First Oil Change?

lough90

Maintenance Supervisor - oil & gas
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I was in my local dealer and inquired if they could change my oil and filter. I’m a great believer in oil changes, I know I will have people saying oils are now good for 1000’s of miles now which I agree , it’s the stuff that now in my oil from the first 5000 miles I want out.

The service guy looked on his computer and indicated that all they could do was perform a full first service. I don’t want to go down this route as he was unsure if it would then have a knock effect to all other services.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, I feel I will just buy the genuine oil and filters etc and change the oil myself.

My van is 1 year old and only 3700 miles but it is prompting me for the first oil change service so I just got a quote from Listers Coventry for the first oil change service and they quoted me over £200. For about 1/2h labour and £40 in oil, filter and sump plug.
That is completely ridiculous.

@lough90 I would just do it myself if I were you.

@gembleto I've got mine booked into Inchcape in Cheltenham for its first service in 2 weeks, got 22200 miles on the clock and they are charging me £174 all in. Not much difference to your quote and annoying for what it is but need to keep the warranty up which is where they get you should something go pear shaped.

I'm just thinking along exactly the same lines. I just want to do an oil service, approx 5k miles and not reset the service indicator so it still gets the VW service when the time comes. Anyone know where you can buy a servicer kit on line?

@lough90 I would just do it myself if I were you.

@gembleto I've got mine booked into Inchcape in Cheltenham for its first service in 2 weeks, got 22200 miles on the clock and they are charging me £174 all in. Not much difference to your quote and annoying for what it is but need to keep the warranty up which is where they get you should something go pear shaped.
Did you shop around the local VW garages for prices @JimVee .

I'm just thinking along exactly the same lines. I just want to do an oil service, approx 5k miles and not reset the service indicator so it still gets the VW service when the time comes. Anyone know where you can buy a servicer kit on line?

Have a look in the forum shop, ;);)

Did you shop around the local VW garages for prices @JimVee .

Hi Russ, no mate. I was going to pop into Listers down the road by Evesham but to be fair Cheltenham have always been pretty good for me on bits and bobs so thought I would stay with them.

Hi Russ, no mate. I was going to pop into Listers down the road by Evesham but to be fair Cheltenham have always been pretty good for me on bits and bobs so thought I would stay with them.
Hi Jim, Ok cheers, just wondered if there is any difference in prices. I did also wonder if Evesham would service a van, must give them a call.
Will probably give Cheltenham a go then if they've been good to you.

My van is 1 year old and only 3700 miles but it is prompting me for the first oil change service so I just got a quote from Listers Coventry for the first oil change service and they quoted me over £200. For about 1/2h labour and £40 in oil, filter and sump plug.
That is completely ridiculous.
Service indicator is programmed at factory/dealer, mine prompted for service after 12 months as it was programmed for fixed service intervals so took it to dealer and they changed it to 2 year/20000 mile and the prompt went away for 12 months

You can go to a good garage ( reputable ) and have them do a service as long as they use genuine VW oil and filters and the warranty is not affected and they stamp the service book .

Hi Jim, Ok cheers, just wondered if there is any difference in prices. I did also wonder if Evesham would service a van, must give them a call.
Will probably give Cheltenham a go then if they've been good to you.

Cheltenham have looked after me and will let you know about the service which is on 14 Apr. I had the same issue as Pauly but they just reset it.

Has anyone ever supplied their own oil when taking it for a service at a dealer?
I used to do this year's ago with a BMW because I could buy correct spec oil cheaper online than the dealer would charge me.

...van is remapped and VW know this. They still carried out warranty work without question...

That's good; I asked what would void the warranty as far as mods went when I picked mine up and he said remap and hacking into the wiring. Seems to depend which dealer you use!

Has anyone ever supplied their own oil when taking it for a service at a dealer?
I used to do this year's ago with a BMW because I could buy correct spec oil cheaper online than the dealer would charge me.
not serviced the van yet but do this with my golf with no problems. Oil is fraction of the price on ebay. Search for quantum vw507, plenty on there and ironically the VW garages seem to sell it cheapest on there

not serviced the van yet but do this with my golf with no problems. Oil is fraction of the price on ebay. Search for quantum vw507, plenty on there and ironically the VW garages seem to sell it cheapest on there
Great cheers, I used to save about £40-£50 on what BMW wanted to charge so will be interested on the saving at VW.

I have just wondered if my service has come up earlier than I expected because it has reverted to Time/Distance service regime after I changed the Instrument cluster to Australian so that I could get rid of that annoying kph display in the MFD and also get the large speed display if needed.
I emailed Listers Coventry yesterday about the cost they quoted me for an oil change service (over £200 + vat) and the service manager came back to me and has now quoted £140+ vat and will also give a 10% discount. I am OK with that but he questioned the fact that my MFD was prompting me in days to oil change service and he said it should be miles to oil change service.
Has anyone got any knowledge on changing the service regime with VCDS or if necessary VCP beck to Flexible/Variable but keep it as an Australian instrument pack for the benefits explained above?
Best Regards

I have just wondered if my service has come up earlier than I expected because it has reverted to Time/Distance service regime after I changed the Instrument cluster to Australian so that I could get rid of that annoying kph display in the MFD and also get the large speed display if needed.
I emailed Listers Coventry yesterday about the cost they quoted me for an oil change service (over £200 + vat) and the service manager came back to me and has now quoted £140+ vat and will also give a 10% discount. I am OK with that but he questioned the fact that my MFD was prompting me in days to oil change service and he said it should be miles to oil change service.
Has anyone got any knowledge on changing the service regime with VCDS or if necessary VCP beck to Flexible/Variable but keep it as an Australian instrument pack for the benefits explained above?
Best Regards
Strange… I find it difficult to believe that any changes made to display settings in Instrument cluster would change service interval settings.

Have you checked what service program/interval you have on your configuration sticker (below dash, close to where the hood opener is)? Somewhere on the sticker there is a code either QI1, QI2,…, or QI8.

QI6 or QI8 indicate flexible oil service, up to 25000 miles (40000 km) or 2 years, whichever comes first. All the others QI1...QI5, QI7 are for oil service with fixed kilometers (5000…20000km) or 1 year.

The service program settings are under adaptations in module 17 Instruments. But I haven’t verified if those can be altered (with/without security code).

Last edited:
Back