Engine Cut Out At Speed !

FYI.... I've had something similar once...

DsG but not 4M...

Happened on motorway with CC on, van was decelerating under cc control due to a car infront... but I wanted to overtake..... so I gave the peddle 110% with kickdown..

The engine hesitated as I was fighting the cc... then it just cutout.... flashing yellow.

It went into the dealer today who have been spending the day looking at it.
Apparently its a fueling problem, theyve been running tests all day but they are not 100% sure until they've pulled out the wiring loom and looked.
Its a 65k van with 18.5k miles, and apparently i may have to replace the whole common-rail fueling system. I'm wondering whether VW will help out. Its 6 month's out of warranty.

Its the 7th VW group vehicle i have bought in 7 years....
Polo,
e-golf
golf r
a3 etron
superb
s4
california

There may not be an 8th depending on what happens next.

That don't sound right....

So there guessing as they have no definite answer.... though diagnosing an intermittent fault is always hard...

You said before the issue was repeatable..... you might need to go out with a mechanic and make it happen to give them a better idea. Or the direction of the fault.

A brief update

The VW dealership was unable to diagnose the fault. They decided not to charge me for the diagnostics.

VW has suggested that it is the pump and perhaps the solenoid meter valve. However the diagnostics are inconclusive.i could spend 1.5k on a new pump, but they will be unsure if it solves the problem.

I was advised to drive the vehicle further until it has a permanent warning light.

Obviously I was shocked at this attitude. It stalls randomly. As an engineer it goes against every respectable engineering process to expect a customer to use a dangerous product. I feel unsafe driving the vehicle.

I complained to VWCV corporate and they have responded that there is nothing they can do further.

So I have an 18k mile van which cost 65k which I can't use.

Try and catch it on film.... as evidence for VWCV.

Maybe use a GOPro or similar to recode the journey or dash clocks...

That may help the case.

I don't need to catch it on film, you can make it happen on full throttle.
They also found the fault codes when it stalls.

But the fault codes do not provide a solution or enough information to definitively diagnose.

There is no uncertainty as to whether it is defective. They just don't care.

It's seems that VW can't be bothered to solve a problem out of warranty even though it's extremely dangerous.

Anyway I'm going to write to the DVSA to investigate as it's not acceptable from a health and safety standpoint.

I can afford a california ocean. It's not about the money. For me it's about a disgraceful disregard for health and safety. I've never had a problem with a vehicle manufacturer before.

It might be good to catch on film for other users to be aware of.

Keep us posted with any updates.

OOI. What were the fault codes logged?

hi all, just a question to all t6 owners,
i have a t6 4 motion 204 ps dsg, and it has cut out on me 3 times, 2 weeks ago i was on the motorway and pressed the throttle fully and the engine cut out on me in the 3rd lane, i was able to get to the hard shoulder and restart and move on. a bit scary tho.
the computer on the dash said it was a start stop function.
i took it to two vw dealers one garage said it was the fuel pump and that i had to have a new one fitted at a cost of around 1500, not good as it is only out of waranty by 1 month, so i took to the other vw garage and had it serviced by them and they said they will look into it, they said they could find no problem, since then its happened again, i was driving in a 30 zone and when it finished a gave it some gas to speed up and once again engine cut out with the same massage.
i always drive it with the start stop function turned of as i dont like it.
anyone else encountered this problem,
many thanks
2020 caravelle ABT automatic had cut out three times on motorway. Had to get over to hard shoulder ( luckily there was one) but third time was on dual carriageway and had to coast until came to slip road. AA came and took van to local dealer. AA found a fault code concerning fuel injector sensor but dealer said as they cleared fault they will have to wait until it happens again. They must see a code before they can change any parts. !! Hopefully I will still be alive to let you know outcome. Will be taking this further as paid 65,000 for this vehicle. I will not take my grandchildren in it anymore.

I don't need to catch it on film, you can make it happen on full throttle.
They also found the fault codes when it stalls.

But the fault codes do not provide a solution or enough information to definitively diagnose.

There is no uncertainty as to whether it is defective. They just don't care.

It's seems that VW can't be bothered to solve a problem out of warranty even though it's extremely dangerous.

Anyway I'm going to write to the DVSA to investigate as it's not acceptable from a health and safety standpoint.

I can afford a california ocean. It's not about the money. For me it's about a disgraceful disregard for health and safety. I've never had a problem with a vehicle manufacturer before.
I know it's a bit late to reply to this particular post, but just a thought......
When a van has this problem and it can be driven in such a way to deliberately cause it, would it be useful to have diagnostics recording live data at the time via the OBD port?
I'm thinking it would show data relating to throttle position, fuel rail pressure, boost pressure etc at the exact moment that the engine cuts out as well as what preceded it.
Obviously you could cause the situation when you know it would be safe to do so.
Just a question for people on here with more technical knowledge than me.

I know it's a bit late to reply to this particular post, but just a thought......
When a van has this problem and it can be driven in such a way to deliberately cause it, would it be useful to have diagnostics recording live data at the time via the OBD port?
I'm thinking it would show data relating to throttle position, fuel rail pressure, boost pressure etc at the exact moment that the engine cuts out as well as what preceded it.
Obviously you could cause the situation when you know it would be safe to do so.
Just a question for people on here with more technical knowledge than me.
Reported to Dvla but said it wasn’t a dangerous enough fault for them to take further. Vw insisted there was no fault. Traded it in last year as had lost confidence in it. Hopefully the fault won’t recur. The garage knew of fault as phoned them when it happened to ask if they knew about this.

Just want to add my experience - the start/stop function cut off my engine while driving on the M25.
Had to stop to engage the DSG in P to restart the engine - this was scary on a motorway.
I drive a 2020 T6 California, just still under the 3 year warranty,
Called VW Assist and they replaced the fuel pressure sensor which had recorded a fault (seen via the diagnostics - no warnings on dash).
New sensor is different design so fingers Xd.

VW technician however added that you can restart the engine manually in N - no need to stop and engage P.

Back