Essentials list for my new van

VdubVirgin

VIP Member
Hi,

New here... My T6 is currently being converted and hoping to pick up soon.... Can't wait!

Started thinking I should look at ordering some essentials so I can get straight out and start enjoying it.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's for 2 adults and a wee one. The Van has a pop top and a RIB Bed.

so far I'm thinking

• tow bar bike rack - no idea which one seems a minefield
  • Cutlery etc
  • Awning - hoping to find a Vango cove or similar
  • Camping chairs
  • BBQ
  • Fordable outdoor table
  • Front screen thermal cover - vanshades and rainbow screens still considered good
  • Bedding - Sleeping bags or quilts... Saw a reference to some sort of sleeping bag that has memory foam for comfort? Guessing best to get supper warm one for poptop?
  • port a loo - not sure what brand?
  • some sort of way to make sure dirty/muddy clothes stay outside the van....
  • Outdoor shower bag - one leave in sun

Webasto or Planar (Planar Pete installs at your home) air heater, burns diesel from the tank. Needs a leisure battery for start-up and fan. It makes the van usable year-round no matter where you are, so winds up being a very low price to pay. Also excellent for drying wet clothes and shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
What’s wrong with the cutlery you use a home, it works in the van as well.

What ever you are thinking of getting, then half it as in quantity of NFSpoon, cups/mugs. Small very bendable bucket, rubberised. As you will use several times a day taking mucky cook ware plates etc. back and to the wash area. Also good for washing mucky kids and dogs feet down with.
2 LED lights, small for inside / personal and the other to get you around the site and van, just local beam not a 3KW jobby.
Bags for towels, shower, hand, washing up. Smallish box for Fairy, scrubber, etc the missus or mr will guide you on that one.;)
Skid mats, I use Bread delivery trays, cut the sides and ends off, so lay flat, 2/3. Better than being towed off by a Tractor.
Unless you're sunbathing I like the Directors Chairs, buy aluminium, light weight and strong, even better if they have a side table. A wee table to put your beer mug, wine glass on.
If you are cooking, obviously non stick and a couple of saucepans that fit inside each other. Smallish Frying pan. Have a look at the, I think it's a 'Grill Devil', great bit of kit for doing toasties, Gas or Bar B Q. Forget the Cadac, boiler / broiler, griller, pizza etc. Unstable, as lost 2 whole dinners before I moved it on.
Re bedding, the quality of your insulation will be a huge factor. Personally, duvet winter or summer. Keep the choice open until you have spent a few nights away, to get it right.
The industry is hell bent on receiving as much of your greenbacks ( Yawl ) as possible. You don't need high end, the very best etc at the start. Go in slow, attend rallies or shows for the chat, rather than the Market areas, ask loads of questions. People love to be the source of information.
Make a sign to put outside or in the window, saying who you are. Helps to break down barriers and shyness.
Best of all a small dog, makes more friends than any man.
There's loads more stuff, send me a PM and I'll bore you to death with experiences.

What ever you are thinking of getting, then half it as in quantity of NFSpoon, cups/mugs. Small very bendable bucket, rubberised. As you will use several times a day taking mucky cook ware plates etc. back and to the wash area. Also good for washing mucky kids and dogs feet down with.
2 LED lights, small for inside / personal and the other to get you around the site and van, just local beam not a 3KW jobby.
Bags for towels, shower, hand, washing up. Smallish box for Fairy, scrubber, etc the missus or mr will guide you on that one.;)
Skid mats, I use Bread delivery trays, cut the sides and ends off, so lay flat, 2/3. Better than being towed off by a Tractor.
Unless you're sunbathing I like the Directors Chairs, buy aluminium, light weight and strong, even better if they have a side table. A wee table to put your beer mug, wine glass on.
If you are cooking, obviously non stick and a couple of saucepans that fit inside each other. Smallish Frying pan. Have a look at the, I think it's a 'Grill Devil', great bit of kit for doing toasties, Gas or Bar B Q. Forget the Cadac, boiler / broiler, griller, pizza etc. Unstable, as lost 2 whole dinners before I moved it on.
Re bedding, the quality of your insulation will be a huge factor. Personally, duvet winter or summer. Keep the choice open until you have spent a few nights away, to get it right.
The industry is hell bent on receiving as much of your greenbacks ( Yawl ) as possible. You don't need high end, the very best etc at the start. Go in slow, attend rallies or shows for the chat, rather than the Market areas, ask loads of questions. People love to be the source of information.
Make a sign to put outside or in the window, saying who you are. Helps to break down barriers and shyness.
Best of all a small dog, makes more friends than any man.
There's loads more stuff, send me a PM and I'll bore you to death with experiences.
Great advice..... thank you so much.

Back