Euro Trip 2021

Kev_

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Does anyone have any suggestions for camping in Europe? We're based in Germany and hopefully if restrictions are eased next year we'll be looking to head south on tour!

Cheers

Kev

We did this in October last year:

Pete

@Kev_
In my opinion it very much depends if you are wanting to use campsites or camp for free, what time of the year and what you are looking to do and see. We like to get away for 6-8 weeks in the Autumn and cover about 8-10K miles, we try to use free sites for three or four nights and then one night in a campsite.
France is without a doubt the best country for free Aires, the best kept and a good choice right across the country.
Spain has some Aires, not so well kept.
Portugal has far fewer free opportunities as they are trying to herd you into paying campsites. I get the impression that the shoals of huge white motorhomes have created some hostility to travellers.
Northern Italy / South Tyrol isn’t set up for free camping at all and you stand out like a flashing beacon if you try to. South Tyrol has the amazing Dolomite region, well worth a visit if you are feeling active.
Switzerland has strict laws on wild camping, only above the tree line which pretty much eliminates vehicles. Fantastic mountain access and public transport, expensive but worth it.

@Pete C that looks amazing!! We have a 5 year old so I think it maybe a little too far at the moment but based on your trip, Spain and Portugal are definitely in the future plan!

@DXX Thank you for the info!! We'd probably be looking at somewhere paid just for ease of facilities with the little one. From where we're based it's about 6 hours to Croatia so I'm thinking there or anywhere in between. Austria, Switzerland, Italy etc. Hoping someone may have travelled those routes and may have some ideas.

I'll report back on where ever we end up to the forum and hopefully get a bit of a road map of good locations

Remember some new rules for UK residents driving in Europe from January 1st...

Will I be able to drive in Europe?
Yes, but you'll need to take your driving licence, log book (V5C) and valid insurance documents.
You will need to contact your insurer six weeks before you travel to get a green card that will prove you have insurance that covers you in Europe.
Most drivers will not need to buy an International Driving Permit, with the exception of those with paper licences (not photocards) and those with licences issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man, who will need one for some European countries.

Brexit: What are the rules on driving in the EU after transition?

@JasonW We've registered ours here so hopefully we'll be ok

PSX_20201227_144953.jpg

UK registered, I'd definitely recommend following the above and have a warning triangle and high vis vest in the car.

Not my idea of a perfect camping spot as it’s more a parking spot but 100m from miles of almost empty beach, still warm enough to swim for an hour in late Nov, about 5 Euros per night.
Most of the long term residents in the wheeled chest freezers seem permanently pickled on the local vino. Open air beach showers, toilets, security, water & sanitation point.
We caused much discussion by intentionally parking in the opposite direction.
1609146725316.jpeg

:fast rofl::fast rofl::fast rofl:

I parked in the wrong direction in Germany to be told you will get fined for it!

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
:fast rofl::fast rofl::fast rofl:

I parked in the wrong direction in Germany to be told you will get fined for it!
Not surprisingly it was all the German vans that were commenting, nothing like a bit of disorder from the low life.

Not surprisingly it was all the German vans that were commenting, nothing like a bit of disorder from the low life.
Surely all the German vans were parked in the wrong direction, not you! Well, after all, they drive on the “wrong” side!!!

We lived in Munich for a good few years, and our family holiday was usually to Lake Garda. We tried several sites, but ended up returning most to Piani di Clodia, near Lazise. A great camp site with a variety of pitches, 2 pool complexes, tennis courts, gym, shop, restaurant and access to the lake.
A little closer to Germany is a small site on the West end of Walchsee (not to be confused with Walchensee - which is also a good area in D) just across the border in Austria near Kufstein. If you need to stay in Germany, have a look around Tegernsee, which is a great area.

We lived in Munich for a good few years, and our family holiday was usually to Lake Garda. We tried several sites, but ended up returning most to Piani di Clodia, near Lazise. A great camp site with a variety of pitches, 2 pool complexes, tennis courts, gym, shop, restaurant and access to the lake.
A little closer to Germany is a small site on the West end of Walchsee (not to be confused with Walchensee - which is also a good area in D) just across the border in Austria near Kufstein. If you need to stay in Germany, have a look around Tegernsee, which is a great area.
I’m very keen to take the family to Germany in a few years (the boys are too young to appreciate it yet!) It is a much-overlooked country for holidaying.

Awesome!! Thank you.

I was fortunate to have a 4 days in Garda in October cycling between covid restrictions. It's a beautiful place and a great recommendation. I'll have a nosey at the campsite and probably book!. The only struggle we had was trying to find a lasagne :fast rofl: the Bavarian heritage lives on!

I’m very keen to take the family to Germany in a few years (the boys are too young to appreciate it yet!) It is a much-overlooked country for holidaying.
Germany is a great place to holiday, lots of variety and very efficient and organized. Done lots of motorcycle miles there on super roads in the black forest :thumbsup:

Germany is a great place to holiday, lots of variety and very efficient and organized. Done lots of motorcycle miles there on super roads in the black forest :thumbsup:
Absolutely agree. And, the people are very friendly too, especially if you make an attempt at speaking German too. They forgive (aka p1ss themselves laughing at) mistakes and welcome an effort being made! Additionally, they produce many fine beers and lagers! (I’m a big fan of the many Alt beers in Düsseldorf!)

Absolutely agree. And, the people are very friendly too, especially if you make an attempt at speaking German too. They forgive (aka p1ss themselves laughing at) mistakes and welcome an effort being made! Additionally, they produce many fine beers and lagers! (I’m a big fan of the many Alt beers in Düsseldorf!)
Yep like Düsseldorf especially Alt Stadt (old town) drinking local beers :somersault:. Lots of great memories in Adenau next to Nurburgring Ring. Need to take my van around Nordschleif 21km, done it on motorcycle many times

Reactions: JOG
Yep like Düsseldorf especially Alt Stadt (old town) drinking local beers :somersault:. Lots of great memories in Adenau next to Nurburgring Ring. Need to take my van around Nordschleif 21km, done it on motorcycle many times
After dropping my Blade, I took my old van around the Ring. Great fun, particularly as it was raining

Back