Finally taking the plunge, here are a billion questions..

Go to Busfest, talk to the traders and more importantly look at the bits you don’t normally see and get a personal feel for the conversion company you may be spending your cash with. It’s also worth travelling for the right company and not to chose 1 that is local.
The forum have a dedicated camping pitch @ Busfest - pop over for a chat…
We have a LWB and have no issues with the extra 400mm in length. We now wouldn’t consider a SWB. We are 2 adults and a 6ft tall 13year old.
If you can’t manage Busfest, come to the next wknd Forum meet at Brook Meadows, Sibbertoft and talk to other folk who have been in the same dilemma and asking the same questions as you. Folk from this Forum are a really helpful, happy lot who know what works. They also will spend your money very quickly…
Be prepared to dig deep in those pockets!!!
We have a LWB too, plus a bike rack on the tailgate. The additional length causes no problems. You might want to consider a reversing camera because it helps with parking.
we have a Reimo seat on rails which allows better use of the LWB interior.

Hire one.

Or beg, borrow or steal one for a week.

Pricey, but really helps to narrow down your 'must have', 'nice to have' and 'not bothered' list.

Heating is easy, most convertor will have the option of a diesel heater, and usually easy to retrofit. Very effective in a small van.

Welcome to the forum!
A van you mean? Thank you.. I have been thinking about this to be fair. I might look again at prices now its the end of the summer because honestly I couldn't have justifed the cost before!

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Reactions: CAB
We are waiting for our T6.1 to arrive but have nine years of campervan experience with our current non-VW conversion.

We have opted for 2. The van is a new panel van conversion.
1. Buy something direct from VW
2. Find a company that converts vans they find
3. Buy a van, then find a company
4. Buy something second hand

Space for a toilet, somewhere, somehow: toilets take up a lot of space. We opted for a loo that is basically a toilet seat which clips onto a base like the legs of an ironing board. A small bin bag gets attached to the seat and some cat litter goes in the bag. Use the loo, tie the bag off then bin. Over the nine years it has not been used often as we go to campsites but it has been handy on occasions. It folds down into a shallow box that easily fits under the seat. I normally have it set up in the small tent we put up beside the van.

This is similar to what we have:

HEATING (capitals to stress just how vital this is to my survival) We’ll have a heater in the new van but we carried a small fan heater and an electric blanket for colder nights.

4. Tale gate or barn doors - tailgate for us. Provides shelter and good for the bike rack.

6. Gas vs electric hob - gas for us. And we’re getting an oven in this one which I’m quite excited about.

7. Some suggestions on bike racks and awnings/tent would also be appreciated. We’ve gone for the VW one.
Drive away awning look a lot of faff to us, plus our old van has no awning rail. We bought a simple, cheap, 2x2x2 shelter/tent from Decathlon and it is excellent. We use it for putting stuff in - the loo is set up there, the bikes go in overnight or when we are away without them, I hang bungee cord washing lines for drying clothes and as a wardrobe, extra bedding etc. Very handy and a 5 min set up.

View attachment 128356
This is SUPER useful info, thank you so so much! I was thinking I might take my Ninja foodie (its a pressure cooker, slow cooker, air frier thingy) away with me as it plugs in, but an oven sounds amazing! Who have you gone with for your conversion?

We have a LWB too, plus a bike rack on the tailgate. The additional length causes no problems. You might want to consider a reversing camera because it helps with parking.
we have a Reimo seat on rails which allows better use of the LWB interior.
This is useful, thank you. I had a SWB before and it never felt that big, I wonder if it would be the same. My only concern is I don't have a drive way, so I'm limited to either on street parking on a car park near my flat, I could do with testing out the size of the spaces!

Hi,

We are van converters, and work in the option 2 and 3 markets. Based in Somerset and will answer your question impartially. As with most things these are my observations from a user, installer and maintenance point of view so I realise subjectivity is a t play, people will have differing views so take all on board and o from there.

1. Buy something direct from VW – this will be expensive and you will have limited options
2. Find a company that converts vans they find – This is ok if you can get the van ordered before its converted so you can specify your needs. Not always possible as some companies only do their specific conversions for speed and throughput.
3. Buy a van, then find a company you get to check out e company and check their work prior to committing. You should also be able to request your specific needs to the conversion before the build.
4. Buy something second hand. This is a minefield, unless you are 100% happy you can check quality of work, have all paperwork etc before you buy – or buy from a company who you trust, you could be caught out. We see so many ‘professional’ conversions or DIY conversions which are simply not safe – electrics, gas etc.

I have a few specific needs:
Space for 4 people to sleep – bed downstairs and an elevating roof bed
3 seats up front (we are a family of 3, no one wants the back seat!) – this is typical configuration
Space for a toilet, somewhere, somehow. - They are large items and you will struggle to fit in a cupboard with a 3 seat bed in the rear. Far simpler to carry in the rear (a cupboard could be made to hide it) and place in the front when needed at night.
Automatic transmission. – This is DSG and a great option
HEATING (capitals to stress just how vital this is to my survival) – Diesel heater is typical although gas heaters are available. We tend to use diesel heaters.

Within that, I have some questions for those have vans, if you don't mind sharing some thoughts..

1. Rib bed vs Rock and roll – same thing, RnR is a generic term. Typically you have beds which you sleep on the rear but sit on the front like the RIB and REIMO, and others which you sit and sleep on the same side. RIB are a very good bed, I feel the contours of the RIB seat are classier.
2. Is it worth getting solar panels – depends on how you use the van, off grid etc, we fit them 90% of times. They are good and will constantly charge your leisure battery and main battery.
3. Can you fit a roof box on a pop top/around solar panels, yes and no, Typically solar panel is in middle of roof so it looks nicer, however even a thin roof box can cover this partially. Or you can offset the solar panel, works better but does not look nice. Most customers fit in the middle and live with the shadow that the roof box casts.
4. Tail gate or barn doors - Tailgate
5. What kind of van would give the best starting point - especially focused on trim level, weight limits and conversion cost, LWB SWB. I prefer LWB but SWB more common and drive more like cars, parking etc. I’d go for a T28 or T30 and a highline spec
6. Gas vs electric hob – electric becoming more popular but gas still rules as you can use anywhere and not be limited by your electric supply. Unless you are only ever going on a campsite with electric hook up.
7. Some suggestions on bike racks and awnings/tent would also be appreciated – I always recommend a tow bar fitted bike rack on a detachable towbar.

Hope all this helps,

Rgds

Ian

Hi,

We are van converters, and work in the option 2 and 3 markets. Based in Somerset and will answer your question impartially. As with most things these are my observations from a user, installer and maintenance point of view so I realise subjectivity is a t play, people will have differing views so take all on board and o from there.

1. Buy something direct from VW – this will be expensive and you will have limited options
2. Find a company that converts vans they find – This is ok if you can get the van ordered before its converted so you can specify your needs. Not always possible as some companies only do their specific conversions for speed and throughput.
3. Buy a van, then find a company you get to check out e company and check their work prior to committing. You should also be able to request your specific needs to the conversion before the build.
4. Buy something second hand. This is a minefield, unless you are 100% happy you can check quality of work, have all paperwork etc before you buy – or buy from a company who you trust, you could be caught out. We see so many ‘professional’ conversions or DIY conversions which are simply not safe – electrics, gas etc.

I have a few specific needs:
Space for 4 people to sleep – bed downstairs and an elevating roof bed
3 seats up front (we are a family of 3, no one wants the back seat!) – this is typical configuration
Space for a toilet, somewhere, somehow. - They are large items and you will struggle to fit in a cupboard with a 3 seat bed in the rear. Far simpler to carry in the rear (a cupboard could be made to hide it) and place in the front when needed at night.
Automatic transmission. – This is DSG and a great option
HEATING (capitals to stress just how vital this is to my survival) – Diesel heater is typical although gas heaters are available. We tend to use diesel heaters.

Within that, I have some questions for those have vans, if you don't mind sharing some thoughts..

1. Rib bed vs Rock and roll – same thing, RnR is a generic term. Typically you have beds which you sleep on the rear but sit on the front like the RIB and REIMO, and others which you sit and sleep on the same side. RIB are a very good bed, I feel the contours of the RIB seat are classier.
2. Is it worth getting solar panels – depends on how you use the van, off grid etc, we fit them 90% of times. They are good and will constantly charge your leisure battery and main battery.
3. Can you fit a roof box on a pop top/around solar panels, yes and no, Typically solar panel is in middle of roof so it looks nicer, however even a thin roof box can cover this partially. Or you can offset the solar panel, works better but does not look nice. Most customers fit in the middle and live with the shadow that the roof box casts.
4. Tail gate or barn doors - Tailgate
5. What kind of van would give the best starting point - especially focused on trim level, weight limits and conversion cost, LWB SWB. I prefer LWB but SWB more common and drive more like cars, parking etc. I’d go for a T28 or T30 and a highline spec
6. Gas vs electric hob – electric becoming more popular but gas still rules as you can use anywhere and not be limited by your electric supply. Unless you are only ever going on a campsite with electric hook up.
7. Some suggestions on bike racks and awnings/tent would also be appreciated – I always recommend a tow bar fitted bike rack on a detachable towbar.

Hope all this helps,

Rgds

Ian
Hey Ian,

Thank you a million times for this! Will you be a Busfest? I'd love to come and chat to you further if you're going to be around. Not sure where in Somerset you are, I'm in Bristol, maybe we could arrange something else if you don't think Busfest would work!

Thanks again,

Imogen

Come and have a look at mine - I'm BS9. I was in exactly the same position as you 18 months ago.

We found a converter (at the National Camping, Caravan and Motor Home show at the NEC just before lockdown last year) who then helped us find the (new) van. They gave us lots of help and advice on options but weren't pushy either. The show at the NEC was really useful to discover what can be done, and this forum is great for guiding you away from the things you think you n need but in all probability don't.

We have heating (Webasto, diesel, which also gives hot water for our sink and shower), an induction hob (I don't even have one of those in my kitchen at home!), oven/grill/microwave combo, and a lift out toilet in a box made to match our furniture. This bolts down onto my Reimo rails.

I'd echo @moomin-j and @Pete C and say LWB, and tailgate rather than barn doors like @TartanTsixer - that 400mm makes such a difference and whilst the turning circle is huge, I never really struggle with parking. I have a removable tow bar on which I put an Atera Strada bike rack (4 bikes), which slides away so that you can open the tailgate with the bikes still on it. However, as two of them are now electric bikes, sliding it back again is no picnic, as I recently found out!!

Drop me a message if you'd like to see it and get some pointers.
FF9D33A1-A03B-4BDC-BDEB-5A35DEAE1854.jpeg23D14D84-F258-4D6B-ABA6-A87A4242F6D3.jpeg0F949988-FC35-4537-B981-3344D148A504.jpegIMG_8146.JPG46833B24-F385-455B-8F0B-23AB00C7683D.jpeg

Hi Mayo, I'm in BS20 - I went for option 2 with a130cm Rib Altair (so slim cabinets); wished I would have got Solar Panels; don't need a roof box; have barn doors - but would have preferred tailgate; Its a LWB T30 150, manual, Highline (hired a SWB for a week before purchasing and the limited floor space, especially with bed down, was annoying); Gas - but never tried lecky cooking but I have enough battery / power anxiety when not on EHU already. Windout awnings are a great addition for quick stop overs - there's loads of advice on tents / drive away awnings in the forum. I don't do biking or towing so can't advise on tow bars..

We’ve had our lwb t6.1 a couple of months now and luv it. Been down a lot of narrow lanes on Exmoor and Dorset and I don’t think 400mm on the outside makes any difference but a big difference on the inside. I’m in Bristol by the way if you wanted to have a look at a lwb

Come and have a look at mine - I'm BS9. I was in exactly the same position as you 18 months ago.

We found a converter (at the National Camping, Caravan and Motor Home show at the NEC just before lockdown last year) who then helped us find the (new) van. They gave us lots of help and advice on options but weren't pushy either. The show at the NEC was really useful to discover what can be done, and this forum is great for guiding you away from the things you think you n need but in all probability don't.

We have heating (Webasto, diesel, which also gives hot water for our sink and shower), an induction hob (I don't even have one of those in my kitchen at home!), oven/grill/microwave combo, and a lift out toilet in a box made to match our furniture. This bolts down onto my Reimo rails.

I'd echo @moomin-j and @Pete C and say LWB, and tailgate rather than barn doors like @TartanTsixer - that 400mm makes such a difference and whilst the turning circle is huge, I never really struggle with parking. I have a removable tow bar on which I put an Atera Strada bike rack (4 bikes), which slides away so that you can open the tailgate with the bikes still on it. However, as two of them are now electric bikes, sliding it back again is no picnic, as I recently found out!!

Drop me a message if you'd like to see it and get some pointers.
View attachment 128491View attachment 128492View attachment 128493View attachment 128495View attachment 128497
Oh wow, that is so incredibly kind, thank you so much for all the info .. I'd love to come and see it if you didn't mind!

Hi Mayo, I'm in BS20 - I went for option 2 with a130cm Rib Altair (so slim cabinets); wished I would have got Solar Panels; don't need a roof box; have barn doors - but would have preferred tailgate; Its a LWB T30 150, manual, Highline (hired a SWB for a week before purchasing and the limited floor space, especially with bed down, was annoying); Gas - but never tried lecky cooking but I have enough battery / power anxiety when not on EHU already. Windout awnings are a great addition for quick stop overs - there's loads of advice on tents / drive away awnings in the forum. I don't do biking or towing so can't advise on tow bars..
This is really really helpful, thank you ever so much! Did you get yours converted locally?

We’ve had our lwb t6.1 a couple of months now and luv it. Been down a lot of narrow lanes on Exmoor and Dorset and I don’t think 400mm on the outside makes any difference but a big difference on the inside. I’m in Bristol by the way if you wanted to have a look at a lwb

That is so kind of you! I'd love to come and stick my nose it if you didn't mind! There are so many options, I feel like the more I see, the better choices I can make in the final stages

Hey Ian,

Thank you a million times for this! Will you be a Busfest? I'd love to come and chat to you further if you're going to be around. Not sure where in Somerset you are, I'm in Bristol, maybe we could arrange something else if you don't think Busfest would work!

Thanks again,

Imogen
Hi Imogen, Thats ok, no sorry we won't be at Busfest, just too busy at the meoment to even contemplate shows. We are Yeovil. Happy to chat if you want to call.
Rgds
Ian

Hi Imogen, Thats ok, no sorry we won't be at Busfest, just too busy at the meoment to even contemplate shows. We are Yeovil. Happy to chat if you want to call.
Rgds
Ian
That would be great, if you didn't mind, I'll find your website and give you a bell :)

Back