Figure 8 awning kit ! Can this let in rain

Angieg

Hi all !

Bought a cayman air awning …bearing in mind first time we have put it up and it’s bloody windy !!! There are just a few little things I have found annoying already!

Obvs it’s not a full on tent … but all the sides are flapping around at the bottom, you’d think there was some Velcro alternative to stop gusts of wind coming in?

Also what’s with the cross air beams they look like one is bowing and we have pumped enough air in !

Our awning kit comes in 3 pieces now how on earth is that gonna stop rain coming in ? You can see the gaps on the vamoose rail… and if it’s windy they kinda move … not making it very water tight for the tunnel (I know it will never be water tight but you get me)….

Anyway I’m really moaning lol and I’m in that mood !!! Any tips ?

What are we doing wrong ?

post some pics of the setup and how you have it fitted,

we may be able to offer some advice or tips.

You need VIP membership to sell your 'only used once' awning :think smile bounce:
Haha I best join then cos it won’t be long !!! Lol

Mine leaked as well when the figures of 8 moved, I have bought some clamps off eBay to hopefully stop it next time we use it Original Keder figure 8 lock blocks x2. For 6 or 4mm x 6mm Driveaway Awning kit. | eBay
Thank you :)

post some pics of the setup and how you have it fitted,

we may be able to offer some advice or tips.
Brilliant will do later today thank you :)

Mine leaked as well when the figures of 8 moved, I have bought some clamps off eBay to hopefully stop it next time we use it Original Keder figure 8 lock blocks x2. For 6 or 4mm x 6mm Driveaway Awning kit. | eBay
Thank you ;) …… I’m guessing it comes in 3 strips for ease of packing ? Or can you get one continuous strip? X

Thank you ;) …… I’m guessing it comes in 3 strips for ease of packing ? Or can you get one continuous strip? X
Yes probably mine was in 4 pieces each about 2 foot long and the Kador strip folded up in a small tent like bag. Don’t know if you can get it in one length

There's a few on here (including me) who have bought a single long piece of Figure8 - the real trick is to find a firm local to you or one who won't want to charge you £30 to ship a £13 bit of plastic but it solves all the leaking issues that you describe. The only other thing is that you've got to find somewhere to store it - my solution is that it slides into the back by the bed and in front of the furniture coming to a rest behind the drivers seat but I think others put in on the bed board under the pop top. As to your other problems, might I suggest that you practise putting it up in the garden (yours or someone else). Personally, I've had hours of fun sitting in a campsite with a cuppa or a beer watching people trying to put up a tent when they've obviously not done it before. I've also felt quite sorry for them when they've done a rubbish job off putting it up and there's a storm overnight resulting in the tent collapsing around them.

PS. I got my long Figure 8 from a firm called Camper Interiors - IIRC, it was £12 with £12.50 P&P.

An awning isn’t a tent, I wouldn’t have too high expectation for an overpriced, flexible, flappy appendage.
In the tent world there is an even greater range of dross which doesn’t perform.
Even the best geodesic extreme condition tents flex otherwise they would break.

I've had hours of fun sitting in a campsite with a cuppa or a beer watching people trying to put up a tent when they've obviously not done it before.
Tis true! Whilst hotels provide evening entertainment in the form of pro/semi-pro acts, on a campsite that function is fulfilled by newbies. :think smile bounce:

Hi all !

Bought a cayman air awning …bearing in mind first time we have put it up and it’s bloody windy !!! There are just a few little things I have found annoying already!

Obvs it’s not a full on tent … but all the sides are flapping around at the bottom, you’d think there was some Velcro alternative to stop gusts of wind coming in?

Also what’s with the cross air beams they look like one is bowing and we have pumped enough air in !

Our awning kit comes in 3 pieces now how on earth is that gonna stop rain coming in ? You can see the gaps on the vamoose rail… and if it’s windy they kinda move … not making it very water tight for the tunnel (I know it will never be water tight but you get me)….

Anyway I’m really moaning lol and I’m in that mood !!! Any tips ?

What are we doing wrong ?
On the flapping sides issue; I have the poled version of this awning and have found that as essentially a gazebo with sides it needs lots of pegs to setup properly and all the guy lines pegged out including the one in the centre of the sides and this needs to be tensioned correctly with the pegs in the centre to ensure the gap between the groundsheet edge and the side isn’t gaping. The peg on the groundsheet and the peg on the side can be pegged together and therefore there is only half a side to flap.

I guess you have probably done all this already (if it even makes sense!), and so I guess just hope the wind drops where you are (is does here today).

I had similar issue with air beams in tents deforming when trying to tension the tunnel properly to avoid puddles on rain forming, hence I went for the poles version

Tis true! Whilst hotels provide evening entertainment in the form of pro/semi-pro acts, on a campsite that function is fulfilled by newbies. :think smile bounce:
I find that the “extra pillow” service are all professionals.

@Angieg I got one 2.4mts long picked it up when I was on holiday in Dorset I think it was only £14 works a treat
plenty of nice sites to camp in the area as well
That’s brilliant thank you I’ve been looking but couldn’t find any x ;)
There's a few on here (including me) who have bought a single long piece of Figure8 - the real trick is to find a firm local to you or one who won't want to charge you £30 to ship a £13 bit of plastic but it solves all the leaking issues that you describe. The only other thing is that you've got to find somewhere to store it - my solution is that it slides into the back by the bed and in front of the furniture coming to a rest behind the drivers seat but I think others put in on the bed board under the pop top. As to your other problems, might I suggest that you practise putting it up in the garden (yours or someone else). Personally, I've had hours of fun sitting in a campsite with a cuppa or a beer watching people trying to put up a tent when they've obviously not done it before. I've also felt quite sorry for them when they've done a rubbish job off putting it up and there's a storm overnight resulting in the tent collapsing around them.
good ideas there thanks lol - yes we put it up and in not bad time , but I’m glad you weren’t there watching haha

PS. I got my long Figure 8 from a firm called Camper Interiors - IIRC, it was £12 with £12.50 P&P.
Brilliant thank you ;)

An awning isn’t a tent, I wouldn’t have too high expectation for an overpriced, flexible, flappy appendage.
In the tent world there is an even greater range of dross which doesn’t perform.
Even the best geodesic extreme condition tents flex otherwise they would break.
You’re not wrong there with these things
On the flapping sides issue; I have the poled version of this awning and have found that as essentially a gazebo with sides it needs lots of pegs to setup properly and all the guy lines pegged out including the one in the centre of the sides and this needs to be tensioned correctly with the pegs in the centre to ensure the gap between the groundsheet edge and the side isn’t gaping. The peg on the groundsheet and the peg on the side can be pegged together and therefore there is only half a side to flap.

I guess you have probably done all this already (if it even makes sense!), and so I guess just hope the wind drops where you are (is does here today).

I had similar issue with air beams in tents deforming when trying to tension the tunnel properly to avoid puddles on rain forming, hence I went for the poles version
Yes def that’s what’s happened where the air beam has been pulled I reckon ! There’s all sorts of strings and all sorts with it , just a matter of us practicing pinning them all down properly - def haven’t done the Ty bel sides properly as it’s our first go ! - we have a stitches and steel tarp that we use usually a lot easier lol … but thought we would go for an awning - I wouldn’t have minded a pole one but hubby went for air ! thanks x

Back