How do I do it?

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Evening all, having spoken with @CRS Performance last week, I pressed the button on the Koni Special active dampers and springs. They arrived the nect day but haveng had the chance to fit then until now.

As my local garage / mechanic I'm was too busy and can't fit me, I decided to tackle the job, being a competent DIY mechanic. I've managed to do everything, except I can't get the drive shaft in properly. I have take out all the relevant bolts but didn't take off the ball joint bolt.

To make my life easier, is it best to take this off? I've watched several videos including the autodoc one, which is really informative, but they didn't bother separating the ball joint arm. Neither have taken off the discs and pads.

What's the easiest folks as I am stumped at the moment, so have had to call it a day. Sorry its a long post, but wanted to give some context. Thanks.

Give Steve a bell - he’s happy to give advice over the phone
To be fair, I've messaged him a few times today, but didn't want to trouble him too much ss he's so busy.

Understandable - but he also cares about a job getting done right (especially on kit he supplies!)

I had mine apart a few months back to change the top mounts, bottom ball joints and fit poly bushes, you'll definitely want to take the bottom ball joint out, there's no point struggling. While you're down there I'd strongly consider changing the ball joint, top mount and drop links, go for some poly bushes as well and the van will be like brand new.

I had mine apart a few months back to change the top mounts, bottom ball joints and fit poly bushes, you'll definitely want to take the bottom ball joint out, there's no point struggling. While you're down there I'd strongly consider changing the ball joint, top mount and drop links, go for some poly bushes as well and the van will be like brand new.
Yep, all changed, but I for some reason I get the hub back onto the ball joint and then secure the drive shaft. So I'm contemplating taken the steering rod end loose as well.

If you're having trouble with the drive shaft check it's not popped apart at the inner CV joint it happened to mine and was a bit of a bugger to get back together, ended up taking the shaft out from the gear box to pop it back in.

To be fair, I've messaged him a few times today, but didn't want to trouble him too much ss he's so busy.
Hi There . apologies i am not sure i have the messages , we they on Whats app , Text or on here ??
just call 07469785932 its no trouble if i miss the call ill call back

After taking my time over the last 2 weeks to install the Koni Active dampers and Evo technique springs by @CRS Performance. I am so chuffed with the difference.

I swapped out my stance coilovers, which to be fair had lasted 3 years and had covered a decent amount of mileage and towing a caravan at times, but with 2 broken springs in fairly quick succession. I tool the opportunity to treat myself.

So, having installed everything on my driveway, inbetween work commitments, it has all been done. The ride is soooo different and more comfortable. I did research other coilovers and was leaning towards the STX ones, but decided to go back to a more original method of suspension. The ride of the Konis is super smooth, but this is my own opinion as I certainly respect what other set ups other owners on here have and that suspension is subjective and down to personal choice.

Having never done such a big job before, I am grateful to others on here for previous threads and also suggestions earlier in this thread too and to Steve @CRS Performance who was willing to reply to my whatsapps and phone calls. So thank you. I must admit, I am pretty chuffed with myself, even though I had to take my time and work things out.

If I can ask one more question though, when it comes to the lower nut and bolts for the rear suspension, do the nut and bolt have to go in a certain way and do both sides have to match in tines of facing the same way too. Apologies if this is a stupid question..

After taking my time over the last 2 weeks to install the Koni Active dampers and Evo technique springs by @CRS Performance. I am so chuffed with the difference.

I swapped out my stance coilovers, which to be fair had lasted 3 years and had covered a decent amount of mileage and towing a caravan at times, but with 2 broken springs in fairly quick succession. I tool the opportunity to treat myself.

So, having installed everything on my driveway, inbetween work commitments, it has all been done. The ride is soooo different and more comfortable. I did research other coilovers and was leaning towards the STX ones, but decided to go back to a more original method of suspension. The ride of the Konis is super smooth, but this is my own opinion as I certainly respect what other set ups other owners on here have and that suspension is subjective and down to personal choice.

Having never done such a big job before, I am grateful to others on here for previous threads and also suggestions earlier in this thread too and to Steve @CRS Performance who was willing to reply to my whatsapps and phone calls. So thank you. I must admit, I am pretty chuffed with myself, even though I had to take my time and work things out.

If I can ask one more question though, when it comes to the lower nut and bolts for the rear suspension, do the nut and bolt have to go in a certain way and do both sides have to match in tines of facing the same way too. Apologies if this is a stupid question..
Well done , it is indeed very rewarding to do something like this and feel a massive improvement afterwards . Unlike changing oil which doesn't improve or
change anything ha ha

4 years ago when i started to promote these shocks to transporter owners i felt the resistance from a market that was being flooded with inferior coil over kits and even poor quality/design expensive kits . BUT after selling over 4000 of these shocks in to transporter vans we are sure that it is a very viable and satisfactory option . Arguably the best solution !!
Initially we were limited with the lowering capability but once we got KONI to develop the "sport short" range for us here in uk it opened up the market to clients wanting more aggressive drops with out the need for coil overs . Coupling these shocks to our extensive EVO TECHNIK range of springs we are getting brilliant results

As customers already know we have very successfully supplied a few different coil over kits for the clients wanting bigger drops and this wont change .

We are developing new kits for a leading transporter company here in UK and this will soon be available. Exciting times .

Thanks cy294

Happy New Year all. Having had the Konis for a few weeks now. I am super chuffed with them. But I still get the odd noise when going over speed bumps.

Having fitted the shocks and springs, double checked and tightened everything that needs tightening. I wanted to ask if it was normal to hear the odd sound when you go over some bumps such as a speed bump (not very fast).

I can hear the odd creak from the rear springs but when it comes to the front, I can hear the odd knock if perhaps I've not slowed down enough to go over a bump and just wondered if that was the shocks just doing there thing or are they supposed to be completely silent when going over bumps?

Everything has been tightened to correct torque specs, double checked and I had new top mounts and drop links as well.

So just wondering if when going over bumps, it should be completely silent? I have messaged @crsand hoping to get in on Friday, unless what I am hearing is supposed to happen.

It doesn't happen all the time, except like insane when I haven't slowed down enough for a bump. Am I just being to picky and finicky?

Thanks all.

Happy New Year all. Having had the Konis for a few weeks now. I am super chuffed with them. But I still get the odd noise when going over speed bumps.

Having fitted the shocks and springs, double checked and tightened everything that needs tightening. I wanted to ask if it was normal to hear the odd sound when you go over some bumps such as a speed bump (not very fast).

I can hear the odd creak from the rear springs but when it comes to the front, I can hear the odd knock if perhaps I've not slowed down enough to go over a bump and just wondered if that was the shocks just doing there thing or are they supposed to be completely silent when going over bumps?

Everything has been tightened to correct torque specs, double checked and I had new top mounts and drop links as well.

So just wondering if when going over bumps, it should be completely silent? I have messaged @crsand hoping to get in on Friday, unless what I am hearing is supposed to happen.

It doesn't happen all the time, except like insane when I haven't slowed down enough for a bump. Am I just being to picky and finicky?

Thanks all.
Hi There , Thanks for calling to straighten up your concerns , after chatting to you i am sure

what you are experiencing on bad bumps and speed humps is the suspension bottoming on to the bump stops . Its normal !

they are there to protect the shocks from bottoming out which would be a disaster actually . Bump stops must always be used and should never be omitted in the quest for extra low stance .

Also glad to hear you like how these shocks ride , they transform the ride when used correctly .

Try to slow down for bumps and pot holes in lowered vans , we have just replace 2 wheels on a brand New T6.1 camper today after client hit a huge pot hole ( standard height )

Back