Hidden awning rail under Pop-Top

Mike Dean

Aviation
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All,

Does anyone have a hidden awning rail, the channel type with their poptop?
I don't want the eyesore on the exterior of the van.

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, perfect, looks like a standard rail, maybe cut out on the pop mounting points?

Thanks
Mike
Depends how much you need to cut out I guess. I would think if there are two rail mounting screws between each cut out it would be strong enough.
@Niknak might be able to help on that.

I don't have any remaining fittings after the scissor hinge so would have to installed a new lug to screw into.

Last edited:
A number of people have asked about this. I think you could easily fit the rail under the scissor hinge but on mine I was concerned about the need to adjust the pop top if it changed the hinge height, so I notched mine. I had to cut a notch around the strut mount and a bigger one around the scissor hinge (taking away all the horizontal material), using a hacksaw and angle grinder. Mine is an LWB so I had three threaded lugs at the front to screw into and a few inches of material at the back behind the scissor hinge with no threaded lug, so I bonded that part to the roof. Fits perfectly under the roof, cheap and totally solid.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

A number of people have asked about this. I think you could easily fit the rail under the scissor hinge but on mine I was concerned about the need to adjust the pop top if it changed the hinge height, so I notched mine. I had to cut a notch around the strut mount and a bigger one around the scissor hinge (taking away all the horizontal material), using a hacksaw and angle grinder. Mine is an LWB so I had three threaded lugs at the front to screw into and a few inches of material at the back behind the scissor hinge with no threaded lug, so I bonded that part to the roof. Fits perfectly under the roof, cheap and totally solid.

View attachment 119027

View attachment 119028

View attachment 119029
Could you snap a picture from the back to front to see just how much you have without a bolt and i presume a nice amount of sticky! This looks perfect for me. Where is this rail from please too?

Could you snap a picture from the back to front to see just how much you have without a bolt and i presume a nice amount of sticky! This looks perfect for me. Where is this rail from please too?
Mine is this one from Funky Leisure and this is what it looks like from the rear:

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Looks like I could do it;

• two fittings upfront
  • removal around lift strut
  • one fitting before hinge
  • removal around hinge
  • made fitting or sticking behind hinge
Only one way to find out!

IMG_8655.JPEG

IMG_8656.JPEG

IMG_8658.JPEG

@Mike Dean be very careful, I released the two bolts on my Reimo scissor hinge with the roof elevated, unleashed some forces that I wasn’t expecting!
No fun when you are on a step ladder by yourself.
I would recommend lowering the roof as far as possible but still keeping access to the scissor hinge bolts.
You should be able to support the roof inside with some chocks.
Normally there is some slotted adjustment on the hinge plate so take a reference measurement before you start.
Put some thick tape around the area to prevent scratching the paint.
Good luck!!!

@Mike Dean be very careful, I released the two bolts on my Reimo scissor hinge with the roof elevated, unleashed some forces that I wasn’t expecting!
No fun when you are on a step ladder by yourself.
I would recommend lowering the roof as far as possible but still keeping access to the scissor hinge bolts.
You should be able to support the roof inside with some chocks.
Normally there is some slotted adjustment on the hinge plate so take a reference measurement before you start.
Put some thick tape around the area to prevent scratching the paint.
Good luck!!!
I’m not going to touch the hinge, I’m going to cut the rail around it.

Hi guys. Hoping to do this myself. I have a skyline roof. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the rail will fit under my particular roof design? I'm happy with cutting the rail to fit.

Thanks for this post, Mike. Really helpful. How did you fit the additional M6 bolt at the rear?

Yes i did, i made a small drilled hole, filled with silicone and used an OEM roof bolt to its all matched up.

Back