finding a cheap awning

Angieg

Hi guys !

Ok newbie here - so be kind lol ….so got a t6.1 Kombi - finished soundproofing ..fitting Ovano switch… electrics blah blah ready to go … but not quite yet as we want to get a Fiamma (maybe with a privacy room) but god it’s expensive ! Been looking for used ones but to no avail - we would love an awning but are there any other alternatives?! we have dredged YouTube and I’m sick to death of looking at awnings now haha. We want something nice and quick to assemble ! To be fair I like the side awnings but think they look kinda chunky stuck on the side of your van !

Any ideas or anyone got one and thinks we won’t need it or pros and cons please ?

#Moneypit !

Thank you x but we wanted something attached to be fair and really quick to put up maybe some sort of rail … is it a remo rail or a multi rail ?

The awning game begins ….
Best to get two
A big F O one that u can use if you park anywhere for a week, and a lightweight really easy little one for overnights and weekends like the Quest or a simple decathlon tent.

Top tip
Never try to roll up your massive Galli 2 awning when you have left a broom inside it4D3BF7FE-D82E-4EDC-9BBB-06FAB4344284.jpegA0D8DE58-E6F2-4971-BF96-E8591993B065.jpeg

thanks for the tip with the broom ! Ok so
basically a tent for longer stays and a sun canopy type of thing for shorter stays …. Quite a good idea actually ! we were thinking Fiamma with privacy room but not paying over a grand for that we’ve paid out enough as it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Has anyone seen the stitches and steel canopy one ? Think we still babe to drill holes in the van for the rail which I hate the thought of !!

I’ve also gone different awnings to suit different trips.

Longer campsite stays ie. A week or two - Vango Cove II Air Low driveaway awning - Cove II Air Low - it’s quick to put up and after a wee bit of practice easy to attach / detach to the rail. We chose it as it faces forward rather than to the side and is pretty compact compared to some.

For weekend trips - Fiamma wind out awning plus a Jormax windbreak to provide some additional shelter / privacy space and a pen for the dog. We don’t use the Vango driveaway for shorter trips as we can’t be bothered putting it up just for a couple of nights. We didn’t buy the Fiamma privacy room for the same reason, seems a faff to have to uninstall the side and front panels before winding in the awning to drive somewhere. Our thinking is that with this approach we just wind in the Fiamma awning and go. At least that’s the theory, we only acquired the Jormax windbreaks a couple of weeks ago and will be testing the theory out next weekend!

Has anyone seen the stitches and steel canopy one ? Think we still babe to drill holes in the van for the rail which I hate the thought of !!

If you have a pop top check out this which avoid drilling holes into the van.

I have the stiches and steel one and haven't used it yet but looks good.

As for privacy rooms, if you go on ‘motorhomefun’ forum and enter ‘safari room’ you can learn new swear words!
They are very heavy , fiddly and not as easy to use as a driveaway or stand alone tent.
Plenty of second hand ones come up but that tells you something.
Good hunting

My attitude to using the driveway awning is the same as a lot of others (inc. @interbear above). If we are away for more than a few days, the Driveway goes up but if it's only up to, say, 4 nights we usually stick with our Kiravans Railsail which is a very versatile and top notch bit of kit. Our driveway is the ubiquitous Vango Kela airbeam.

In the loft of my garage I have a Fiamma “in a bag” that has to be unrolled rather than wound out with a handle. Easily removed from the van and stored. Perfectly safe to drive with it attached. It doesn’t get any use as I have a California with a wind out awning attached permanently!!!

As others have said, I find having two options useful. I use a Kiravans Railsal for one or two nights and a Kyham quick erect Tourer Lite drive away awning for any longer. The Kyham really is quick and easy to erect (once you have the knack - I practiced in the privacy of my garden before using it for real).

As others have said, I find having two options useful. I use a Kiravans Railsal for one or two nights and a Kyham quick erect Tourer Lite drive away awning for any longer. The Kyham really is quick and easy to erect (once you have the knack - I practiced in the privacy of my garden before using it for real).

i'm leaving this for you...
;)

Longer campsite stays ie. A week or two - Vango Cove II Air Low driveaway awning - Cove II Air Low - it’s quick to put up and after a wee bit of practice easy to attach / detach to the rail. We chose it as it faces forward rather than to the side and is pretty compact compared to some.

For weekend trips - Fiamma wind out awning plus a Jormax windbreak to provide some additional shelter / privacy space and a pen for the dog. We don’t use the Vango driveaway for shorter trips as we can’t be bothered putting it up just for a couple of nights. We didn’t buy the Fiamma privacy room for the same reason, seems a faff to have to uninstall the side and front panels before winding in the awning to drive somewhere. Our thinking is that with this approach we just wind in the Fiamma awning and go. At least that’s the theory, we only acquired the Jormax windbreaks a couple of weeks ago and will be testing the theory out next weekend!

Thanks that’s prob a good idea ! The privacy room does seem a faff and putting all those panels up if it’s pouring down won’t be fun … thinking get Fiamma and just a small tent to get changed in if soaking from rain lol !! The windbreakers are a good idea too thanks !

Yes two options good idea ! I’ll have a look at those makes thanks !

If you have a pop top check out this which avoid drilling holes into the van.

I have the stiches and steel one and haven't used it yet but looks good.
Not got a pop top ….. yet ! Lol but thinking Fiamma then second tent x

As for privacy rooms, if you go on ‘motorhomefun’ forum and enter ‘safari room’ you can learn new swear words!
They are very heavy , fiddly and not as easy to use as a driveaway or stand alone tent.
Plenty of second hand ones come up but that tells you something.
Good hunting
Lol !! I shall head straight to that that site now!! Yes good observation ! And they still aren’t cheap second hand ..

Back