Finally taking the plunge, here are a billion questions..

Mayo

Hello All,

Really pleased to have found this site. I'm hoping you might be able to give me some advice. I've done a fair amount of reading, both on the forum and online in general, but in some ways, its left me with more questions than answers, at this point it would be really useful to speak to actual people to hear points of view...

So. I have some money coming. Its a finite amount so the build will have to be on budget. I don't know exactly how much yet, but I have my fingers crossed it'll be around the 50-60k mark.

In my mind, I have 4 options:
1. Buy something direct from VW
2. Find a company that converts vans they find
3. Buy a van, then find a company
4. Buy something second hand

I have a few specific needs:
Space for 4 people to sleep
3 seats up front (we are a family of 3, no one wants the back seat!)
Space for a toilet, somewhere, somehow.
Automatic transmition
HEATING (capitals to stress just how vital this is to my survival)

Within that, I have some questions for those have vans, if you don't mind sharing some thoughts..

1. Rib bed vs Rock and roll
2. Is it worth getting solar panels
3. Can you fit a roof box on a pop top/around solar panels
4. Tale gate or barn doors
5. What kind of van would give the best starting point - especially focused on trim level, weight limits and conversion cost, LWB SWB
6. Gas vs electric hob
7. Some suggestions on bike racks and awnings/tent would also be appreciated

I have already found literally thousands of conversion companies, I could ring round all of them, I suspect that might be my approach eventually, to ask about their avalibility and if they find vans or need me to find one. That said, I'd gladly take suggestions of people to start with, especially those who aren't just fitting kits or who might charge what would take me over budget.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you can offer. I'm a happy camper already, but the van will be a totally new experience, I can't wait!

Does the toilet have to be fixed, or can it be a porta-potty mobile thing ?
If the former, then it has to be LWB.

Pete

Does the toilet have to be fixed, or can it be a porta-potty mobile thing ?
If the former, then it has to be LWB.

Pete
Thank you Pete. A porta-potty would do. I've considered a LWB, I am tempted, but, driving those narrow lanes in Devon.. I just don't know how it would feel! Also, from memory, car parking spaces often aren't big enough to accommodate LWB, that would get old quick!

Go to Busfest, talk to the traders and more importantly look at the bits you don’t normally see and get a personal feel for the conversion company you may be spending your cash with. It’s also worth travelling for the right conversion company and maybe not to choose 1 that is local.
You may have to consider that a reputable conversion company could have a long lead time of up to 12 months.
The forum have a dedicated camping pitch @ Busfest - pop over for a chat…
We have a LWB and have no issues with the extra 400mm in length. We now wouldn’t consider a SWB. We are 2 adults and a 6ft tall 13year old.
If you can’t manage Busfest, come to the next wknd Forum meet at Brook Meadows, Sibbertoft and talk to other folk who have been in the same dilemma and asking the same questions as you. Folk from this Forum are a really helpful, happy lot who know what works. They also will spend your money very quickly…
Be prepared to dig deep in those pockets!!!

Last edited:
Go to Busfest, talk to the traders and more importantly look at the bits you don’t normally see and get a personal feel for the conversion company you may be spending your cash with. It’s also worth travelling for the right company and not to chose 1 that is local.
The forum have a dedicated camping pitch @ Busfest - pop over for a chat…
We have a LWB and have no issues with the extra 400mm in length. We now wouldn’t consider a SWB. We are 2 adults and a 6ft tall 13year old.
If you can’t manage Busfest, come to the next wknd Forum meet at Brook Meadows, Sibbertoft and talk to other folk who have been in the same dilemma and asking the same questions as you. Folk from this Forum are a really helpful, happy lot who know what works. They also will spend your money very quickly…
Be prepared to dig deep in those pockets!!!
Oh wow.. okay, I absolutely have to go! I've been looking at VolkFest in Bristol but I missed it.. this would be ideal, thank you so much for the heads up! I don't know if I can find someone else to go with at such short notice, but I'll ask around and see what I can do.

Super interested to hear that you wouldn't go back to SWB now.. I think it would be useful to see the difference. I had a T5 for a few years, my ex's van, a beautiful caravelle, properly lush, SWB .. I miss her more than the ex, but thats another story!

Oh wow.. okay, I absolutely have to go! I've been looking at VolkFest in Bristol but I missed it.. this would be ideal, thank you so much for the heads up! I don't know if I can find someone else to go with at such short notice, but I'll ask around and see what I can do.

Super interested to hear that you wouldn't go back to SWB now.. I think it would be useful to see the difference. I had a T5 for a few years, my ex's van, a beautiful caravelle, properly lush, SWB .. I miss her more than the ex, but thats another story!
Come to Busfest on your own - we don’t bite!!

Come to Busfest on your own - we don’t bite!!
Ahhh .. I believe you! I just binned off my tent though, long bloody story, so if I'm coming, its probably just for the day.. if you were happy to meet up though, that would be lush!

Ahhh .. I believe you! I just binned off my tent though, long bloody story, so if I'm coming, its probably just for the day.. if you were happy to meet up though, that would be lush!
We’ll be in the Forum camping for the wknd - when you get there give us a buzz and we can have a trot back over and chat no problem.

Already heart broken I don't have a tent, don't make it worse!
A very big warm welcome to the T6 Forum.
Things will get better when the conversion is complete and sat on your drive.
I am sure it will be lush…

Hire one.

Or beg, borrow or steal one for a week.

Pricey, but really helps to narrow down your 'must have', 'nice to have' and 'not bothered' list.

Heating is easy, most convertor will have the option of a diesel heater, and usually easy to retrofit. Very effective in a small van.

Welcome to the forum!

We are waiting for our T6.1 to arrive but have nine years of campervan experience with our current non-VW conversion.

We have opted for 2. The van is a new panel van conversion.
1. Buy something direct from VW
2. Find a company that converts vans they find
3. Buy a van, then find a company
4. Buy something second hand

Space for a toilet, somewhere, somehow: toilets take up a lot of space. We opted for a loo that is basically a toilet seat which clips onto a base like the legs of an ironing board. A small bin bag gets attached to the seat and some cat litter goes in the bag. Use the loo, tie the bag off then bin. Over the nine years it has not been used often as we go to campsites but it has been handy on occasions. It folds down into a shallow box that easily fits under the seat. I normally have it set up in the small tent we put up beside the van.

This is similar to what we have:

HEATING (capitals to stress just how vital this is to my survival) We’ll have a heater in the new van but we carried a small fan heater and an electric blanket for colder nights.

4. Tale gate or barn doors - tailgate for us. Provides shelter and good for the bike rack.

6. Gas vs electric hob - gas for us. And we’re getting an oven in this one which I’m quite excited about.

7. Some suggestions on bike racks and awnings/tent would also be appreciated. We’ve gone for the VW one.
Drive away awning look a lot of faff to us, plus our old van has no awning rail. We bought a simple, cheap, 2x2x2 shelter/tent from Decathlon and it is excellent. We use it for putting stuff in - the loo is set up there, the bikes go in overnight or when we are away without them, I hang bungee cord washing lines for drying clothes and as a wardrobe, extra bedding etc. Very handy and a 5 min set up.

2001AC6A-BF63-4D83-9121-0F857804E8B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back