Kampa Air Shelter 300

EAN

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve recently purchased a Kampa Air Shelter 300 (still waiting on delivery) to put up by the side of the campervan (also still waiting for delivery) for when we are camping, attaching sides as and when wanted.
I chose it because I didn’t want poles to potentially damage the van and also I didn’t want to have an awning rail on the van itself.
Thought it was a practical solution.
Now I’m confused. I’m a newbie to camping and looking at camp sites for next year quite a few allow awnings but specifically don’t allow gazebos or charge extra for them whilst not charging extra for an awning.
Is it a gazebo? Is it an awning?
I’ve seen it advertised / described as both.
Lots of awnings are more like tents and the Air Shelter looks like a gazebo.
What are others thoughts?
Do you think it would be allowed as it is built for camping, doesn’t have poles and can be well secured to the ground with guides and pegs?
I suppose it will come down to me querying in advance with each site.

If they charge extra for a gazebo, it's an awning (or vice versa) ;)
I expect the campsite will take exactly the opposite view to get a few more pennies!! :)
My main concern is not being able to put it up at all if they consider it to be a gazebo, but cant see what the problem would be.
Maybe I’m overthinking!!

I expect the campsite will take exactly the opposite view to get a few more pennies!! :)
My main concern is not being able to put it up at all if they consider it to be a gazebo, but cant see what the problem would be.
Maybe I’m overthinking!!

I don’t blame you for puzzling on this. I would have the same concern. And some sites squeeze you for every little thing.

Reactions: EAN
In my head, an awning is properly attached to the van, and a gazebo isn’t.

I suspect that campsites are trying to avoid people taking up too much space with a gazebo placed some way from the vehicle.

Pete

Maybe I’m overthinking!!
Tell them it's an awning and, in the unlikely event you're challenged, have some evidence to hand - such as the adverts you've referred to.

Overthinking? Yeah, probably. ;)

It's a driveaway awning, normally attached to the van and in essence no larger than a motorhome awning.
Camping and Caravan Club sites general have a 1 rule for all sites. Never had any bother.

Think you might struggle to convince them its an awning particularly as it doesn't attach to the van and it looks like a gazebo...

If your concerned about poles then go for an air awning (i.e. Vango, Kampa etc) and guessing when you mention not wanting an awning rail on the van you mean the type that have to be fixed to the van. You could always look at those that fit within the channel itself meaning that they aren't visible and also bolt down using the existing roof fixings. Take a look at the attached.

Think you might struggle to convince them its an awning particularly as it doesn't attach to the van and it looks like a gazebo...

If your concerned about poles then go for an air awning (i.e. Vango, Kampa etc) and guessing when you mention not wanting an awning rail on the van you mean the type that have to be fixed to the van. You could always look at those that fit within the channel itself meaning that they aren't visible and also bolt down using the existing roof fixings. Take a look at the attached.

That is my concern, but i’ve already purchased it and it is the air beam version.
Totally agree it looks like a gazebo, but them most of the drive away awnings I have seen have more in common with a tent.
Van ordered will have an SCA pop top so no existing roof fixings and I’m not keen on having any more holes drilled.

It's a driveaway awning, normally attached to the van and in essence no larger than a motorhome awning.
Camping and Caravan Club sites general have a 1 rule for all sites. Never had any bother.
Are you saying you use a Kampa air shelter without any issue?

Even with a pop top you will likely still have access to two or three of the original roof fixing points. If you search for fitting an awning ('c') rail with a pop top you'll probably see how to do it - they may need a bit of adaptation.

There may be rare situations where a motorhome/campervan only site's insurance doesn't allow tents or freestanding structures, but that's unlikely if they are a general campsite.

The Kampa air shelter legs are angled outwards, so you'll have a gap to your van. You could fit a tarp to the van and throw it over the shelter, you'll then have a covered 'tunnel' and it may make it look like it is an attached awning :)

We are relatively new to this and have used a separate tent rather than a driveway awning on a couple of sites with no extra charge, but those sites were general campsites. Have seen that set-up on CC Club sites also so, as per Merryman, it doesn't seem to be an issue with them.

Even with a pop top you will likely still have access to two or three of the original roof fixing points. If you search for fitting an awning ('c') rail with a pop top you'll probably see how to do it - they may need a bit of adaptation.

There may be rare situations where a motorhome/campervan only site's insurance doesn't allow tents or freestanding structures, but that's unlikely if they are a general campsite.

The Kampa air shelter legs are angled outwards, so you'll have a gap to your van. You could fit a tarp to the van and throw it over the shelter, you'll then have a covered 'tunnel' and it may make it look like it is an attached awning :)

We are relatively new to this and have used a separate tent rather than a driveway awning on a couple of sites with no extra charge, but those sites were general campsites. Have seen that set-up on CC Club sites also so, as per Merryman, it doesn't seem to be an issue with them.
The Kampa air shelter does come with 4 detachable sides: I have an idea, if possible, to use the material from one of the sides to get a short “tunnel” made and perhaps, and again it’s only an idea, use some sort of magnetic attachment to the van.
I cannot envisage ever needing 4 sides, especially as none of them have an opening in them from what I can see.
At present, I don’t have the van or the Kampa Air Shelter; everything is in the planning stage although both have been ordered.
Might be able to work something out and maybe there might just be something existing on the van that I can use for attachment.
Will have a search of the forum.

If you are using as a driveaway, without a rail. The 2 alternatives are a) strap over the van, and possiblly with extensions peg and tie down on the opposite side. b) Using Roof rails, again tie down to the far side rail. Thus making a tunnel from the side door.
I went the brave way and pop rivetted a rail both sides of the roof, and it works a treat. I still wanted to retain the roof rails.
Good luck and enjoy you're camping

Last edited:
Got cold feet and got a refund on the Kampa Air Shelter.
Decided to actually do some camping with the van only first and then see what we actually need.

Back