Finally taking the plunge, here are a billion questions..

A van you mean? Thank you.. I have been thinking about this to be fair. I might look again at prices now its the end of the summer because honestly I couldn't have justifed the cost before!

Thanks for the kind welcome!
No problem.

Using one really is the best way of narrowing down your needs, we ended up with a rear kitchen layout after borrowing my brother's van. It really helped us decide what we wanted.

This is really really helpful, thank you ever so much! Did you get yours converted locally?
Hi, no I went for a CamperKings (Stratford-upon-Avon way) conversion - the van ticked all my boxes at the time and, as I am an impatient type, the fact I could walk in, buy it and drive away to a camp site within a week was compelling. I doubt you can do that now though..

No problem.

Using one really is the best way of narrowing down your needs, we ended up with a rear kitchen layout after borrowing my brother's van. It really helped us decide what we wanted.
I've looked at the rear kitchen lay out, how have you found it, I kinda like the look of it!

I've looked at the rear kitchen lay out, how have you found it, I kinda like the look of it!
We prefer it, having tried a standard conversion.

There are drawbacks, lack of storage for bedding, awnings, windbreaks etc.

Advantages are a sofa, and 2 people can do 2 different things at either end of the van.

However, it's best for 2 people, would think that 4 would be better in a standard layout.

Welcome to the site, I’m a bit late to this thread and haven’t read all the good advice already posted yet.

my advice for what it is worth is to spend the money on things that you need but won’t be able to change later on. Such as a LWB over a short wheel base as an example. Also look to your future needs. I was dead set on having three seats up-front but the opted for two captains seats - which was by far the better option. Especially as your child grows.

for me van flexibility was a must and I find that while it cost more the Reimo Variotech 3000 Sliding Seat System is well worth it And will mean you can bring the back seats right up to behind the front seats. It’s not something you can really change so I would think long and hard about this up front.

Another note is the electrical system and battery set-up. People often chop and change this over time but again it is something I wanted to my specification from the beginning so as not to ‘waste’ money by constantly upgrading it.

Check out my and others build threads. if your based anywhere near Market Harborough some of us will be at a meet up at the end of the month. You could see a couple of vans - or better yet get a day ticket to Busfest, see the busfest website, next weekend and look around there.

Good luck!

Go to Busfest, talk to the traders and more importantly look at the bits you don’t normally see and get a personal feel for the conversion company you may be spending your cash with. It’s also worth travelling for the right conversion company and maybe not to choose 1 that is local.
You may have to consider that a reputable conversion company could have a long lead time of up to 12 months.
The forum have a dedicated camping pitch @ Busfest - pop over for a chat…
We have a LWB and have no issues with the extra 400mm in length. We now wouldn’t consider a SWB. We are 2 adults and a 6ft tall 13year old.
If you can’t manage Busfest, come to the next wknd Forum meet at Brook Meadows, Sibbertoft and talk to other folk who have been in the same dilemma and asking the same questions as you. Folk from this Forum are a really helpful, happy lot who know what works. They also will spend your money very quickly…
Be prepared to dig deep in those pockets!!!
I've got tickets! I'm coming on the Saturday!

I've got tickets! I'm coming on the Saturday!

Be nice to meet you & talk T6 stuff!!

We’ll be in the Forum camping for the wknd - when you get there give us a buzz and we can have a trot back over and chat no problem.

Do I still have to bring my dress & high heels?

Babe?
If fat, fifty & bald is your take on being a babe, I'll have it.
I can wear an off the shoulder number with high heels if it helps further...

Hi, no I went for a CamperKings (Stratford-upon-Avon way) conversion - the van ticked all my boxes at the time and, as I am an impatient type, the fact I could walk in, buy it and drive away to a camp site within a week was compelling. I doubt you can do that now though..
No one I've spoken to has less than an 18m wait list..

We prefer it, having tried a standard conversion.

There are drawbacks, lack of storage for bedding, awnings, windbreaks etc.

Advantages are a sofa, and 2 people can do 2 different things at either end of the van.

However, it's best for 2 people, would think that 4 would be better in a standard layout.
This is a really useful reflection, thanks so much!

Welcome to the site, I’m a bit late to this thread and haven’t read all the good advice already posted yet.

my advice for what it is worth is to spend the money on things that you need but won’t be able to change later on. Such as a LWB over a short wheel base as an example. Also look to your future needs. I was dead set on having three seats up-front but the opted for two captains seats - which was by far the better option. Especially as your child grows.

for me van flexibility was a must and I find that while it cost more the Reimo Variotech 3000 Sliding Seat System is well worth it And will mean you can bring the back seats right up to behind the front seats. It’s not something you can really change so I would think long and hard about this up front.

Another note is the electrical system and battery set-up. People often chop and change this over time but again it is something I wanted to my specification from the beginning so as not to ‘waste’ money by constantly upgrading it.

Check out my and others build threads. if your based anywhere near Market Harborough some of us will be at a meet up at the end of the month. You could see a couple of vans - or better yet get a day ticket to Busfest, see the busfest website, next weekend and look around there.

Good luck!

This is really useful, thank you. The kid is 9 currently and whilst we hope they'll want to travel with us for a while to come yet, the reality is the van is likely just for the two of us long term.

I have tickets to Bus Fest, will you be there?

This is really useful, thank you. The kid is 9 currently and whilst we hope they'll want to travel with us for a while to come yet, the reality is the van is likely just for the two of us long term.

I have tickets to Bus Fest, will you be there?
Hi,

yes, will be there :).

that was roughly my daughters age when we were looking and we had a minds set to triple seating up front. We rented a van for the weekend and quickly realised it would not last long and that the ‘flexibility’ of a movable seat at the back offered what we needed - the ability to bring her within easy arms reach :). It can be quite costly to change to captains seats afterwards also.

As mentioned I would recommend a LWB, the extra space does make a difference! Engine size - at least 150 (I have 199) a must on hills / long stretches of motorway. With a good electrical system I would suggest going for induction rather than a gas hob. That said we never cook in the van - other than use the microwave to reheat pre-cooked stuff, soup or parsley box stuff.

I would suggest that you compile a list of what you want on your Base Van itself, see below for some examples, and post it hear for some advice. :)

- LWB
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- LED headlights
- DSG
- power latching
etc.

Last edited:
@Mayo - as @czmate1999 suggests, make a list of what you think you need / want and then hire a camper for a trip away which will show you what you actually need / want.
The final list may then be slightly different, but at least you can be certain you are spending money on the right spec.
When you come to Busfest ask as many questions as you can - we have all been in the same situation as yourself.
My lad was 11 when we bought the camper nearly 2.5 years ago and a growing family will have an influence on your layout etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Hi,

yes, will be there :).

that was roughly my daughters age when we were looking and we had a minds set to triple seating up front. We rented a van for the weekend and quickly realised it would not last long and that the ‘flexibility’ of a movable seat at the back offered what we needed - the ability to bring her within easy arms reach :). It can be quite costly to change to captains seats afterwards also.

As mentioned I would recommend a LWB, the extra space does make a difference! Engine size - at least 150 (I have 199) a must on hills / long stretches of motorway. With a good electrical system I would suggest going for induction rather than a gas hob. That said we never cook in the van - other than use the microwave to reheat pre-cooked stuff, soup or parsley box stuff.

I would suggest that you compile a list of what you want on your Base Van itself, see below for some examples, and post it hear for some advice. :)

- LWB
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- LED headlights
- DSG
- power latching
etc.
This is really helpful, I'm starting to wonder how comfortable the bench seat will be, and how much it'll be used for 3 people up front...

@Mayo - as @czmate1999 suggests, make a list of what you think you need / want and then hire a camper for a trip away which will show you what you actually need / want.
The final list may then be slightly different, but at least you can be certain you are spending money on the right spec.
When you come to Busfest ask as many questions as you can - we have all been in the same situation as yourself.
My lad was 11 when we bought the camper nearly 2.5 years ago and a growing family will have an influence on your layout etc.
Thank you! I'm considering bringing a note book ... haha

A small thing I know, but what I do like about the Captain’s seats is the ability to get in the back of the van without having to get out.
Thats a bloody good point to be fair, I could jump through in the Caravelle, I'd not really thought about how useful that is!

Back