1st trip is going to be 1 week away.... is a trailer overkill

VdubVirgin

VIP Member
So hopefully getting away in our new van very soon. I had hoped to get a Few local trips done before the first long one, but delays in the build mean our 1st trip is going to a week away on a campsite..... can't wait.

it's myself, wife and wee one. We have a Rib so fair bit of rear and under seat storage. Have a toebar and toebar bike rack.

got thinking about space and packing. We have a fair bit. As well as the usual cloths, bedding, toys food etc... would be looking to take;

inflatable awning
Inftanle stand up paddle boards.. ideally 2 pretty big bags.
Outdoor foldable table, chairs etc.
outdoor bbq/stove?

I was considering getting a trailer with a top that you can attach roof mouthed bike rack too. (Already have the bike racks to fit).

is this total over kill? I would like to be able to take our outdoor gear as this is why we went for a van. Paddle boarding and biking holidays away.

I guess people also pack stuff in the living area of the van when travelling? Not sure how safe that is in crash? Could always secure it somehow?

would really appreciate peoples thoughts.

We pile everything up on the floor and when we arrive just pull it all out.
That what I was thinking to be honest. Guess most people do that. As most of it will go it no the drive away awning. In even thinking collapsing clothes rails

you not worried about lose times in the van if anything was to happen?

That what I was thinking to be honest. Guess most people do that. As most of it will go it no the drive away awning. In even thinking collapsing clothes rails

you not worried about lose times in the van if anything was to happen?
We put the large folding chairs and anything else hard and large that could possibly fly about on the bottom and then put the heavy awning and bags full of cloths etc on top of them. We then cover everything over with the external screens which are basically like a thick blanket.
Anything small which will not fit in the lockers like the hookup cable, pump etc. are stowed in the back where they can not escape.

If you don’t have a pop top then fit a roof box.

Pete

Hi…After 2 yrs of van camping we ended up with a trailer….We love it for the flexibility it gives….but it’s not for everyone have you considered renting one to try before ( if ) you buy…But if you do get one make sure you future proof what it can do…Mine carriers our bikes and I’ve mounted a Thule awning and it’s used to mount the solar panels when camping

ps.. We are about to buy an SUP…the kit comes in quite a big bag…so I’ve still got space for the kitchen sink:)

684A7C6E-4934-4B66-88A1-D450CDD80FE5.jpeg

Our approach is to get it all in the van on the floor, with the drive-away awning readily accessible.
As soon as you arrive, put the awning up, then transfer stuff to the awning.
Then have a drink and enjoy yourself.

With 2 of us in a SWB camper, we take 2 bikes on the back, 2 kayaks on the folded down bed, boxes of stuff on the floor, and loose stuff in the roof box.
If stuff starts flying around in an accident, then you are probably not on all 4 wheels anyway !
You will get it wrong the first time, but just learn as you go, and stay chilled.

Pete

So hopefully getting away in our new van very soon. I had hoped to get a Few local trips done before the first long one, but delays in the build mean our 1st trip is going to a week away on a campsite..... can't wait.

it's myself, wife and wee one. We have a Rib so fair bit of rear and under seat storage. Have a toebar and toebar bike rack.

got thinking about space and packing. We have a fair bit. As well as the usual cloths, bedding, toys food etc... would be looking to take;

inflatable awning
Inftanle stand up paddle boards.. ideally 2 pretty big bags.
Outdoor foldable table, chairs etc.
outdoor bbq/stove?

I was considering getting a trailer with a top that you can attach roof mouthed bike rack too. (Already have the bike racks to fit).

is this total over kill? I would like to be able to take our outdoor gear as this is why we went for a van. Paddle boarding and biking holidays away.

I guess people also pack stuff in the living area of the van when travelling? Not sure how safe that is in crash? Could always secure it somehow?

would really appreciate peoples thoughts.
you will have to change your name after next week.... every one on a camp site is in the same position. you have to trust everyone. there is no other option. you have to leave your kit in the awning.. take your valuables with you in the van and close the awning curtains when you drive away. As the others have said pack it all in so its not rattling or sliding around. NO rattles means it packed pretty good. look what you take this trip and see what you don't use for next time. all your cloths might get damp hanging on cloths rails.... will your paddle boards slide under the van and don't have a crash ... enjoy your trip and enjoy you van...

if something slides don't let yourself get distracted with it .... just sort it out when you can safely stop...

Hi…After 2 yrs of van camping we ended up with a trailer….We love it for the flexibility it gives….but it’s not for everyone have you considered renting one to try before ( if ) you buy…But if you do get one make sure you future proof what it can do…Mine carriers our bikes and I’ve mounted a Thule awning and it’s used to mount the solar panels when camping

ps.. We are about to buy an SUP…the kit comes in quite a big bag…so I’ve still got space for the kitchen sink:)

View attachment 120997
Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Might be worth renting as you suggest. Most of my trips will just be 2-3 nights so doubt very much will need it most of the year.

First trip with family (inc kids) - if you have a trailer, use it. Then whe. You are there, rationalise what you pack. If you don’t ha e a trailer, don’t buy on specially! Work it out to suit you and your needs!!!

Our approach is to get it all in the van on the floor, with the drive-away awning readily accessible.
As soon as you arrive, put the awning up, then transfer stuff to the awning.
Then have a drink and enjoy yourself.

With 2 of us in a SWB camper, we take 2 bikes on the back, 2 kayaks on the folded down bed, boxes of stuff on the floor, and loose stuff in the roof box.
If stuff starts flying around in an accident, then you are probably not on all 4 wheels anyway !
You will get it wrong the first time, but just learn as you go, and stay chilled.

Pete
Cheers, yeah no doubt first trip I'll mess up a few things. But going to be going mates with their caravan who haven't seen for years so will be a great Time either way.
The reason I was concerned about putting stuff on the floor was the wee one in the back to be honest. But not like I'll speeding in the Ben anyway.

you will have to change your name after next week.... every one on a camp site is in the same position. you have to trust everyone. there is no other option. you have to leave your kit in the awning.. take your valuables with you in the van and close the awning curtains when you drive away. As the others have said pack it all in so its not rattling or sliding around. NO rattles means it packed pretty good. look what you take this trip and see what you don't use for next time. all your cloths might get damp hanging on cloths rails.... will your paddle boards slide under the van and don't have a crash ... enjoy your trip and enjoy you van...

if something slides don't let yourself get distracted with it .... just sort it out when you can safely stop...
Good advice thanks

Back