First Brake of the Day.....frost?

Pau1GTI

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Evening guys,

The last 3 mornings I've noticed when I come out my drive to the first junction I've almost no brakes. Never an issue as I'm driving so slow but I really have to press down hard to get the van to stop. After that its fine, as normal for the rest of the day.

It feels like there is no bite basically..

We have alot of standing snow and it's super cold...could the calipers be frozen or the pads and discs. I've never felt anything like it.

Van is a DSG on 30k.

Any ideas at all?

Cheers
Paul

I doubt calipers or pads could freeze to the point that even a light press wouldn't be able to over come the ice, brake fluid can and will over time absorb water, maybe a small amount has ended up in the lines to the calipers? Could be worth a quick bleed just to be sure? Obviously this is just a theory, never had anything like this myself or heard of it and might be putting two and two together and getting five!

Thanks Gavinda. Yeah it's very odd and was also a bit puzzled.

Its due in for an inspection in a few weeks so might get them to bleed the brakes.

Evening guys,

The last 3 mornings I've noticed when I come out my drive to the first junction I've almost no brakes. Never an issue as I'm driving so slow but I really have to press down hard to get the van to stop. After that its fine, as normal for the rest of the day.

It feels like there is no bite basically..

We have alot of standing snow and it's super cold...could the calipers be frozen or the pads and discs. I've never felt anything like it.

Van is a DSG on 30k.

Any ideas at all?

Cheers
Paul
My first thought would be black ice and ABS caused the extended stopping distance.

Would be worth driving a different route to rule out potential black ice as @DXX mentioned. If the problem persists I would also suggest moisture in your brake fluid which is compressable unlike brake fluid which would account for the soft pedal.
I would certainly get your brakes bled sooner rather than later. Safety first @Pau1GTI

Last edited:
My first thought would be black ice and ABS caused the extended stopping distance.
Would be worth driving a different t route to rule out potential black ice as @DXX mentioned. If the problem persists I would also suggest moisture in your brake fluid which is comparable unlike brake fluid which would account for the soft pedal.
I would certainly get your brakes bled sooner rather than later. Safety first @Pau1GTI

Thanks Guys, I initially thought the same but this morning there was no abs shudder and I was convinced there was traction but just no bite so thinking your suggestion of water in the brake likes is most likely. Thanks for the input

My brakes are always dull on the first drive on a cold day. (Heavy van)

Takes a few Road junction stops to get some heat in them before they start to bite properly.

Not so bad in summer, definitely more pronounced on a cold winters morning.

Thats just normal for me...

Its worth having your brakes checked though, for pad thickness, discs and possible oil leak...... a visual inspection should do it.

My brakes are always dull on the first drive on a cold day. (Heavy van)

Takes a few Road junction stops to get some heat in them before they start to bite properly.

Not so bad in summer, definitely more pronounced on a cold winters morning.

Interesting thanks. Dull is probably the best way I'd describe them. They are slowing it down but much much slower

Are you sure you haven’t pissed a neighbour off, somebody spraying your brake discs with WD40?

The opposite is normally the case.

Like most other makes, VW discs suffer from surface rust forming even just over one night, (hence why low mileage discs can need sometimes replacement as they have corroded whilst parked). You can often hear and feel
the brakes unsticking as you move away for the first time.

Unless your problem is caused by black ice/frost, which to be frank you should be able to see for yourself (?), you definitely needyour brakes professionally checked.

I've experienced the same a couple of times, always when very cold and first time I came to use the brakes, but when it happened I also noticed that the pedal is hard. Never been a problem any other time & fine after first 'stop', will be getting mine checked asap. Also due a service (coincidentally(?) they have told me the fluid is due for replacement).

I've experienced the same a couple of times, always when very cold and first time I came to use the brakes, but when it happened I also noticed that the pedal is hard. Never been a problem any other time & fine after first 'stop', will be getting mine checked asap. Also due a service (coincidentally(?) they have told me the fluid is due for replacement).

Yup exactly the same as mine.

Thanks everyone. Vans booked in for an inspection ASAP

Paul

Are you sure you haven’t pissed a neighbour off, somebody spraying your brake discs with WD40?
Must have really pissed his neighbour off to get that sort of treatment. What you been up to @Pau1GTI :whistle:

You can't pump the pedal and get a bit more feel?
Just thinking that the age of the brake fluid might be more relevant than the vehicle mileage?

You can't pump the pedal and get a bit more feel?
Just thinking that the age of the brake fluid might be more relevant than the vehicle mileage?

It only happens the first brake of the day so I've not had much of a chance to try things as its normal after that. The pedal is harder if anything....so not going to the floor. Did it again this morning. Very odd

Sounds like cold brakes still....

You push the brakes like normal, to stop.

But you don't get the normal result.

So you push them harder.....and get a slightly better result.

A few stops later the brakes are back to normal...

Thats normal for me on cold days..... Well they get normal by the forth road stop..

In fact I even started draging the brakes or doing a few dummy brakes within the first few Road stops to get some heat in the pads and disks.

Kinda just expect on cold days.

Haha ....testing the track bikes quick shifter in the garage might of just done it perhaps....what you think?
Yeah that may have done it for sure. Check your brake lines haven’t been snipped lol.

Sounds like cold brakes still....

You push the brakes like normal, to stop.

But you don't get the normal result.

So you push them harder.....and get a slightly better result.

A few stops later the brakes are back to normal...

Thats normal for me on cold days..... Well they get normal by the forth road stop..

In fact I even started draging the brakes or doing a few dummy brakes within the first few Road stops to get some heat in the pads and disks.

Kinda just expect on cold days.

Yeah don't disagree with that at all, its only this winter I've noticed it being so obvious so perhaps with the pads and discs being that bit more worn perhaps

I'm still running OEM pads and disks as its all been warranty work so far.

But I have got a set of Brembo OEM patent parts to go on next. (50% off on black Friday)

Normally I used to fit Pagid pads and disks from Euro or CPFL.

I doubt there will be much difference between brands.

Back