Fiamma F45s multirail solution. (Well for me!)

Fish

Joiner
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So the story goes..
I wanted a remio multirail and an F45s (3.0m)
I didn't want to drill into the outskin of the bus, to fit the fiamma multirail bracket option.

I wanted to be able to remove and apply F45s at anytime in a timely manner (2 x bolts)

I wanted something secure, low as possible and work with the pending HiLo roof.

So I bought both VWT5/6 fiamma bracket options and set to work on a solution that solved all my issues..

Some will say the wasnt an issue, some will agree that the thought of drilling into outer skin shouldnt be nessersary.

This is my proto type; it is yet to be powder-coated..and requires a couple more soft pads on underside(hinesight) having spoken to @Davenjo @BiTurbo a middle bracket will be added, despite fiamma not providing one within their 'kit'.

With the multirail on it closes the ingress gap down to 5mm, so may not require rainguard. Time will tell, If it does require a rain guard it will be attached to the rear of cassestte into the multi rails, by being pinned down by new brackets, rubber strip (@DaveyB :whistle:)..in theory..:thumbsdown:

These brackets are made with the option of adjustable height. The reason for this is different companies fit multirails at different heights. My multirail (fitted by dirtyweekenders) was too low for and the fiamma brackets made cassette catch sliding door.

The front bracket is slightly higher than the rear to allow the front door to miss the inner support arm, again sometimes this has been a known issue..

Anyway, long story that I hope to continue..
If anyone is interested any then let me know.

Fish out!.

20170815_192405.jpg

20170815_192347.jpg

IMG-20170815-WA0018.jpeg

IMG-20170815-WA0007.jpeg

Just fitted the rainguard to mine last evening, so its all fresh in the memory.
That looks like a very neat solution, but allow me to raise one point, intended to be constructive.

It looks like yours is well designed and made but IMHO will take only downward pressure, ie it'll be great at holding the sail up and stopping it from falling.

From experience even a gentle puff of wind getting under it would push the sail upwards and be a real test for these brackets as shown.

Don't forget the pressures on the casing when stowed and travelling at motorway speeds and bumpy roads??

I fear it needs another set of fixings to secure it fully?

Top marks for effort and ingenuity :thumbsup:

So the story goes..
I wanted a remio multirail and an F45s (3.0m)
I didn't want to drill into the outskin of the bus, to fit the fiamma multirail bracket option.

I wanted to be able to remove and apply F45s at anytime in a timely manner (2 x bolts)

I wanted something secure, low as possible and work with the pending HiLo roof.

So I bought both VWT5/6 fiamma bracket options and set to work on a solution that solved all my issues..

Some will say the wasnt an issue, some will agree that the thought of drilling into outer skin shouldnt be nessersary.

This is my proto type; it is yet to be powder-coated..and requires a couple more soft pads on underside(hinesight) having spoken to @Davenjo @BiTurbo a middle bracket will be added, despite fiamma not providing one within their 'kit'.

With the multirail on it closes the ingress gap down to 5mm, so may not require rainguard. Time will tell, If it does require a rain guard it will be attached to the rear of cassestte into the multi rails, by being pinned down by new brackets, rubber strip (@DaveyB :whistle:)..in theory..:thumbsdown:

These brackets are made with the option of adjustable height. The reason for this is different companies fit multirails at different heights. My multirail (fitted by dirtyweekenders) was too low for and the fiamma brackets made cassette catch sliding door.

The front bracket is slightly higher than the rear to allow the front door to miss the inner support arm, again sometimes this has been a known issue..

Anyway, long story that I hope to continue..
If anyone is interested any then let me know.

Fish out!.

View attachment 11717

View attachment 11719

View attachment 11720

View attachment 11723
Great work @Fish, very informative.

Just fitted the rainguard to mine last evening, so its all fresh in the memory.
That looks like a very neat solution, but allow me to raise one point, intended to be constructive.

It looks like yours is well designed and made but IMHO will take only downward pressure, ie it'll be great at holding the sail up and stopping it from falling.

From experience even a gentle puff of wind getting under it would push the sail upwards and be a real test for these brackets as shown.

Don't forget the pressures on the casing when stowed and travelling at motorway speeds and bumpy roads??

I fear it needs another set of fixings to secure it fully?

Top marks for effort and ingenuity :thumbsup:

Good point well presented..
Will work on this in the morning... maybe another addition required..

IMG_2751.JPG IMG_2752.JPG Not a Fiamma but this is the lower of the three brackets on my awning, bracing it for fore and aft as well as upward movement

Having had another peek, I notice that the black channel is screwed on through the bodywork.
Is this something that you could make use of?
Perhaps add screws either side of each awning bracket and use these to add a support/stiffener?

Alternatively or additionally, you could use more brackets as there are several points on the roof that you could use, nowt stopping you having four brackets, still the same issue but at least spreading the load.

:thumbsup:

The original F45s bracket that Fiamma provide offer a 'C' section that bolts over the multi rail. I do still have this option as I have allowed for it, but need to adapt the original idea for a top treaded bolt, opposed to the nut and bolt they provide. As once the nut and bolt are on, there is no way to remove them without taking the cassette off.

Looking at my brackets last night I think that I will change the 2 x M6 bolts in the gutter for a permanent thread and nylock nut. The thread can then be sealed into the body to prevent any possible water ingress

images.png

like the concept but for me it is alittle to much.

P.s what os that on the side? looks like the tip of a commando dagger?

Westfalia logo. The awning attachment isn't my handiwork, though I'm interested to see how you sort this as I want to find some way of attaching a pipe tube on the other side, no higher than roof line, for storing fishing rods
IMG_2430.JPG

Yes that's what I'm planning on using, just need to work out how to fix it on

Back