ESI: time from inspection,351, d,
IDE00515,ESI: oil quality,good oil quality, ,

For easier reviewing the files are can be opened (for example) with Microsoft Excel.

I think it is good idea to rename the files (for example add a date to file name) because next time new recording will be appended to existing one.

Actually my “snapshots” earlier were from these files. I have been doing full recordings of most modules before and after having it serviced by VW :whistle:.

mmi you are a star. You have been a great help. I changed those two parameters and it looks better now. One slightly strange thing is that Oil Change days is more than Inspection days but it might settle down. the first photo was taken on the 27/03/18 and last photo today.
I am still going to do an oil change now.
Thanks very much.

IMGP2004.JPG

IMGP2097a.jpg

Good to hear you sorted it :thumbsup:. And yes, the day counters run independently. If you look the blue/green/gray table it shows that for oil change the counter starts at 744 days and for inspection at 730 days. So that would show up as difference of 14 days if both counters were reset on same day.

Your picture (VCDS) shows that oil change counter was reset 376 days ago but inspection counter probably already 400 days ago (730-330). Also your picture shows that oil change counter was reset at odometer 50km (6050-6000). :unsure:

I also did my first oil change early - driven about 7000 km (4000 miles). Then the next ones as scheduled.

I've read the thread & I'm not sure if I have the same problem. The van is demanding an "Inspection now" which it ain't going to get. The oil service is still 12 months away. I've had it hooked up to VCDS & I can't find an option just to reset the Inspection without also resetting the oil service, which I don't want to do. So the question is:- How do I get rid of the "Inspection Now" message, without screwing up the oil service interval?
Any help appreciated.

I've read the thread & I'm not sure if I have the same problem. The van is demanding an "Inspection now" which it ain't going to get. The oil service is still 12 months away. I've had it hooked up to VCDS & I can't find an option just to reset the Inspection without also resetting the oil service, which I don't want to do. So the question is:- How do I get rid of the "Inspection Now" message, without screwing up the oil service interval?
Any help appreciated.

Have you read this thread?

Having said that, it doesn’t actually have a solution and any potential solution might punt you on to one year fixed servicing! If you do puzzle it out though, let us know!

Has anyone ever supplied their own oil when taking it for a service at a dealer?
I used to do this year's ago with a BMW because I could buy correct spec oil cheaper online than the dealer would charge me.

i do im running my van on Castrol Edge with titanium hope it save the camshafts in the long run i get it changed yearly with the MOT whether it needs it or not £ 50 - 8 ltrs on Amazon i then get the spare ltr for topping up if needed

Any help appreciated.
Please post adaptation map and the blockmap -files from module 17 (Instruments)
How to - a few posts up --> https://www.t6forum.com/threads/first-oil-change.1091/post-101789

My van is 1 year old and only 3700 miles but it is prompting me for the first oil change service so I just got a quote from Listers Coventry for the first oil change service and they quoted me over £200. For about 1/2h labour and £40 in oil, filter and sump plug.
That is completely ridiculous.
Buy a genuine filter and sump plug with the correct oil and change it yourself if you have the skills and equipment. Dont re-set the service indicator and wait until it actually needs the first service.

Back