Engine Cut Out At Speed !

arn

hi all, just a question to all t6 owners,
i have a t6 4 motion 204 ps dsg, and it has cut out on me 3 times, 2 weeks ago i was on the motorway and pressed the throttle fully and the engine cut out on me in the 3rd lane, i was able to get to the hard shoulder and restart and move on. a bit scary tho.
the computer on the dash said it was a start stop function.
i took it to two vw dealers one garage said it was the fuel pump and that i had to have a new one fitted at a cost of around 1500, not good as it is only out of waranty by 1 month, so i took to the other vw garage and had it serviced by them and they said they will look into it, they said they could find no problem, since then its happened again, i was driving in a 30 zone and when it finished a gave it some gas to speed up and once again engine cut out with the same massage.
i always drive it with the start stop function turned of as i dont like it.
anyone else encountered this problem,
many thanks

There's a very long thread on this subject...do a search and you'll see...mines done it a few times, but only when slowing down at a junction.

Should have 3 years warranty, I thought the first T6’s came out September 2015????

Should have 3 years warranty, I thought the first T6’s came out September 2015????
even if its an imort, i live in swiss and had imported as saved alot, but garage said when you import to swiss then its only 2 years, but if i had bought from them it would have been 3 years.

Hi, I need help in identifying a fault with my T6 DSG 4M 204 2018. While driving along motoway at 75mph in cruise control with active breaking on, the engine just cut out suddenly and I had to get to hard shoulder with no power and van slowing down very rapidly. Once on hard shoulder their was no ignition lights on and no warning light either, put van into park, switched the key and the van was fine.

Could have been very dangerous if on a different road with traffic coming in opisite direction as steering was baerly usable and breaks been limited.

Phone VW assist and they can't find any fault codes after pluging in his computer

and recommend going to dealer but after speaking with them they said it would be unlikely to find any fault if the VW assist had no joy.

Has anyone experienced this or any idea what the fault could be ?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to T6F.

Sounds worrying.

Did you loose electrical power, or just engine power?

Have you got carista or other to read any fault codes? If it's electrical you should have a fault code.

The ECM runs the engine, the BCM runs the body, so even if the ECM dropped out the BCM should have logged a fault.

Was the call out AA or VW?

Carista - How I Done It -

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited:
Sounds very similar to what a few others have reported although the general theory seems to be it happens going downhill/round corners and/or changing gear, you are not alone with this and as far as I know no one with this issue has had any luck getting VW to do anything as there are no faults logged and no errors for VW to fix
One member with this issue had a fault logged with his van (which seemed to be extremely rare) and VW whisked it back to Germany for diagnosis and gave him a brand new one in its place !

Have a read of this thread and see if any of it sounds familiar
Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Thanks for the reply, the electric power was still on, as I put hazards on and radio still working . It was A VW call out as I know their more likely to fault find

It sounds like you possibly lost electrical power to the engine ECU, this could be a loose connection, loose fuse, faulty ecu. The ecu could have an internal fault the happens when it has got hot on a long journey. This is unlikely to record a fault if it has lost power.
Being so new, I would put pressure on your dealer to spend at least some time checking the electrical side and by holding on to it and use it for a few days and give you a loaner in the meantime.
Also if this happens again in similar circumstances remenber you can knock the DSG into neutral so the you don’t slow too quickly and have more time to manoeuvre to safety.

Another concerning report. Glad you managed to safely make it to the side of the road and out of relative danger.

It sounds like you possibly lost electrical power to the engine ECU, this could be a loose connection, loose fuse, faulty ecu. The ecu could have an internal fault the happens when it has got hot on a long journey. This is unlikely to record a fault if it has lost power.
Being so new, I would put pressure on your dealer to spend at least some time checking the electrical side and by holding on to it and use it for a few days and give you a loaner in the meantime.
Also if this happens again in similar circumstances remenber you can knock the DSG into neutral so the you don’t slow too quickly and have more time to manoeuvre to safety.
Thanks for your advice

That is a nightmare scenario and if there's nothing logged it's even worse as the dealer won't have a clue where to start looking for the issue.

Fingers crossed you get it resolved dude.

Just to give my tuppence worth, I've had the engine cut-out but in my case it was at low speeds.

If it helps anyone my circumstances were as follows:

2017 102 BHP Trendline, manual version.

Van sat around for a couple of weeks not being driven.
Battery drained as a result. Not completely, there was just enough charge to start the van.
Stop/Start didn't work (as a result of drained battery.)
I have a MOLL battery.
Turned Stop/Start off and gave the van a good run (50 miles) until the battery was charged.
Stop/Start now working as a result.
No more engine cut-outs.

To be on the safe side I turn the Stop/Start off at the beginning of journies and the problem hasn't repeated itself, yet.

My conclusion: Shite MOLL battery not holding its charge which is affecting the Stop/Start system.

Hi,

I was towing with my t6 california, 204 dsg 4mtn today.

At full throttle when changing gear the vehicle stalls. Usually at the time when the vehicle changes gear.
Happened on the motorway. Loss of power steering and vehicle comes to a halt

The coil symbol lights up on the dashboard.

The van just had an ecu update at the dealership.

Has this problem been identified?

No fault on dashboard apart from the coils.

It starts up fine when back in park.

Obviously this is incredibly dangerous.

How many times has it happened?

It happens whenever I go full throttle. When it changes gear.

It happened 4 times today. I only used partial throttle for rest of journey. But I can make it happen with full throttle.

Your need to get that booked in with VW.

Thats a drivability concern with some serious issues.

Your need to have the codes scanned.

I'd images there is some emmissions issues with Wide Open Throttle thats causing a shutdown...possibly boost related.... all that should be logged as codes.

I think because your towing, the van is seeing an excessive engine load/demand with you giving full throttle.

Keep us posted with what vw said.....

Back